Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aimed at the Wrong People?

(365 Posts)
Jalima1108 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:27:31

Was Jeremy Corbyn's speech at Glastonbury aimed at the wrong people?

The well-heeled and privileged people who paid £238 each for their tickets, teepees or glamping extra, running into the thousands of £, cheering him on and lauding him are not the disaffected living in poverty whom he champions. Do they not see the irony in this as they go back to their middle-class comfortable lives, recycling their rubbish and urging us to 'look after the planet'.

This is from last year but I am sure it is just the same this year. Brand-new tents left behind, mounds of rubbish to be cleared up by others - who cares who clears it as long as they don't have to soil their own hands. Someone will do it - probably on a wage less than a quarter of what most of them will earn.

'Takers of the system' as the commentary says:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y70LCoK-XMA

And the fence - the fence!! Perhaps Donald Trump could take a lesson on how to build a huge fence to keep out the hoi-polloi, the less than desirable who cannot afford a ticket.

Who said that Glastonbury is 'The Most Bourgeois Festival on the Planet'? Was it someone from Iron Maiden? Can't remember now but I do remember someone mentioning it.

Oh, the irony.
Obviously Jeremy Corbyn didn't understand that, nor did the crowds he was addressing.

sunseeker Mon 26-Jun-17 17:47:49

Some is recycled but first it all has to be collected. There are homeless shelters all over the country, how difficult would it be for the festival goers to take it to their nearest shelter, after all they carried it all to the site why can't they carry it away.

durhamjen Mon 26-Jun-17 17:53:21

Not at all, kittylester. The more Tories listen to John McDonnell the better. Don't you think it seemed strange that that was all roses saw of Glastonbury?

Ana Mon 26-Jun-17 17:57:15

What seems strange is that you are completely ignoring the matter of debris left behind by the entitled types that attended the festival.

And you so keen on supporting the poor and deprived...

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 18:02:09

Not strange at all, I don't watch Glasto, it has become full of older singers and bands and sound quality always seems poor.
The clip I saw of McDonnell was on the news, and I certainly wasn't watching it willingly.grin just didn't get away in time.

nigglynellie Mon 26-Jun-17 18:24:23

I only saw a little of this jamboree on the news, and while the music is not and never has been my c.o.t, The sight of those elderly rockers (some nearly my age!!) is almost sad! Surely there must be be younger talent?!! Poor souls, I hope they weren't too exhausted! Nothing more yukky than an elderly hippy!!
I totally agree with the amount of garbage left by these festivals goers, all to be picked up by someone else. Surely these middle class folk have been taught to clear up after themselves or does the cleaning lady do it where they come from? I thought they cared deeply for the planet?
Very perplexing!

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 18:27:50

Blimey * nellie* don't you dance at parties or dinner dances or even tea dances grin

I love a good jig. That is a terribly ageist remark you know

Ana Mon 26-Jun-17 18:30:03

So's that - 'I love a good jig'...grin

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 18:31:40

Sorry ana?

Iam64 Mon 26-Jun-17 18:51:00

The latest youguv analysis suggests that higher the level of education, the more likely the individual is to vote Labour.
Yes roses, many do complain about the level of tax they pay. Amongst my family and friendship group, everyone would be fine with paying more tax to fund better public services. The evidence fro Northern European countries who pay high taxes, is they have better public services than we do. They also use less illegal drugs, have lower prison population and lower rates of teenage pregnancy.
As for the number of tents etc left behind, I agree if you take a tent, either take it home or drop it off at recycling place. Manchester's tent city was set up by homeless people but soon dismantled so I don't see giving tents to the homeless as a solution.

Iam64 Mon 26-Jun-17 18:54:45

Oh for an edit button - my point is that by speaking at Glastonbury, Corbyn n was hitting his target audience,
My 30 plus children and their friends have all caught Corbyn mania. Not because of the offer of student fees being abolished, they're all still paying off student loans alongside mortgage/rent/childcare etc. It's because they want a fairer society.

Eloethan Mon 26-Jun-17 19:16:49

It was only a few weeks ago that Corbyn and the Labour Party were accused of concentrating too much on the "have nots". Now it seems he is being criticised for the opposite. Let's face it, whatever he does will be pulled apart by some people.

I expect the older people dancing around at Glastonbury are a good deal healthier and happier than those kill joys sitting at home grumbling.

trisher Mon 26-Jun-17 19:31:34

Lets not forget that one way poor kids get to see festivals is by clearing up afterwards. It isn't ideal and it isn't well paid but there are compensations. Mine did it and complained loudly about the way some of the supervisors treated them, but if no-one had left a mess they wouldn't have gone at all.
Surely it is these people that Corbyn needs to win over isn't it? Isn't the situation that Labour needs more middle class southern votes to win an election?

MamaCaz Mon 26-Jun-17 19:41:52

I was told by DH2, (who definitely wasn't wealthy when he went to Glastonbury) that you have to walk several miles with all your camping gear to reach the site, so regular attenders go with cheap gear that can be ditched. On a typical festival weekend, everything ends up too wet and mud-caked to ever be used again, and twice as heavy as it was at the start of the weekend! Not condoning it, but just explaining the reasoning as it was put to me.

As for Corbyn preaching at the wrong audience, surely it's a good thing that a politician doesn't just aim to appeal to a single demographic.

durhamjen Mon 26-Jun-17 19:45:18

Yes, trisher, that's how mine got to see the bands.
I wouldn't have called them deprived, or even poor, but their friends did it when we lived in Hampshire, so they did, too.

suzied Mon 26-Jun-17 19:53:13

I've never been to Glastonbury but I have been to Glyndebourne and seen quite a few wealthy types leaving the empty champagne bottles around tut tut

whitewave Mon 26-Jun-17 19:56:55

And not just champagne bottles - double tut!

kittylester Mon 26-Jun-17 19:58:17

Not true! My kids, who aren't 'poor' litter picked at festivals (Download is just down the road) to see the bands and earn cash. The jobs aren't reseved for 'poor kids' - very emotive trisher!!

durhamjen Mon 26-Jun-17 20:01:49

'What seems strange is that you are completely ignoring the matter of debris left behind by the entitled types that attended the festival.

And you so keen on supporting the poor and deprived...'

I think you'll find trisher was just responding to Ana.

Ana Mon 26-Jun-17 20:05:10

That post was actually addressed to you, Durhamjen*.

suzied Mon 26-Jun-17 20:07:31

You should have seen the litter at Royal Ascot

phoenix Mon 26-Jun-17 20:24:51

No opinion on Glastonbury, but admit to being pretty anal concerned about recycling and litter.

I'm fortunate to live in a lovely rural area, but often see litter left, sometimes just the odd wrapper, sometimes whole bags left in lay bys.

Also firm supporter of Freecycle, even though some of the items offered are a bit confused

Baggs Mon 26-Jun-17 20:30:30

What I don't get, never have and never will, is why people leave trash behind them AT ALL, EVER. Have they no self-respect?

varian Mon 26-Jun-17 20:48:17

The festival organisers pay £750,000 to clear the site and restore the farmland. The price is included in the ticket price. Much is given to charities, including tents and wellies. Even so, it would be better if they all removed their own rubbish.

Washerwoman Mon 26-Jun-17 21:39:39

Me too Phoenix.Litter,fly tipping ,waste is my absolute major bug bear.I simply don't get it.Ever.Never will and justifying as a means to get into a festival and earn some money.Sorry don't get that one either.All my DCs have been to festivals,admittedly not Glastonbury but several other big ones.They all came back with mud caked gear and sleeping bags that all washed and we're fit for purpose again.Tents were cleaned,and if in too bad a state disposed off in our rubbish.Don't care what taste in music ,or political persuasion,deal with your own rubbish wether at a festival,or just generally.But then I have been known to tackle the lads that seem able to carry full bags of food and beer to a local beauty spot,and yet can't carry them away when emptied. Politely.

rosesarered Mon 26-Jun-17 21:46:18

Litter is a big problem of our age.....don't get me started on the chewing gum you find ground into pavements.angry