Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sweden - the most tolerant of EU countries

(42 Posts)
CelticRose Mon 26-Jun-17 08:17:47

Did anyone else see the recent anguished televised report on this embattled EU country? The Swedish police have posted an official report. swedenreport.org/2014/10/29/swedish-police-55-official-no-go-zones/

Chewbacca Sun 02-Jul-17 23:21:19

1. 23. 11. No matter how many, it's too many. Women have every right to expect to be safe from sexual molestation no matter where they are. The fact that the organisers of the event in Sweden feel that they cannot continue to allow this event to occur again, for the foreseeable future, indicates that the continuance of sexual assaults at public gatherings, is not being adequately addressed or controlled.

MaizieD Sun 02-Jul-17 23:23:44

www.google.co.uk/search?q=Swedish+definition+of+sexual+assault&oq=Swedish+definition+of+sexual+assault&aqs=chrome..69i57.16254j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Whole pages of views on the Sweden rape cases. Take your choice.

It seems it happens in the UK, too.

More google results:

www.google.co.uk/search?q=Any+cases+of+rape+at+Glastonbury+festival%3F&oq=Any+cases+of+rape+at+Glastonbury+festival%3F&aqs=chrome..69i57.19934j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So what are we supposed to be getting indignant about?

MaizieD Sun 02-Jul-17 23:24:17

P.S. I agree with Chewie that one rape is one too many...

Rigby46 Sun 02-Jul-17 23:27:03

Sweden is a social democratic country which has a good social and economic infrastructure. People are willing to pay high taxes in return for good public services. This is clearly setting us a very bad example and so we must find something to get indignant about to prove that this sort of hard left rubbish just doesn't work. Geddit? grin

Chewbacca Sun 02-Jul-17 23:29:01

No. Not really. How is the rape and sexual assaults of women amusing? I really don't "geddit".

durhamjen Sun 02-Jul-17 23:29:45

Trump started last year, didn't he, telling people to avoid Sweden? Because he believed everything he read in the papers or watched on Fox news.
Surprised he needed to watch it as his best mate now is Murdoch. He must have all the best gossip.

Yes, I agree, Chewbacca, that one rape is too many, but to say there are multiple is just plain wrong. It's building on people's fears.

www.thelocal.se/20160209/look-closer-at-the-facts-on-sex-attacks

There is a racist theme behind the reports.

Rigby46 Sun 02-Jul-17 23:32:10

But why this particular story of rape in Sweden? That's what I don't understand.

Chewbacca Sun 02-Jul-17 23:35:27

I didn't say that there had been more than 1 rape. I said that, depending upon whether you looked at ABC or CBT news, there was 1 rape and either 11 or 23 sexual assaults. Can't believe that the misery and anguish that sexual crimes cause to the victims is being argued over, for the sake of pedantry. And what does the nationality of the rapist/assaulter have to do with it? shock

Rigby46 Sun 02-Jul-17 23:37:19

And why the particular heading about Sweden being the most tolerant of EU countries? For one thing is it? What about Finland, Denmark? Is it relevant its Sweden? There's another agenda here I'm sure. It's not about rape, it's about Sweden. Of course rape is always serious that's why I object to it being used as I think it is in this case to knock a country that some people don't like.

Chewbacca Sun 02-Jul-17 23:38:05

Because it was an item of news on the day the OP started the thread? And he/she posted it, logically enough, under News & Politics? It's as valid an item of news to be discussed as any other isn't it? Rape and sexual assault isn't off limits is it?

durhamjen Sun 02-Jul-17 23:40:54

I didn't say you did, Chewbacca. Petra did.
Sorry if you took it that way.

POGS Sun 02-Jul-17 23:47:27

Celtic Rose you may find this article interesting, plenty more but this is pretty basic.

www.thelocal.se/20170621/no-go-zones-what-you-need-to-know-about-swedens-vulnerable-aeas

"The Swedish police have released a new report on vulnerable areas in Sweden. The Local takes a closer look at what that actually means.

1. What are these vulnerable areas everyone's talking about?

This debate began in 2015 when the Swedish police released a list of so-called "vulnerable areas" as part of their work to map the situation in some of the country's segregated suburbs. An updated report has now been released, which is likely to be the focus of a lot of discussion in the run-up to Sweden's general election in 2018.

The police definition of a “vulnerable area” is: “a geographically defined area characterized by a low socio-economic status where criminals have an impact on the local community. The impact is linked to the social context in the area rather than a wish to take power and control the community.”

An “especially vulnerable area” is “characterized by social issues and a criminal presence which has led to a widespread disinclination to participate in the judicial process and difficulties for the police to fulfil their mission. The situation is considered acute”.

In especially vulnerable areas religious extremism is often prevalent (terror expert Magnus Ranstorp has told The Local that these are often hotspots for recruitment to militant groups). They are also areas where police regularly have to adapt their methods to the volatile situation and residents often do not report crimes, either out of fear of reprisals or because they think it will not lead to anything.

A “risk area” lies somewhere between the two."
----

Your OP link is dated 2014 and states 55 'No Go Areas.'. There are now 61 named 'Vulnerable Areas'.

It is not as the term 'No Go Area' is perceived or that particular term suggests. However Sweden is no different to other European Countries in having problems and it is a folly to deny this is the case IMHO.

Rigby46 Mon 03-Jul-17 00:02:28

I think if you look at the two links the OP gave, it's very hard to call them 'news' given their sources.

POGS Mon 03-Jul-17 00:35:52

Rigby

If you point is the OP has used Breitbart that point is lost when many other sites are available surely.

It is also current News but our UK media resources are not very European Orientated are they.

Is it a Scare Mongering sort of story , a tad possibly, none the less it is a news story and if a poster wants to raise it that is up to him/her and equally up to others to ignore or debate/comment on. Nothing more , nothing less.

MaizieD Mon 03-Jul-17 00:51:00

Sorry, POGS, I think it was posted with intent to incite xenophobia and to denigrate liberal thought. It has echoes of Farage's comments about Sweden being rape capital of the world (discussed at length on here at the time). There's an agenda here.

durhamjen Mon 03-Jul-17 18:55:53

2014 and 2016 are current, are they?
Those are the original links.