Gransnet forums

News & politics

Fight "Brexit" if you want to

(191 Posts)
Cindersdad Fri 21-Jul-17 07:39:14

There is a growing grumbling among the wider populace as more comes to light about the effect of Brexit. I'm on the email lists for several anti Brexit movements. Let's be honest their aims are to stop Brexit in its tracks; that does go against the referendum result which by some is seen as heresy. However, as more truths come to light the less feasible Brexit appears.

www.facebook.com/hashtag/fightbrexit

Now Vince Cable has become LibDem leader he has openly come out saying that his aim is to cancel Brexit. It will be an uphill struggle and not everyone agrees that Brexit should be stopped.

Smaller local events are being planned not just Southern (mainly London) based where you can join in.

In Liverpool (which voted REMAIN) tomorrow(Leaflet and information):
Date: Saturday, 22 July
Time: 10 00 - 1 00
Venue: Lark Lane Farmers' Market
Address: 1 Lark Lane, L17 8UN

You could argue as the Brexiteers will that as a country we are presenting a divided even disloyal image to the EU but when so many of us are trying to resist the cliff edge that is scarcely surprising.

www.europeanmovement.co.uk/

Your European Health Card is in danger!!!

newnanny Mon 24-Jul-17 11:22:57

Cindersdad I voted to leave I was not in any way confused. Why do you assume anyone who voted to leave was confused? I know about 120 people who say they voted Brexit and I have made of point of asking checking with each to see if they have now changed their mind and now wish to remain. Not one of them says they have changed their mind. Who/where are these people who voted to leave but now wish to remain hiding? Does anyone know where/who they are and how many of them actually exist? None of the people I questioned last week said they were confused when they voted. Most are well educated and none have dementia.

There was misinformation on both sides but people are not stupid and can see through this. Please don't assume because a person disagrees with you they are 'confused'. It is so patronizing.

gillybob Mon 24-Jul-17 11:49:59

Some of lads at work voted to leave and even knowing what they know now, they would vote exactly the same again newnanny I agree we each have a right to our own opinion.

Personally I voted remain. I would do so again . But I do respect that the majority voted to leave.

durhamjen Mon 24-Jul-17 12:00:24

Voting to leave the EU isn't like voting for a government that you can change every five years.
It's giving up on 40 years of established law and expecting the hapless government to know how to extricate us.
I voted to leave so you just get on with it and make us leave, is what you are saying.
Unfortunately, they don't know how.

It would have been very simple for May to say that all EU citizens living in the UK can keep the rights they have now, but she even messed that up. Instead she had to say they can keep some of the rights for two years and then we'll have a rethink. Now they have extended that to four years. Wow! Still only some of the rights, because in four years time we might want to use them to bargain with again.

durhamjen Mon 24-Jul-17 12:00:53

Is that what you voted for, newnanny?

Welshwife Mon 24-Jul-17 12:25:53

Barnier will not accept reduced rights for the EU citizens in UK - the 27 may well not allow Uk to leave if they do no agree with the terms/demands etc.

whitewave Mon 24-Jul-17 12:27:41

I think that if you voted Labour and do not support Brexit, you need to feed this information into the leadership. As I think that Corbyn will be persuaded by the voter. He makes a virtue of listening and democracy.

I don't want to be considered part of the 80% that the Brextremists keep talking about.

Tegan2 Mon 24-Jul-17 12:31:11

This is my overriding concern at the moment; I'm supporting Ben Bradshaw and his stance on the EU.

whitewave Mon 24-Jul-17 12:32:43

I've just emailed the message tegan it is easy if you go on the Labour site and go to contact us.

durhamjen Mon 24-Jul-17 12:34:01

That'll be interesting, Welshwife, the EU saying we can't leave.
Can just imagine the howls of outrage.

whitewave Mon 24-Jul-17 12:35:20

Oh this gets better and better ww! What with your last post and the barrister smile

durhamjen Mon 24-Jul-17 12:35:44

Today's fullfact on the issue.

fullfact.org/europe/can-you-be-single-market-without-being-eu-member/

durhamjen Mon 24-Jul-17 12:43:50

Here's a very interesting video about how we have shot ourselves in the foot over trade in services.

www.niesr.ac.uk/publications/euref-missing-debate#.V3UKvfkrK00

durhamjen Mon 24-Jul-17 20:29:28

A government press release.

“International Trade Secretary and President of the Board of Trade, The Rt Hon Dr Liam Fox MP, will travel to Washington to launch the first trade and investment working group meeting on Monday 24 July with US Trade Representative, Ambassador Lighthizer.”

Notice the wording? “Trade and investment” working group meeting. Remember TTIP – the Transatlantic “Trade and Investment” Partnership? The proposed agreement between the US and EU was vetoed after protests that it would harm workers’ and consumers’ rights, reduce the quality of goods to the lowest common denominator, give corporations power to sue governments if legislation harms their profits, and – in the UK – seal the privatisation of the National Health Service irretrievably.

“The working group is dedicated to strengthening the bilateral trade and investment relationship, building on strong foundations and meeting the shared ambition of both the Prime Minister and President Trump when they met earlier this year.”

This is TTIP on the quiet.

whitewave Mon 24-Jul-17 20:43:53

We had more say when the EU was trying for TTIP, enough to stop it. I wonder if this government will listen to us the consumer and user of the NHS to the same extent that it will be stopped if the consumer is too alarmed at the consequences?

durhamjen Mon 24-Jul-17 22:36:06

Will of the people, whitewave?