Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cliff Edge anyone?

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 07:31:33

This term gets bandied about in relation to Brexit without any of the consequences attached to it.

I have just done some research/ reading and thought it was time we all had the opportunity to discuss what exactly a "cliff edge Brexit" means and whether it can be taken seriously as a "no deal is better than a bad deal" deal.

So talks have failed and our government decides to go it alone.

It is day one of Britains great adventure

We have no trade deals with the EU or the rest of the world.
The economy goes into recession
We now have in front of us several years of negotiating trade deals both with our potentially biggest customer -Europe and the rest of the World.
Countries like Argentina and others that bear a grudge will block any dealings with the WTO.
Getting exports to Europe will become an absolute nightmare, as even if we have successfully arranged our borders for a post Brexit scenario, Europe has only just begun to get their border controls in place for the flow of goods to and from the UK.
The SE becomes a huge lorry park as good stand waiting to be processed. There is a potential for shortages to occur- particularly in relation to food, as there is only one port in Europe that is set up to deal with this commodity, and that is not yet functioning.
Issues like "country of origin" causes complete chaos for business and everything becomes a bureaucratic nightmare.
Flights are delayed/cancelled until the UK can do its own deals with regard to flight rights.
And of course as we have read only recently, nuclear material will dry up, threatening cancer and other treatment.

References are available on request????

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 09:53:39

I might change my mind and get an iPad, then.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 02-Aug-17 09:56:23

I have just put a post on whitewave's "Our country post Brexit" which might have been better here - sorry if it should have been.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 09:56:41

I am surprised that the Brexiters are using their energies in carping on this thread rather than enthusing on the post Brexit thread.

I very much suspect it is empty of examples because they can't think of any.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 09:59:24

It doesn't matter gg no one seems to be able to think of any thing positive to say anyway. The Brexiters would rather come on here and moan on and on and on

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 10:07:01

Here's an interesting article about Fox's ideas on Brexit - if that is not illogical.
Interesting and Fox don't normally go together.
In fact it's more about Fox being stuck in a rut.

theconversation.com/brexit-and-the-sin-of-originalism-the-past-should-not-define-the-future-81860

petra Wed 02-Aug-17 10:53:17

If all of you who voted to remain in the eu insist that I explain myself, and why I believe we will be better off outside, might I politely suggest that you read what James Dyson ( he voted to leave) has to say on why we would be better off.

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 11:02:43

Go and write something positive on the other thread, petra.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 11:20:00

Dyson is very worried about loosing his £1million though isn't he. I will look it up and post it on the positive thread as the Brexiters can't be bothered to do it themselves.

petra Wed 02-Aug-17 11:25:02

Whitewave
That was a joke wasn't it james dyson is very worried about loosing his £1mil

petra Wed 02-Aug-17 11:26:14

durhamjen
Please try and remember that your not in the classroom now.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 11:26:30

Of courseconfused

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 11:33:36

Hope we aren't putting our eggs into this useless basket.

Wall Street Journal to Trump : you tweeted this morning about trade talks with Britain

Trump: yes

WSJ: Can you tell me more about was is going on?

Trump: No, but I can say that we are going to be very involved with the UK. I mean, you don't hear the word Britain any more. It's very interesting, it's like nope.

End of conversation - good grief!!

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 11:56:45

Please go and write something positive on the other thread, petra.
Is that better?

Wasn't it £1.6 million that Dyson gets in subsidy?

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 11:57:46

Does that mean that trump is lined up to do his trade through Northern Ireland, whitewave?

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 12:06:05

About whitewave's post about Fox spending over a million to get experts to work for him.

inews.co.uk/essentials/news/politics/ministers-blow-1m-headhunters-brexit-trade-negotiators/

Tegan2 Wed 02-Aug-17 12:14:32

I still haven't had a reply from Dyson with regards when he is bringing his workforce back to this county now he has won the referendum that he campaigned so hard for. I know he does research here but it would be nice if he also employed people to make the things sad. When he does so, I may take him seriously.

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 12:16:34

How long ago was that, Tegan?
Send him another.

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 12:20:58

www.spectator.co.uk/2017/07/james-dyson-on-brexit-trade-and-being-britains-biggest-farmer/

He appears to own megafarms in Lincolnshire.

mostlyharmless Wed 02-Aug-17 13:07:24

Helpful EU starts us getting used to post-Brexit border controls at airports.

newsthump.com/2017/08/02/schengen-officials-happy-to-provide-brits-with-exactly-the-kind-of-border-controls-they-asked-for/

mostlyharmless Wed 02-Aug-17 13:09:08

wink

petra Wed 02-Aug-17 14:20:23

mostlyharmless
Every time I fly into Malaga the border officials are on a go slow ( or is that the normal work pace) so I probably won't notice any difference next Monday.

whitewave Wed 02-Aug-17 14:57:27

Keir Starmer has announced that Labours preference is to stay in the single market and customs union.

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 17:59:57

Labour have been saying that right from the start, whitewave.

politicalscrapbook.net/2017/08/confusing-daily-mail-tantrum-eu-border-controls-now-too-strict/

Brexiteers don't know what they want.

varian Wed 02-Aug-17 20:13:58

But does the leader of the Labour party want the same thing?

durhamjen Wed 02-Aug-17 20:20:40

He believes in collective responsibility, varian.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion