Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cliff Edge anyone?

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 07:31:33

This term gets bandied about in relation to Brexit without any of the consequences attached to it.

I have just done some research/ reading and thought it was time we all had the opportunity to discuss what exactly a "cliff edge Brexit" means and whether it can be taken seriously as a "no deal is better than a bad deal" deal.

So talks have failed and our government decides to go it alone.

It is day one of Britains great adventure

We have no trade deals with the EU or the rest of the world.
The economy goes into recession
We now have in front of us several years of negotiating trade deals both with our potentially biggest customer -Europe and the rest of the World.
Countries like Argentina and others that bear a grudge will block any dealings with the WTO.
Getting exports to Europe will become an absolute nightmare, as even if we have successfully arranged our borders for a post Brexit scenario, Europe has only just begun to get their border controls in place for the flow of goods to and from the UK.
The SE becomes a huge lorry park as good stand waiting to be processed. There is a potential for shortages to occur- particularly in relation to food, as there is only one port in Europe that is set up to deal with this commodity, and that is not yet functioning.
Issues like "country of origin" causes complete chaos for business and everything becomes a bureaucratic nightmare.
Flights are delayed/cancelled until the UK can do its own deals with regard to flight rights.
And of course as we have read only recently, nuclear material will dry up, threatening cancer and other treatment.

References are available on request????

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 09:22:57

What a silly article by the Telegraph. Until negotiations are completed how does business k ow what the new regime will be?

I despair at the ignorance of it all

MaizieD Fri 30-Jun-17 09:30:15

Well, they could be training some staff up for the hours of extra paperwork they'll have to do.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 09:31:31

grin first recruit?

durhamjen Fri 30-Jun-17 09:49:57

Exactly, whitewave. Just what I thought, but I wondered if it was too simplistic and I'd missed something.

Will Brexit, cliff edge or not, make this a thing of the past?

www.indy100.com/article/flys-london-newcastle-spain-cheaper-pubic-transport-train-menorca-7810996

By the way, I know two people who flew from Copenhagen to Stansted to Dublin to Newcastle as it was cheaper than flying Copenhagen to Newcastle, just a couple of weeks ago! They don't want to go back the same way, as it meant sitting at Stansted overnight.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 10:28:30

Won't be able to do that in 18 months time if we have a no deal

GillT57 Fri 30-Jun-17 10:48:39

The woman in the audience on QT who was getting all excited about the brave new world post EU summed it all up I think. She was rambling on in an incoherent manner about how rubbish everything is and how wonderful it will be when we 'take back control'. There are so many lies being peddled by people like Liam Fox, all this nonsense about 82%. The most sense on QT last night came from the Editor in Chief of The Economist, and several over excited idiots in the audience booed when she came out with what they saw as unpalatable truth;I still maintain that the majority of Brexit voters did not know what they were voting for and I am furious that they are having a massive impact on my future financial and economic security based upon a pack of lies painted on the side of a bus.

durhamjen Fri 30-Jun-17 10:51:11

Was that the stupid woman who said we'd managed by ourselves for hundreds of years?
We'd managed without electricity for hundreds of years. I'd like to see her go back to that.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 10:54:21

Brexiters are in a state of total denial. It is clear as no one seems willing to discuss it even on here.

Welshwife Fri 30-Jun-17 11:38:44

The three women on QT were far better than the men - I was watching it wondering if some of you were watching too as the founder of the Canary was on. - that diabolical Nick F whatever his name is tried to rubbish her but she had an answer.

GillT57 Fri 30-Jun-17 11:52:21

yes that was the one dj, very misguided, to put it mildly, I am truly baffled as to what people expect to happen after Brexit, I half expected her to start singing Land of Hope and Glory. The founder of Canary lost my support when she started repeating rumours and urban myths about the cladding having been put on Grenfell Tower to make it a better view for the private blocks, and her wild accusations that somehow the fact that the majority of the residents were ethnic minorities and/or asylum seekers was a cause of the fire. Stella Creasey came over well I thought.Nick Ferrari is a typical mouthy shock jock, but I did agree with him about cancelling HS2. Liam Fox is and always has been a self serving fool

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 17:06:04

Figures just released confirms that Britain has the worst performing economy amongst the major economies of the world..

Let's hear it for Brexit!!!!

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 17:08:18

Remember the good old days? We will soon be back in control and the sick man of Europe once again

Deedaa Fri 30-Jun-17 22:44:30

DD said her boss is incandescent today. They are involved in several multi million euro research projects in Europe and, as the most experienced and best qualified, he was co ordinating one of them. He's now been told that they've decided it's probably best not to have a British co -ordinator. It didn't go down well!

Tegan2 Fri 30-Jun-17 23:27:34

I don't watch Question Time very often these days but gave it a go last night, and was appalled by the audience booing the lady from The Canary. It brought back memories of the awful referendum debate when Boris was cheered at the end.Tyerecwas the usual woman in the audience talking about how great we had been and how great we would be again (sigh; no boos for her). The day after the referendum I was in Yorkshire and spoke to someone who was in the haulage industry and she was explaining to me the problems brexit would cause. Her house was the only house in the area with EU flags outside so I knocked on her door to thank her. I'm still waiting to be given some sort of concrete evidence that things are going to be wonderful one day. By the way, there's a new book out called Last Hope Island which tells of the many Europeans that came here and helped us 'win the war'...so we didn't just don't all by ourselves, as some Little Britainers tend to believe. Can't do a link to the review I'm afraid.

durhamjen Fri 30-Jun-17 23:38:57

'An engrossing account of how Britain became the base of operations for the exiled leaders of Europe in their desperate struggle to reclaim their continent from Hitler.

When the Nazi blitzkrieg rolled over continental Europe in the early days of World War II, the city of London became a refuge for the governments and armed forces of six occupied nations - Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg, Norway, Czechoslovakia, and Poland - who escaped there to continue the fight.

So, too, did General Charles de Gaulle, the self-appointed representative of free France.

As the only European democracy still holding out against Hitler, Britain became known to occupied countries as 'Last Hope Island'.

In this epic, character-driven narrative, acclaimed historian and New York Times-bestselling author Lynne Olson takes us back to those perilous days when the British and their European guests joined forces to combat the mightiest military force in history and restore order to a broken continent.'

A long read, Tegan; nearly 600 pages.

Tegan2 Fri 30-Jun-17 23:47:43

As I even struggle with Bill Bryson books these days I don't think I'll attempt to read it! The review of it in The Times was food for thought, though. There is one quote that's interesting....'this early pattern of a scared and poorly prepared Britain making a scapegoat out of small continental powers-and then out for France- was a depressing one'. Hmm; sounds familiar, that.

durhamjen Sat 01-Jul-17 00:18:09

Sounds like it could be taken in small doses, but I'd need more time to get to grips with it.
Of course, if I were an MP with twelve weeks holiday ahead of me...
What a stupid time to have twelve weeks holiday. We need a parliament to discuss and debate Brexit.

whitewave Sat 01-Jul-17 06:59:03

It could be that is exactly what the Brexiters dont want.

Each day makes the prospect worse

Welshwife Sat 01-Jul-17 07:39:17

Gill I saw a couple of reports in the papers that the residents of more upmarket houses did complain about the appearance of the tower blocks so maybe at least a grain of truth in that at least.

I am always astounded at the vitriol and anger of the Brexit people in the QT audience. They seem to have very few Remainers and I think that many people have not changed their minds at all but are a bit resigned to what will probably happen.

Heard on R4 this morning that a chap who I assume is a Civil Servant who was working for D Davis has said that TM is the one causing the slowness of the talks in Brussels because of her intransigence and her 'red lines'.

whitewave Sat 01-Jul-17 08:09:49

WW yes I heard that. I quite believe it. The Tories have a real millstone around their knecks with May. But saying that DD does not exactly spire with confidence. Why can't they find people with intelligence, flair and good social skills? There must be someone!

whitewave Sat 01-Jul-17 08:36:35

Talking to daughter who was saying that leaving Eurotom is going to cause her laboratory real difficulties. There is now a probability that it will relocate to Europe.

whitewave Sat 01-Jul-17 09:07:04

A s a result of the £ value dropping, consumer spending is declining rapidly.

Households in the U.K. are in the grip of the most protracted squeeze on living standards since the 1970s.

Data shows that the UKs growth was brought to an abrupt halt following the Brexit vote.

The economy is extremely fragile and we are in a precarious position. If it receives any knocks it will be entirely unable to defend itself.

Anyone like to suggest that remainers are crying wolf. I hesitate to say we told you so but I won't.

In fact I will say it loud and clear

WE TOLD YOU SO!!

ana First 4 lines from the Guardian, last 2 line my own.

MaizieD Sat 01-Jul-17 10:33:44

Not only is consumer spending dropping but personal debt is massive. So not only are prices rising but many consumers must be reaching the limit of their overdrafts.

It's all pointing to a recession.

whitewave Sat 01-Jul-17 10:37:03

If a recession does occur, because of Tory mismanagement of the economy it will mean a massive problem, and one from which we will have real difficulty from recovering.

durhamjen Sat 01-Jul-17 10:40:23

Maiden speech from my new MP. Yours as well, Maizie?

Pretty good. She should end up on the front bench.

voxpoliticalonline.com/2017/07/01/that-firebrand-maiden-speech-from-labours-laura-pidcock-in-full/

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion