Gransnet forums

News & politics

HS2 - too much for too few?

(30 Posts)
Cindersdad Wed 26-Jul-17 09:50:11

As one who lives far from the South East triangle I cannot see the cost effectiveness of this investment. It will make only a small difference to journey times over current rail services. To use cost saving as excuse for stopping electrification plans in South Wales and the North when HS2 is going ahead and North-South Cross Rail in London is being actively planned shows a huge disregard for the greater part of the UK.

Many people in the path of HS2 do not want it either.

midgey Wed 26-Jul-17 18:50:59

I went by train this week, there were several families travelling from Stoke on Trent to Skegness. That meant changes trains twice. Manchester and Leeds are important cities only connected by a little cross country train, but thank god we will be able to get to London ten minutes earlier at huge cost to the country and the countryside.

gillybob Wed 26-Jul-17 19:25:09

Oh Yes thank god . The U.K. Economy could collapse in that 10 minutes midgey

Jalima1108 Wed 26-Jul-17 21:35:18

This is for the the BBC who relocated to Salford - it's all for those over-paid BBC staff.

Never mind the hoi polloi.

Primrose65 Wed 26-Jul-17 21:46:21

I think the best person I ever heard speaking about HS2 was Rory Sutherland (he's an advertising guy) He hypothesised that you could pay supermodels to walk up and down the train serving free champagne to all the passengers for about 10% of the budget and people would ask for the trains to be slowed down.