Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sarah Champion

(261 Posts)
kittylester Thu 17-Aug-17 06:50:57

Should she have resigned? Was she telling the truth? Did she jump or was she pushed? Is this an example of political correctness gone mad?

maddyone Thu 17-Aug-17 12:17:06

jalimaterrybull radicalnan and grsnnygrandby I agree with you all. Yes, we all know abuse occurs in all racial groups, and in all social classes, but, and it's a big but in my opinion, it is these particular cases, in 14 cities as I understand it, that the girls have received a second abuse, that of not being believed, or thought to be unreliable witnesses. And apparently the sex worker who reported, over and over again, to the authorities, that this abuse was happening in Rotherham, was rewarded for her efforts by being made redundant!!
We do our children no favours by pretending that this type of abuse is either, not happening, not about two particular racial groups (primarily Asian men and young white girls) and is just the same as any other abuse.
Anniebach You are correct in that Corbyn's actions are most likely to be about votes.

Sheilasue Thu 17-Aug-17 12:33:45

She said what I think was right but the press misinterpreted it as usual, especially that bloody paaper the sun. Never read it.

Shelagh6 Thu 17-Aug-17 12:38:58

I think she should have deleted 'asian' or 'pakistani' and just said MUSLIM men and she couldn't have been pushed. We are altogether still so pic (makes me mad - we've got to change!

gagsy Thu 17-Aug-17 13:16:22

PUSHED!!

Aepgirl Thu 17-Aug-17 13:35:32

I am so fed up with people not being able to speak in case they upset someone. I think she was speaking the facts as they are. Soon we won't be able to identify someone who wears glasses in case others are offended!

Shelagh6 Thu 17-Aug-17 13:46:40

I meant pc but I am sure you all realised

Blinko Thu 17-Aug-17 14:44:29

Afraid I was mystified as to why she 'had to go' till I read this thread and saw that had she interjected the word 'some' before Asian/Pakistani men, she may have been able to stay.

Surely there can be no doubt that we do have a problem such as has been described. Though there has been abuse in other communities (the bbc for one) the scale of it in this case seems systemic and is quite appalling.

We must be able to talk about it; how else is the issue to be discussed and ultimately resolved?

Lyndie Thu 17-Aug-17 15:02:46

We must remember that in court it was said these girls are slags and lesser beings by the men and some of the girls were underage. The crime was appalling These men are 4 percent of the population but doing 28 percent of this crime. So there is a problem. Forgive me for not caring if she missed out the word 'some' . We should be thinking of the victims and to make sure it doesn't happen again.

libra10 Thu 17-Aug-17 16:22:35

In my opinion - she was pushed!

It was political correctness which allowed this terrible abuse to continue so long, and P C is still not allowing the scandals to be discussed.

codfather Thu 17-Aug-17 17:09:21

For many years we had mixed race family neighbour with whom we got on very well. Two of the daughters were away on holiday at Phuket that fateful day when the tsunami struck! They were on the water at the time and the boat capsized!

The parents were divorced at the time but the father, a Pakistani, made no attempt to locate them. I assisted the mother in registering them as missing up until the time they returned safely to the UK. Till this day, I am sworn never to tell them.

In his own way, he did love his children but his son came first. It was his culture that females were not important! Lets not let political correctness get in the way of factual truths!

KateF Thu 17-Aug-17 17:09:47

Why do we pussyfoot around the problem ?? Jack Straw confirmed when he was Home Secretary 97/01, Anne Cryer also said it numerous times in Parliament, so has Sarah Champion, it is Muslim males who are causing the problem within the UK, Denmark, Germany, abusing and raping young females, basically because the religion of Islam allows it.

Go back to the history of Islam in Spain and Portugal it was for 900 years Islamic, the Balkans today.

So recently has Trevor Phillips OBE the ex chairman of the commission for racial equality.

Why is nothing done about it ??? its simple the Arms and associated services to most of the Muslim nations, it is a multi billion dollar industry, as well as the prestige clothing manufacturers, motor manufactures not forgetting the aviation industry.

If Europe is told to jump we say how high !!!!

Sorry but it comes down to commerce.

Marieeliz Thu 17-Aug-17 17:10:41

Yes, frightened of loosing votes.

Jalima1108 Thu 17-Aug-17 17:17:45

nightowl It is/has been widespread across the country so I didn't mean Rotherham specifically when I asked if you had met anyone involved.

rosesarered Thu 17-Aug-17 17:29:14

The targeting of vulnerable white underage girls by Asian gangs has been going on for far too long whilst the powers that be either look the other way or stand by wringing their hands.Sarah Champion was right to speak out, it seems to be a taboo subject and it must not be.
Of course she was pushed out of her job.

nightowl Thu 17-Aug-17 17:45:39

I've explained where I stand on this Jalima but I don't think you understand my point. Nor do many others it seems. It appears to be a simple equation for many posters - criticising Sarah Champion's choice of words must mean you are an apologist for CSE and grooming by gangs (if those gangs happen to be of Pakistani origin - never mind that the gangs in all these places were of many different ethnicities)

I can't even be bothered to try to explain myself any further. I think Sarah Champion has done excellent work for women's rights which is why I am sorry she has let herself, and her constituents down by a very unwise choice of words and by writing for the Sun which is a despicable paper. She has hindered the cause she was trying to help, which is why she has had to resign.

Anniebach Thu 17-Aug-17 17:54:37

Sarah Champion will have spoken to the victims, families , police and social workers in Rotherham,

Corbyn should hang his head in shame for booting her out, he could have said the wording wasn't satisfactory but why not his usual line - I have every faith in x x .

Trevor Phillips has spoken up for her.

Jalima1108 Thu 17-Aug-17 18:05:37

I do understand what you mean nightowl but you when you say
How can saying "Britain has a problem with British Pakistani men raping and exploiting white girls" be acceptable? I'm at a loss.

It is true - but of course it doesn't mean all British Pakistani men and everyone knows that surely - even those who say Sarah Champion should have inserted the word some.

Morgana Thu 17-Aug-17 18:12:56

Totally agree night owl.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 17-Aug-17 18:50:23

We certainly have predatory males abusing young people and it has always been so. This is almost certainly affected by cultural backgrounds but that would be true of high powered white guys, catholic priests, etc., etc., so certain our culture, which ever bit we come from needs to change.

I think she decided to go and, by the sound of things will still be working with the LP in this area - which is good.

Birene Thu 17-Aug-17 20:30:04

Of course she was pushed. She should have been given the opportunity to speak publicly and clear up this implication that she meant ALL Pakistani men(duh!) but that there obviously is a connection , given the high incidence involving that culture.That needs serious scrutiny. If nothing is said or done to stop these men who openly said , in court ,words to the effect that all white girls were trash and fair game. Heavens- many of the latest batch of Pakistani criminals were family men with children!
His mate Dianne Abbott has made some awful anti-white remarks over the years but Corbyn has chosen to protect her! Of course he has his North London seat to think about and all those Pakistani and other Muslim votes to hold onto.

Jalima1108 Thu 17-Aug-17 20:35:37

So is this report from 2010 by the BBC wrong then and were the staff at the BBC forced to resign?

The Catholic Church has faced a raft of allegations of child sex abuse by priests and an inadequate response by bishops. Here is a round-up of some of those events:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/10407559

Surely it should have read some priests and some bishops?

nightowl Thu 17-Aug-17 21:07:43

Thank you Morgana I was beginning to doubt my ability to express myself and make any sense confused

kittylester Thu 17-Aug-17 21:07:55

Did anyone else hear Yasman Alibhia Brown and an Imam from Oxford on Jersey Vine today? They were not offended and said Sarah Champion should have gone further and said that the perpetrators were Muslim not just that they were Parkistani.

Anniebach Thu 17-Aug-17 21:12:08

Were all the men Muslim ?

HannahLoisLuke Thu 17-Aug-17 21:27:02

This subject was discussed on the Jeremy Vine Show today. One if the guests was an iman who said it is a problem with some Asian, Muslim men. He explained that there are certain Muslims who believe that as theirs is the only true religion and the rest of us are destined for hell they can do whatever they like. White girls are seen as trash, chewing gum to be used and spat out. His words and the first time I've heard it put in such strong terms.
Sarah C was pushed for telling the truth.