Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why so much surprise over Corbyn calling for Labour to Abstain?

(136 Posts)
POGS Fri 30-Jun-17 13:38:18

So many threads mentioning the same so here goes.

An amendment to the Queen’s speech tabled by the Labour MP Chuka Umunna called for ' The UK should remain in the single market and in the customs union.'.

Corbyn called his MP's to abstain from voting on the Amendment and used the 'Whip'.

Subsequently 50 Labour MP's defied the Whip and Corbyn and voted in 'Favour' of the Amendment.

Corbyn subsequently sacked 3 of his Shadow Cabinet for defying his order.

Why the surprise?

At least the voter has a 'slightly' more knowledge based concept of where Corbyn stands on the subject.

Possibly some voters have a lot more knowledge as to many questions relating to Corbyn's personality and perceived idea he is a 'Man of Conscience' and wanting a 'Kinder, more open type of politucs'.

He is a man who for years rebelled on the Back Benches but will not afford the same to others it would appear.

I'm not surprised.

Tegan2 Fri 30-Jun-17 13:49:03

white wave has replied to a similar question from me on another thread. It is a concern of mine POGS; it's all very complicated, isn't it.

Tegan2 Fri 30-Jun-17 13:53:45

I'd still rather, if we do actually leave the EU have a Labour government that will make sure any benefits (if there are any) go to the whole country and not just the rich.

Anniebach Fri 30-Jun-17 14:13:25

Lyn Brown who stood in for Abbott voted with the whip but resigned from the front bench

daphnedill Fri 30-Jun-17 14:30:08

I'm not surprised either, which is why I voted LibDem.

May called the last election to give her a mandate for EU negotiations. I thought all along that reasoning was nonsense, because the electorate wasn't given a choice in the election, as both major parties stood for a hard Brexit. May is now claiming that she has her mandate, because 82% of voters supported a party with hard Brexit in its agenda.

Many people voted Labour, because they wanted to get rid of the Conservatives. They didn't give her a mandate on Brexit.

daphnedill Fri 30-Jun-17 14:30:53

Ah! I wondered who the fifth front bencher was.

Welshwife Fri 30-Jun-17 15:27:42

The electorate have no choice really now if you still feel strongly about Remaining. So many of us have not changed our minds so I am saddened that so many MPs feel the need to change theirs to keep the job! They should be voting for the good of the country not just to keep the job. - in some cases they are going against the will of their constituents.

Anniebach Fri 30-Jun-17 15:31:35

Ruth Cadbury Sacked

Catherine West. Sacked

Andy Slaughter Sacked

David Zeichner. Shadow transport minister resigned

Gareth Thomas. Resigned

Rupa Huq. Resigned

Lyn Brown. Voted with the whip but resigned

Jalima1108 Fri 30-Jun-17 16:02:34

Any suggestions on who is best to lead a new centre party?

Anya Fri 30-Jun-17 16:09:30

Anniebach!

Anniebach Fri 30-Jun-17 16:28:43

I second that

Ana Fri 30-Jun-17 16:34:42

grin

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 16:49:51

So the Labour Manifesto accepts the referendum result and recognises that the UK is to leave the EU.

Corbyn is the leader of the Labour Party.

Shadow Cabinet ministers should just like the cabinet show collective responsibility.

Leaving the EU as we all know means leaving the single market and all that entails as well as the customs union.

Chukka Umunna -for reasons of his own and which is not necessary to go into - tried to amend the QS by putting forward his suggestion that the UK stay in the single market.

Clearly Corbyn et al could not logically vote for this amendment as it would have made nonsense of the manifesto.

Many backbench MPs particularly Labour MPs are like me strong remainers and would really prefer that we stayed in the single market ergo the EU.

Some chose therefore to vote for the amendment. Corbyn has not chosen to punish them by taking away the whip, but he had absolutely no choice and is clearly confident in his authority to sack those shadow cabinet ministers who shunned collective responsibility.

Do not despair all those who are hoping for signs of a softer Brexit.

There is time enough. Labour will keep its powder dry until after the Tories have made a complete hash of Brexit and before we leave.

Sit back and watch the Tory spectacular train crash.

Patience will bring its reward.

Ana Fri 30-Jun-17 17:01:51

Thank you oh wise one - got a crystal ball have you, whitewave?

Anniebach Fri 30-Jun-17 17:12:51

Not all were sacked Whitewave, three resigned

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 17:18:24

Yes I know annie they resigned before they were pushed.

It does now leave room for manoeuvre for Corbyn, as he retained his shadow cabinet out of loyalty after the election.

Anniebach Fri 30-Jun-17 17:26:39

And their loyalty to those who voted for them is less important ?

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 17:28:42

?

POGS Fri 30-Jun-17 19:35:43

WW

"Leaving the EU as we all know means leaving the single market and all that entails as well as the customs union."

I am surprised to see you post that.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 19:43:37

Why?

Ana Fri 30-Jun-17 19:46:25

Was that post a quote from someone else, whitewave? It doesn't sound like you.

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 19:49:49

Which post? Well actually let me say

If anything I say is from another source I will say so. So you can follow it up if you wish. So nothing on this thread that I have posted is from another post including my last post "why"

whitewave Fri 30-Jun-17 19:51:33

An example of sourced information is my OP on the thread entitle "cliff edge "

POGS Fri 30-Jun-17 19:59:35

Corbyn/ Labour have made significant gains in the last election and I won't be churlish to say anything other.

However they sold a story to the voter of being pro Single Market/ Customs Union / Soft Brexit by repeating mantra's.

"We want to stay in the Single Market and the Customs Union",

" Labour wants a jobs first Brexit that means staying in the Single Market / Customs Union "

" Nobody voted to be poorer by coming out of the Single Market".

This has been disingenuous and Keir Starmer who has flip flopped all over the place has been the worst of them all.

If there was a word of truth in this why would Corbyn not have backed Chuka Umunna's Amendment?

Corbyn has made his position very clear and the next time a Labour MP says "We want to stay in the Single Market / Customs Union" they will look even more disingenuous.

I would think there are quite a few Corbynistas who voted for Corbyn and had a blind faith that he would do anything possible to stay in the Single Market / Customs Union, they must be very confused by what has happened.

I think there could well be Lib Dems who voted tactically for Labour but must now be wishing they had voted for their party. Actually tactical voters from other parties must be pretty peeved also.

Corbyn has shown his true colours and I don't know why anybody is surprised a man who has been a eurosceptic all his political life did not back one of his own MP's Amendment.

rosesarered Fri 30-Jun-17 20:12:08

Agreed POGS