Gransnet forums

News & politics

Food Banks

(158 Posts)
M0nica Thu 29-Jun-17 09:10:59

At various times this has come up on GN and inevitably there has been the occasional member who has peddled the usual urban myths about some families living off Food Bank supplies and even selling the food supplied and the majority of customers not really needing it.

Finally, there has been some serious research into the issue and it shows just how desperately poor and, some quite literally starving, the vast majority of Food Bank clients are.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40431701

trisher Mon 18-Sep-17 22:51:21

It isn't nonsense to think that if Foodbanks have increased in the last few years to such a great extent they will eventually reach saturation point where there will not be enough food to go round and people will starve. Still if you think it's nonsense that's fine isn't it. Never happen. When I grew up no-one would have imagined people would ever again need charity to eat.

durhamjen Mon 18-Sep-17 22:52:13

Lemongrove, I thought you wanted people to stick to the point, rather than write about other posters.
In which case, saying that you think trisher has lost the plot is really not on, is it?

Theresa May is in Canada at the moment. Foodbank use has risen to pre recession numbers in Toronto. I really don't want us to copy Canada, and have close links with them.
Pensioner use has risen by 27%.

durhamjen Mon 18-Sep-17 22:55:00

Lemongrove, where do you get your news from?
People are dying in the streets here.
Rich students burn £50 notes in front of beggars.
I suppose you will laugh at that idea as well.

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Sep-17 17:52:04

Asking if someone is your little echo is a pretty nasty thing to post lemon

Welshwife Tue 19-Sep-17 18:08:39

I understood that minimum wage or whatever it is called was a legal requirement now - so any employers NOT paying that are breaking the law. I know that some bad employers are charging migrants workers for things so that they earn virtually nothing but a lot of that is not legal either and the police etc are trying to stamp out the slave culture in some areas.
The EU do a lot for workers rights - one of the things which is likely to be downgraded when UK leaves - under the heading of 'getting rid of red tape'.

durhamjen Tue 19-Sep-17 18:48:01

Agreed, Welshwife.
Anyone who knows of any companies doing that should inform on them, as those companies are the ones who are responsible for our dire wages, not the people who are being paid low wages.
Why is it always the worker who is blamed, rather than the employer?

Welshwife Tue 19-Sep-17 22:24:13

I feel so sad for the people who need to rely on food banks to feed their families. Here in France they have a different system and instead of having the large 'bins' in the supermarkets every few months volunteers are at the entrance to supermarkets and offer you a carrier bag (small) and a list of modest but needed items. We always take one and put several items in and we try and choose things which are not the cheapest on the list - many people who give themselves have little, so while I can still afford to put in small treats for children etc I do so. It must be awful to only get the cheapest of everything as grateful as you are for being given food.
I can not see any hope for the need of these lifelines to be no longer required in the near future.