Gransnet forums

News & politics

Our country post Brexit

(1001 Posts)
whitewave Tue 01-Aug-17 07:49:36

I thought I would start this thread to enable those who are enthusiastic Brexiters, to educate us Europhiles and show that our worries are silly and uniformed.

We hear so little from you, except to criticise our worries.

We have so many threads about the negative effects why not have one which shows the positive effects that leaving the EU will come about?

jantee Sun 20-Aug-17 14:45:39

I have found the comments on this thread very interesting. I am a convinced remainer but offer the following post Brexit advantages. We will no longer to be able to blame anyone other than ourselves if things go wrong. our representatives will be able to focus on the real priorities needed for the UK such as reducing inequality and increasing productivity. Maybe they will also work on healing the horrible divide that has followed that poorly prepared for referendum.

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 15:04:17

This is a very interesting article, and it shows up the differences between Brexiteers and remainers.

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/08/17/has-anyone-bothered-to-ask-what-the-eu-gets-out-of-all-this

Welshwife Sun 20-Aug-17 15:31:35

The contributions each country makes to the EU is about 1% of their GNI - gross national income - the other 27 will have such a small increase when the UK leaves about 0.1% that it is hardly worth bothering about - not the huge amount they would have us believe. I did post that on a relevant thread when I first saw it a couple of months ago.

Welshwife Sun 20-Aug-17 15:41:34

That was two interesting links Jen - from many of the remarks I have read from Brexiteers they appear to want and believe that after Brexit UK manufacturing will increase and with it wages will rise -that article is saying the opposite is true. All very confusing.

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 16:26:57

The politics.co.uk link said that in order to negotiate we need to offer the other side something.
What do the EU countries gain from us leaving?
If they do not gain anything, why should they try to offer us better than they have?

petra Sun 20-Aug-17 18:03:27

Why should the eu gain anything from our leaving.
Absolutely pointless question.

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 18:05:54

So we don't negotiate? We just give them an ultimatum and fall off the cliff?
Read the first statement, petra, unless it's too difficult for you to understand.

MamaCaz Sun 20-Aug-17 18:18:30

Not a pointless question at all, in the context of "negotiation". Unless we being lied to about this, and in reality we are not involved in any such thing.

Cindersdad Sun 20-Aug-17 18:52:45

Our leaving the EU is a loose for the EU and a loose for us. The negotiations are going nowhere especially over the Irish Border. Northern Ireland could have a referendum to join the republic but that would raise a lot more issues.

When the public realise just how many lies they were told and how badly the negotiations are going the idea of cancelling Brexit will look very appealing. The country is in a state of numb acceptance at the moment but when the truth comes out.........

GracesGranMK2 Sun 20-Aug-17 20:16:11

Jantee I have thought of these things to, and you are right they would be a positive. The only problem I find is that we could have had a strong government who faced the fact rather than chase headlines (which is why they blame the 'others') without leaving the EU.

MaizieD Sun 20-Aug-17 21:19:01

It seems, Welshwife that Brexiteers who were persuaded by the Economists for Leave's pre referendum paper which promised a booming economy and cake and unicorns for everyone post Brexit missed the little bit which said that abandoning all tariffs would mean the end of British manufacturing. So they (the Brexiters) are happily promising improving jobs and wages in this predicted booming economy even though, according to their guru, manufacturing will die..

FWIW Here's the original paper:

issuu.com/efbkl/docs/economists_for_brexit_-_the_economy

Here's a critique published in response (before the referendum)

cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/brexit06.pdf

And here is a table of pre-referendum forecasts made by various bodies:

ukandeu.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Comparing-Brexit-forecasts-table.pdf

You will note that the only optimistic forecast is from the Economists For Leave. Though they have since modified their name they are the group who have just published the report critiqued in dj's first link.

If you're interested, the Institute for Government (a think tank) have just published their analysis of the effects of the various possible post Brexit scenarios that the UK may choose to pursue:

www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/5704%20IFG%20-%20Frictionless%20Trade%20Web.pdf

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 22:24:34

44 pages? You won't find any brexiteers reading that!
They can only come up with 4 page maximum position papers.

durhamjen Sun 20-Aug-17 23:39:38

www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/i-m-packing-my-bags-today-the-irish-leaving-brexit-britain-1.3189563

Even the Irish are going back home.
117,000 EU citizens left the UK last year.

durhamjen Mon 21-Aug-17 17:46:55

Brilliant!
David Davis is going to try and force the pace.

Who went to the first meeting without even a pen or paper?
Who has been on holiday?
Who has had a stupid unnecessary election?
Who is going to take next Monday off for a bank holiday?

durhamjen Mon 21-Aug-17 21:58:45

uk.businessinsider.com/one-in-four-brexit-voters-believe-they-were-misled-by-the-leave-campaign-2017-8

Good of them to admit it at last.

Tegan2 Mon 21-Aug-17 22:17:07

I met someone yesterday who is campaigning for the LibDems with regards brexit; she said she has never been interested in politics before but is so upset by the referendum result that she has decided to be as proactive as possible. Her husband voted leave but now says he felt he was fed a load of lies and regrets it.

durhamjen Mon 21-Aug-17 22:20:27

Hopefully enough people will change their minds about wanting another referendum - and we will have one.
Both Hammond and May wanted to remain.

durhamjen Tue 22-Aug-17 09:28:42

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-50-studies-impact-economy-nurses-eu-a7893216.html

durhamjen Tue 22-Aug-17 09:37:17

Car manufacturing after Brexit.

"Manufacturers of “Made in the U.K.” cars are facing a worrying dilemma: Their vehicles might not be British enough to escape expensive tariffs after Brexit.

Current trade pacts generally require exporters to prove that 50 to 60 percent of a product’s components are from the originating country to avoid tariffs. But U.K. cars are now just 44 percent British-made on average, according to the Automotive Council.

Such numbers mean auto companies are already bracing themselves for the U.K. to strike post-Brexit trade deals that will most likely require them to source more vehicle parts from within Britain. The demands also show how non-tariff barriers may prove a bigger headache for firms than duties.

“If we have a free-trade agreement with the EU after Brexit, then we’ll have to have rules for determining whether the cars coming out of the U.K. really are considered British cars,” said Peter Holmes, an economist at the U.K. Trade Policy Observatory.

So-called rules of origin are designed to stop parties to a free-trade agreement being used by other counties to gain preferential market access. If Britain leaves the customs union, as planned, U.K. goods may not be eligible for reduced tariffs that are negotiated in new deals if they contain insufficient “originating” content.

Complying with the rules risks pushing up the cost of production for manufacturers and burdening them with paperwork. A report by the opposition Liberal Democrats last year cited research that trade costs stemming from such demands could increase by between 4 percent and 15 percent for all sectors."

From Bloomberg.

durhamjen Tue 22-Aug-17 09:41:12

www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/news_and_events/news/2017/07/news_detail_002789.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1

EMA getting ready for its big move, complete with UK job losses.

durhamjen Tue 22-Aug-17 10:16:59

www.theweek.co.uk/brexit/65461/uk-reopens-debate-over-brexit-talks-timetable

Why don't Davis and May realise that the longer they spend talking about the timetable, the less time there is to talk about Brexit?

petra Tue 22-Aug-17 14:10:36

durhamjen
I see that you like to quote from Bloomberg.
Here's some more quotes from the CEO of Persimmon, one of the biggest house builders in the country.
"The performance of the market in the first half of the year was *not impacted by brexit"
"Outside London first time buyers were continuing to buy homes, dispite fears over eu exit
"As persimmon cover the whole of the uk market, excluding London, so I can give you a colour on that"
"We have seen no discernible change. We saw a bit of a slow down in the lead up to the referendum but since then it's been very strong
"We will continue to invest in the market as they can see no effect of brexit on purchases.
"Since 2012 we have invested £2 billion and are a strong investor at this time * because we can see further growth*

Welshwife Tue 22-Aug-17 14:21:58

There is something about the UK no longer being able to have funds from the ECB now as they would not be repaid by 2019. Things such as Crossrail and HS2 will be impacted and other new infrastructure such as school building and hospitals.

suzied Tue 22-Aug-17 14:23:43

House buying outside London, is an internal market i.e. people buy and sell within the UK, people always need somewhere to live.The strength of the £ will therefore have little effect here. The weak £ has made investment in London property more attractive to foreign buyers which has propped up the inflated London market. As such, house buying and selling within the UK is unlikely to be affected by Brexit. London property has been affected by Brexit, in as far as more foreign buyers and fewer British people can afford to live near the centre.

suzied Tue 22-Aug-17 14:26:38

The above is in answer to Petra

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion