Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC transparency

(206 Posts)
gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 08:27:42

Details of salaries of those "stars" working for the BBC who earn over (I believe) £150,000 will be published today .

Do we have the right to question these salaries considering that we as license payers are paying them?

Chewbacca Wed 19-Jul-17 15:55:26

Charlie in Casualty seems to have only one expression and it's this confused
Sorry, nothing to do with the thread so I'll just toddle off...............

gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 16:11:29

How on earth can they justify most of them Ana?

At least with commercial TV we get to choose whether to buy the products they advertise. I have no choice about paying a licence fee to the BBC and over how much these nobodies are paid.

devongirl Wed 19-Jul-17 16:13:17

chewbacca have to disagree I LOVE Charlie, wouldn't be the same without him!

gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 16:19:47

.....and that's probably why he commands such a high salary!

The regular viewers might not watch it without him.

Rigby46 Wed 19-Jul-17 16:23:27

We can't realistically avoid buying products advertised on TV can we? For one thing, I have hardly any idea what is advertised anyway as I never watch it live and wizz through the adverts without being aware of the products.

Rigby46 Wed 19-Jul-17 16:25:34

Are people saying we should pay these people less or that we should get rid of the BBC? If the former, how would their pay be decided? Just lowered until they left and then see who else would replace them at that rate?

hulahoop Wed 19-Jul-17 16:28:17

Think majority are well overpaid what ant and Dec earn is disgusting they have just been lucky (they say this themselves) to be doing a job they love .There again I think footballers are overpaid as well not saying they aren't good but again sometimes it's being in the right place at the right time .A lot of actors etc are usually related to others in same profession . It must sicken people who work all hours God sends but I suppose that's life it's always been them and us and not what you know it's who you know .

gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 16:28:50

Are you saying that Chris Evans deserves his salary Rigby46 ?

Personally I wouldn't care if they sacked the lot of them and replaced them with fresh,new, cheaper talent.

devongirl Wed 19-Jul-17 16:39:18

I agree, Gillybob, it's their ability to pull in the viewers that determines what they're paid. Can't stand Chris Evans though, and everything Nick Grimshaw touches seems to turn to dust!

Rigby46 Wed 19-Jul-17 16:41:15

I loathe Chris Evans. I actually watch very little BBC TV - those foreign thrillers on BBC4 and the odd drama series. I hate chat shows, panel games, reality programmes .......it's just the radio for me mainly and C4 news. I just think it's good to have a public service broadcaster but it needs to attract large audiences to stay in the game. I do love watching a tense drama with no commercial breaks

suzied Wed 19-Jul-17 16:43:30

Are we really surprised? we know the media, sport etc are highly paid. Dimbleby, Attenborough, aren't on the list as they make for production companies, but I guess they are highly paid too.

hulahoop Wed 19-Jul-17 16:45:25

Only thing with having no breaks is wanting toilet rigby ?Haha

gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 17:20:18

I can't stand him either devongirl and Rigby DH sometimes listens to him on a morning and I can't even bear to be in the same room. I like a good drama but there doesn't seem to be many around at the minute probably because the BBC is paying all these inflated salaries and has little money left to make them.

Not keen on the old codgers either like Dimbleby etc. Would like to see some NEW talent.

Yes lots more should be on the list but they are paid through their production companies to save tax.

Welshwife Wed 19-Jul-17 17:55:54

Did they say how many hours or programmes they do in a year for that money? Ant and Dec do several programmes going through the year but others don't seem to do that much really.

Would be interesting to see how many hours newsreader etc get and for how many hours a week etc.

Rigby46 Wed 19-Jul-17 18:21:47

Yes I've been wondering about hours of work for the salary ( which of course would be more than hours on screen/air). I'm shocked gilly about the production company getout- at least the others will definitely be paying the right amount of tax and NI - it seems a bit unfair to say the least

varian Wed 19-Jul-17 18:46:13

Does anybody actually deserve, let alone need more than £150k per year?

varian Wed 19-Jul-17 18:53:10

Ok. maybe Roger Federer or Andy Murray are worth a lot, but their winnings are not all take-home pay. They have expenses and a team to support, and their time at the top of their sport is limited. Top tennis players are worth it , but who is Chris Evans? - never seen or heard his contribution to the BBC so I wouldn't miss it, I've sort of seen the odd five minutes of Gary Linneker, (does he advertise crisps?) but I cannot believe Alex Jones is worth more than the average wage, all she does is simper.

gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 18:55:36

I think there are some people for whom nothing is ever enough varian and money is something to be worshiped.

I watched a rubbish program on TV (recommended by my DS) about Russian billionairs and their children and couldn't believe how they live. The sheer greed, the waste of money, the opulence. I was totally gobsmacked.

rosesarered Wed 19-Jul-17 18:57:47

I can't really see the point of doing this ( publishing salaries) .....ok so now we know what some people are earning with the Beeb, but what are we supposed to do with this information? read it and promptly forget about it,(likely) protest on the streets about it, bitch about it etc.

Rigby46 Wed 19-Jul-17 19:00:21

The trouble is that this discussion to be meaningful has to be about fairness and inequality across society - it can't just be about Chris Evans and what he's worth. As for winnings not being all take home pay - tell that to parents paying child care fees and season tickets into work. And none of that is tax deductible. And they probably haven't got any lucrative sponsorship deals either grin

gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 19:01:51

Maybe just have a good moan and groan (me) which only fuels my dislike of certain people (like Chris Evans) even more.

You're probably right roses

Rigby46 Wed 19-Jul-17 19:01:52

I agree rar absolutely <faints>

MaizieD Wed 19-Jul-17 19:30:46

I really don't see the point of the BBC being made to release this information. It might have been slightly more meaningful if the commercial stations had had to release details of top salaries too; you can bet your life that they would be comparable (if not higher).

IMO the BBC is a good broadcasting service with the usual mix of quality programmes and populist rubbish that you'll find on any channel. It has the, in my eyes, inestimable advantage of not carrying advertising. I really dislike constant interruptions to programmesgrin

I agree with Rigby that the real point of significance is the issue of fairness and inequality.
And that people earning large salaries aren't evading paying their fair share of tax.

nigglynellie Wed 19-Jul-17 20:12:25

I also can't bear Chris Evans and actually never watch him, likewise Casualty, so avoid the gruesome Charlie!! However, I do like Fiona Bruce, and don't begrudge her salary at all!

rosesarered Wed 19-Jul-17 20:14:32

grin......you know Rigby we can agree on some things!