Gransnet forums

News & politics

Should Tony Blair comment on Brexit?

(92 Posts)
Cindersdad Sun 16-Jul-17 08:56:21

I happen to agree with Tony Blair on Brexit but the leaders of the main parties seem to regard him as an irritation. Whilst TB made a gross error of judgement on Iraq his views on Europe appear to be better thought out. However, there is a danger that comments from former statespersons just muddy the already murky waters.

Jeremy Corbyn's response just harked back to respecting the referendum result with blind acceptance whatever the consequences. I just hope that sooner or later someone gets through to the automatons that steer the rudderless ship of state.

52% did vote LEAVE but that vote was influenced by lies, prejudice and a dose of apathy. Since then dust has partially settled the "will of the People" is now probably quite different and that should at least be considered.

MawBroon Sun 16-Jul-17 09:07:02

He may comment all he likes, but who believes that he can offer anything useful or credible?
Pi**ing in the wind I fear to keep his name in the headlines (to mix my metaphors)

Luckygirl Sun 16-Jul-17 09:37:44

Oh pur-leese! I am now afflicted with an image of TB pissing in the wind! Grim. grin

durhamjen Sun 16-Jul-17 09:41:22

If any other member of the Labour Party said what Blair says, s/he would be drummed out of the Labour Party.
Why is he still a member?

Jane10 Sun 16-Jul-17 09:43:27

He can say what he likes. People can listen to who they want to.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jul-17 09:47:16

Perhaps momentum will drive him out of the party!

paddyann Sun 16-Jul-17 09:55:24

the mans an eegit ,he should be in jail not pontificating on the state of affairs re Brexit or anything else Anyone LESS like a labour party member/leader would be hard to find.He promised so much when he was elected but his tory roots quickly surfaced and as we can all clearly see he was in it for the big bucks...and himself.Now setting his boys up to follow the same "career" .Lets hope the voters are 't daft enough to vote them in .

Rigby46 Sun 16-Jul-17 10:01:17

Although at one level it's true that he can say what he wants ( although as a LP member that is questionable) all former leaders I think have a responsibility to be careful what they say about political issues after they leave political life. They are easily able to get their views across in private if they so wish.

Baggs Sun 16-Jul-17 10:04:26

Don't see why he shouldn't comment (free speech and all that; I see jane10 has made the same comment). He was PM for ten years which is quite uncommon.
People can still comment from jail.

I don't like him either.

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 10:09:33

What did Blair say?

Anniebach Sun 16-Jul-17 10:09:54

Yes, the days of Labour Party members saying what they want are gone

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 10:16:05

What did Blair say? Can anyone tell me?

Baggs Sun 16-Jul-17 10:27:03

There's this on Sky News, Whitewave, with quotes.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jul-17 10:28:26

Makes a change to see far left supporters in agreement with IDS

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 10:33:42

Thanks bags

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 10:35:54

So I'm not clear after reading the link what he has said that is different to Major, Hesletyne, the Hong Kong bod (name escapes me) and miriad others.

Anniebach Sun 16-Jul-17 10:39:46

He supports the single market

durhamjen Sun 16-Jul-17 10:41:55

institute.global/news/brexit-and-centre

Chewbacca Sun 16-Jul-17 10:44:39

Wouldn't trust TB if he told me grass was green. Can't think of any other PM, past or present, who is as self serving as him.

goldengirl Sun 16-Jul-17 10:46:25

NO! NO! NO!

Chewbacca Sun 16-Jul-17 10:47:43

Would that be a "no" then goldengirl ? grin

whitewave Sun 16-Jul-17 10:48:53

Lot of hypocrisy going on on this thread

Chewbacca Sun 16-Jul-17 10:50:22

Where ww?

GillT57 Sun 16-Jul-17 10:55:01

TB is perfectly entitled to comment on the state of Brexit, he is as entitled as any of us, and to be honest the more people that speak out the better. It is time a few more members of the Houses made their views clear, John Major and Tony Blair agree with each other on this and should both be listened to. I admit to being a bit disturbed about the way the current Labour party dismiss anything he says, he may be toxic to some but he did win 3 elections, so the people who voted for him should not all be dismissed as being wrong or is the 'will of the people' only relevant when we talk of those deluded enough to vote for Brexit?

Oldwoman70 Sun 16-Jul-17 10:55:50

He can say what he wants - what I want to know is why is he having talks with those in the EU? He no longer has any say in UK politics, he isn't an MP and has not been elected to speak for the electorate of UK. By holding his "talks" he is undermining those who actually are there representing and negotiating on behalf of the UK.