Gransnet forums

News & politics

Camilla at seventy.

(95 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 17-Jul-17 09:59:58

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4701896/Camilla-reveals-Charles-no-one-knows.html

Pity the photo is so airbrushed but I do think Camilla is an asset to the Royal Family and absolutely the right partner for Charles.

The 'should she, shouldn't she' be Queen or Princess consort argument will keep rumbling on until somebody takes the (brave) step of announcing that as the wife of the future king she will be known as Queen Camilla when the time comes.

IMO William and Harry would do a lot of good by publicly giving it their blessing.

paddyann Wed 19-Jul-17 09:51:02

isn't photoshop wonderful

Rigby46 Wed 19-Jul-17 09:55:53

I take it that was an ironic comment paddy? How very very sad that they felt the need to use it. Stupid stupid vacuous spoilt vain entitled fools the pair of them. And no ( she says wearily) I am not envious of them

Anniebach Wed 19-Jul-17 10:03:25

Discussions about Diana and Camilla are based on what Diana claimed , where is the proof?

Diana could not have been the lamb to the slaughter some believe her to be , if there was an affair at the time of the marriage Diana would have known, her sister was in a relationship with Charles , was she to unaware of this affair.

I believe the villains of this to be Johnny Spencer and his mother in law , they must have known Diana was mentally ill but they wanted one of the sisters married to Charles . Spencer worked for queenie, the Spencer family lived at sandringham, they holidayed at balmoral . Queenie is god mother to Charles Spencer

merlotgran Wed 19-Jul-17 10:12:01

I was just about to write a similar post about the Spencers, Anniebach. Ambitious, heartless parents have a lot to answer for in all walks of life. It's a little unfair to lay all the blame at the door of the Royals.

Much has been written about the rise and rise of the Middletons. Kate's advantage is that she had a happy and secure childhood and William is close to her parents. How different things might be if she had also had a troubled upbringing.

Jalima1108 Wed 19-Jul-17 10:14:14

I keep asking the DC to photoshop my photographs (they don't) grin

Stupid, vain and vacuous? Oh dear blush

Anniebach Wed 19-Jul-17 10:30:58

Merlotgran, phew I am not a lone voice ? Johnnie Spencer was an awful man, what father would line up his youngest daughter after an older daughter had been involved with the same chap. Diana said in her book ' I just knew I had to keep myself tidy' did she hear a heavenly choir or her father .

What mother -Lady Fermoy- would stand by a son in law who hit her daughter and fight for him to have custody of the children

KatyK Wed 19-Jul-17 11:23:37

For what it's worth, I agree with you Iam64 It's all turned out very nicely for Charles and Camilla.

merlotgran Wed 19-Jul-17 11:29:21

It's all turned out very nicely for Charles and Camilla.

I believe some things are meant to be.

silverlining48 Tue 25-Jul-17 09:53:37

Did anyone watch the programme last night where William and harry talked about their mother. They were very open when speaking about the pain and loss they feel and wonder whether this may set back the plan for a queen camilla.

Anniebach Tue 25-Jul-17 10:14:46

I hope not, Camilla didn't force Diana to play games with the paparazzi.

The programme was as expected, about love and laughter , no mention of the dark side they witnessed , fair enough, a part of their life they have no wish to share

merlotgran Tue 25-Jul-17 10:49:00

It was a touching programme. They now talk openly about their grief must have been hard to handle in the public gaze.

I feel sorry for Kate who has to live with the ghost of her mother in law. She wasn't even able to choose her own engagement ring and soon there will be a statue erected in their garden hmm

Anniebach Tue 25-Jul-17 11:25:02

And a memorial garden in the grounds of her home ,

paddyann Tue 25-Jul-17 11:48:48

Yes they are entitled to still grieve their mother ,every one who loses their mum does,BUT its not news ,its not important to huge numbers of us,it should be THEM mourning,NOT playing the media again.Honestl she wasn't a saint...far from it ,she wasn't the "commoner" they made out she was when she first appeared on the scene.My Canadian cousin insisted Diana "came from nothing and hadn't a penny ,she worked as a childminder ..like me " Lots of misinformation led to the Diana hysteria.Thank heavens we have access to the truth through the internet now .Let the woman rest in peace and stop using her for publicity to keep her family in the manner they're accustomed to.Put public mass mourning back in its box and llets just mourn our OWN family and friends .

Anniebach Tue 25-Jul-17 11:55:07

I agree Paddyann

Smileless2012 Tue 25-Jul-17 15:33:00

I thought it was very moving and reminded me of a lot of good that Diana did.

Both William and Harry have their mother's ease with 'ordinary people'. I think it's wonderful that William continues to go to the homeless centre Diana first took him too when he was just 12 years old. I hadn't realised that it had been his idea to auction off some of her dresses.

I'd forgotten what an enormous impact the photo of her shaking hands with an AIDS patient had, not just in the UK but all over the world.

No paddyann as you say, she wasn't a saint but she was a lot more than the emotionally unstable woman she was often portrayed as being. As for "put(ting) mass mourning back in its box" why should those who wish to demonstrate their grief for someone they may never have met, but felt touched them in some way be criticised?

The number of floral tributes outside Kensington palace was breath taking and I doubt will ever be seen again.

paddyann Tue 25-Jul-17 16:09:51

I'm afraid I dont understand WHY people mourn a woman they dont know ...sorry.I think its a bit odd,as if they have no life of their own and have to hang onto other peoples .All this resurrection of the whole Diana years is simply milking the media again ,as I said the publicity is what keeps the royals where they are

Smileless2012 Tue 25-Jul-17 16:21:04

Well I have a life of my own and don't "hang onto other peoples" and mourned Diana's death. Her sons were talking publicly about their mother, for the first time as the 20th anniversary of her death approaches.

I think it's very odd that anyone would regard that as "milking the
media again". I'm not a royalist but admired the good things that Diana did during her short life and admire her sons too.

Christinefrance Tue 25-Jul-17 16:21:24

It's time to move on now, there have been a lot of changes since Diana's death and the new order should prevail. Of course her children wil not forget her and that is how it should be but their memories should be aired privately now.

Smileless2012 Tue 25-Jul-17 16:27:28

IMO the "new order" is exhibited in William and Harry and in no small part due to their mother. There are often detailed accounts in the media at the anniversary of a celebrities death, why should the 20th anniversary of Diana's be any different?