Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aimed at the Wrong People?

(365 Posts)
Jalima1108 Mon 26-Jun-17 16:27:31

Was Jeremy Corbyn's speech at Glastonbury aimed at the wrong people?

The well-heeled and privileged people who paid £238 each for their tickets, teepees or glamping extra, running into the thousands of £, cheering him on and lauding him are not the disaffected living in poverty whom he champions. Do they not see the irony in this as they go back to their middle-class comfortable lives, recycling their rubbish and urging us to 'look after the planet'.

This is from last year but I am sure it is just the same this year. Brand-new tents left behind, mounds of rubbish to be cleared up by others - who cares who clears it as long as they don't have to soil their own hands. Someone will do it - probably on a wage less than a quarter of what most of them will earn.

'Takers of the system' as the commentary says:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=y70LCoK-XMA

And the fence - the fence!! Perhaps Donald Trump could take a lesson on how to build a huge fence to keep out the hoi-polloi, the less than desirable who cannot afford a ticket.

Who said that Glastonbury is 'The Most Bourgeois Festival on the Planet'? Was it someone from Iron Maiden? Can't remember now but I do remember someone mentioning it.

Oh, the irony.
Obviously Jeremy Corbyn didn't understand that, nor did the crowds he was addressing.

Rigby46 Wed 05-Jul-17 16:53:08

As ever Eleo you say it all.

Ana Wed 05-Jul-17 16:54:56

It's not Eleo it's Eloe! hmmf

Rigby46 Wed 05-Jul-17 17:01:08

Ooohhhh don't let ab see you correcting spelling mistakes.

Ana Wed 05-Jul-17 17:04:14

It's not exactly a spelling mistake, is it? More of a mis-reading mistake. You're not the only one, you'll be glad to know, Rigby.

durhamjen Wed 05-Jul-17 17:05:57

I bet it's the first misreading mistake you've corrected, though, Ana.

MaizieD Wed 05-Jul-17 17:45:45

What I want to know is is Eloethan pronounced as threee syllables, 'El' oe' 'than' or four ,El' 'o' 'e' 'than'? grin

I'm a bit bemused at the way this discussion is going. To me the salient factor is 'were the EU workers hired on the basis of previous years' amounts of rubbish left, the amount of time needed to clear it and the number of people needed to clear it or were they indeed recruited under false pretences, as the story seems to be implying?

It would seem extraordinarily callous to promise two weeks work, let people pay their air fares and plan on the strength of what they expected to earn, and then turn them off after a couple of days and disclaim all responsibility for them.

But this is just one news story; are there any other versions of the same story doing the rounds. would be interesting to see if it were presented differently by other sources.

All this pearl clutching over the amount of rubbish 'privileged' people leave behind after Glastonbury seems a bit irrelevant to me.

And I don't approve at all of the growing widespread use of zero hours contracts.

durhamjen Wed 05-Jul-17 18:18:21

In my head, I always pronounce it with four syllables. It doesn't sound right otherwise. I do hope I am right.

Ana Wed 05-Jul-17 18:27:17

Three.

MaizieD Wed 05-Jul-17 18:29:49

And is the 'th' pronounced as in 'the' or as in 'thing'?

We have to know...

durhamjen Wed 05-Jul-17 18:55:42

How do you pronounce the name Ethan?

MaizieD Wed 05-Jul-17 19:11:21

Ethan? 'th' as in 'think.

I have to say I've always thought Eloethan was meant to represent 'Ello, Ethan' grin

Ilovecheese Wed 05-Jul-17 19:13:34

EEEthan

Ilovecheese Wed 05-Jul-17 19:14:28

I think that was how they pronounced it in "Thirty Something"

durhamjen Wed 05-Jul-17 19:24:46

Exactly, Maizie, that's how I say it.