Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nigel Farrage where is he now?

(134 Posts)
norose4 Sun 16-Jul-17 19:45:29

After stirring everyone up , Nigel Farrage seems to have feathered his nest , and now is nowhere to be seen or heard of but do any of you who were his supporters now feel let down by his cut & run behaviour?

W11girl Mon 17-Jul-17 11:09:40

As much as I disagree with UKIP/Nigel Farage policies. We always need a thorn in the side of any government...that's democracy. I don't think Farage is out of the picture by any means...he is keeping a very close eye the shambolic handling of Brexit by all polotical parties at present. I wouldn't be surprised if he rears his head again very soon. Regardless whether we are remainers or leavers I welcome his input as it gives me a clear picture of how others are thinking.

norose4 Mon 17-Jul-17 11:21:56

Yeas I do agree W11girl , it is essential for any government to be aware of the mood of general public & to take serious note of it.

Day6 Mon 17-Jul-17 11:35:12

his cut & run behaviour?

He hasn't run anywhere.

He has his own radio show and was on the TV this morning with Piers Morgan and Susannah Reid. I know I'll be lambasted, but this morning his comments were considered, fair and sensible regarding open-door entry to the UK. Even Morgan didn't take him to task.

Crazygrandma2 Mon 17-Jul-17 11:38:54

We recently went to a U3A meeting where the guest speaker gave a very entertaining talk and clearly enjoyed name dropping of all the famous people she'd met in her career. At the outset she made the point that professionally she uses her maiden name. She never offered up her married name, no need to of course. Later that day, when googling her, I was more than a little surprised to discover that she was the mother of of the loathsome - in my opinion - Nigel. They share the same annoying laugh! Now I understand why she uses her maiden name grin

Day6 Mon 17-Jul-17 11:41:52

He was threatening riot and violence if we don't get a hard cut and run Brexit.

It was very unpleasant.

Do you have a link Whitewave?

This morning, on whatever the ITV morning show is called, he merely said that leaving the European Courts and the single market was what the UK voted for and anything short of that was a betrayal of the people.

Like him or loathe him, he is an intelligent man with a good grasp of economics, and not some ranting foaming-at-the-mouth racist as some would portray him.

His place in political history is secured too.

jimmyRFU Mon 17-Jul-17 11:52:26

whitewave says he has some very dodgy friends. I think if we looked hard enough most of them do and sometimes its why they are where they are

maddy629 Mon 17-Jul-17 12:01:41

Petra well said, well ladies why don't you?

Day6 Mon 17-Jul-17 12:12:43

I agree Jimmy. Many politicians have been outed as having some very dodgy links and affiliations.

Many foul, racist and despicable people jumped on the UKIP bandwagon and Farage had to distance himself from them. Whether we like it or not though, he raised an issue, immigration, which the Labour and Conservative parties were dodging, sweeping under the carpet.

It's an issue which had to be addressed, for reasons of common sense.

All of a sudden it became an issue for both main parties, and rightly so, because people were talking openly about it.

I know for many, 'immigration' is a dirty word, but it is something we have to address, unless of course we want an open-door policy and all the economic, social and logistical problems that come with it. They exist, whether people refuse to recognise them or not.

Divorce the issue from any racist connotations and we will have sensible and necessary discussions.

maddy629 Mon 17-Jul-17 12:20:07

Well said Day6 I could not agree more and I hope he will return to UKIP as it's leader, it has certainly gone downhill since he left.

Morgana Mon 17-Jul-17 12:24:22

Unfortunately it seemed to lead to an awful lot of racism. Not just his party's fault I know.

Day6 Mon 17-Jul-17 13:07:33

Oh without a doubt Morgana, UKIP was a party beleaguered by racists.

I wonder if I am alone in feeling that the Scottish National Party is a closet racist group? All proud Scots but under that there is a lot of thinly masked hatred for the UK, and England in particular. I remain surprised that they haven't been called to account.

radicalnan Mon 17-Jul-17 13:24:28

Farage did some excellent work for a campaign group I was connected with, dealing with people who had been victim of NHS negligence. I don't see that he is any worse than any of the others, they are by and large, dross.

As for the racism thing it is so easy to call people racists and believe then, that you have won the arguement, plenty of non UKIP racists about and in all colours and persuasions.

I think he retains a huge personal following because people are concerned about the issues he represents. Democracy is all about having the different points of view explored and voted on, so he and others with differing viewpoints are essential.

Cameron made promises he could not keep and seems to have walked away unscathed. They are all nincompoops of the first order and yet we are saddled with them, all taking their pay and causing chaos.

libra10 Mon 17-Jul-17 14:04:08

I also caught some of Nigel Farage's interview on Good Morning earlier today, and agree with day6.

He spoke clearly and intelligently about several issues, and was an excellent leader for UKIP.

Judging by the rate of pay which he and other MEPs receive, surely on these enormous amounts of pay alone, the country will save megabucks on exiting the EU.

whitewave Mon 17-Jul-17 14:08:20

There have a number of times when Farage has hinted that should Brexit not come about there would be social, unrest leading to riot and violence. No I don't have a link but you can see him with Andrew Neill saying just that.

The man is a menace and extraordinarily unpleasant

Sheilasue Mon 17-Jul-17 14:41:18

He reminds me of those sort of people who like to stir things up. He certainly did too.

Esspee Mon 17-Jul-17 16:14:35

Really? Who gives a damn?

Esspee Mon 17-Jul-17 16:15:49

I meant do you really want to know?

MaizieD Mon 17-Jul-17 16:41:27

Judging by the rate of pay which he and other MEPs receive, surely on these enormous amounts of pay alone, the country will save megabucks on exiting the EU.

We've spent those megabucks already. There aren't going to be any.

And we're going to have to pay the odious Nigel's MEP pension, just to heap insult on injury.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 17-Jul-17 17:10:12

Well for sure he got the UK the kick it needed.
Cocooned inside the web spun by our friends across the channel our 'Thank you I'm doing nicely' politicians were more than happy to have their nappies changed by 'when it and if it suited' Brussels.
I do not believe we have heard the last of Mr Farage
The dragon slumbers.

quizqueen Mon 17-Jul-17 17:42:48

A UKIP supporter and proud to be so here. A Nigel Farage supporter and proud to be so too. So much nastiness on here about someone who only wants his country to be a self governing nation just like all the other countries in the world who are fortunate enough not to have been caught in the EU trap, rather than just a country that feathers the nest of other countries.

He is still leader of the UKIP MEPs and, as he has campaigned relentlessly for 25 years to leave the EU and thereby campaigning to lose his job, he obviously needs to find another. It has cost him his marriage and family life too. He also knows how corrupt the EU really is and that it is not worth him voting on anything there. If you watched videos on You Tube of how the voting system works in the EU Parliament you would see that for yourselves.

If you want to see cut and running then elect Corby for PM, watch him ruin the country as Labour always has in the past and always will in the future, then watch him disappear.

GillT57 Mon 17-Jul-17 17:59:23

Ah, having read a few posts on here I now know how we are in this brexit mess. Explains it all.

suzied Mon 17-Jul-17 18:06:01

Can't believe anyone would laud the odious Nigel but he obviously has his supporters who believe his every word. So noble of him to work so tirelessly in the European Parliament by not turning up that it cost him his marriage, didn't stop him hooking up with a French lady though. As for another job he is now a radio presenter and he could always stand for parliament in the next election, oops sorry he's tried that 7 times already and hasn't won.

whitewave Mon 17-Jul-17 18:08:30

Don't forget his odious friends

GillT57 Mon 17-Jul-17 18:25:35

He is proud of the fact that he has taken hundreds of thousands of pounds in salary for representing his MEP constituency and has blatantly failed to do so. Not sure I would be chuffed if he as my MEP. Even on Parish Council level here in the vllage you have to attend a certain amount of meetings or you get booted off and that is unpaid! It is all very well him telling everyone what a gravy train the EU is, but he is a part of it and will be drawing a massive pension when he leaves, hypocrite that he is. I really am astonished that anyone can think him admirable in any way. My late Father would have described him as a cad. All he is is a well spoken racist, nothing more, nothing less.

suzied Mon 17-Jul-17 18:28:56

Labour ruined the country with their pesky NHS, Equal Pay Act, Employment rights, minimum wage, amongst other ruinous laws. The country was ruined when we stopped sending children up chimneys etc....