Gransnet forums

News & politics

Barcelona attack

(72 Posts)
LyndaW Thu 17-Aug-17 17:15:31

They haven't caught the driver. No deaths reported yet but people injured definitely. It does make you want to avoid crowded places. So sad. sad

LyndaW Thu 17-Aug-17 17:16:11

Meant to add a link to the story: www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40965581

Luckygirl Thu 17-Aug-17 17:23:23

sad

J52 Thu 17-Aug-17 17:51:33

Lastest news is grim. There are fatalities. So sorry for all those affected.

ninathenana Thu 17-Aug-17 18:04:31

Watching this now ?

BlueBelle Thu 17-Aug-17 19:36:39

A week ago today my daughter and granddaughter were shopping in that very area When the bomb went off in Brussels airport (was it last year) two other grandkids and their dad had literally just got on their plane

whitewave Fri 18-Aug-17 08:20:11

Apparently this is the 7th shock this year of this sort of terror.

TerriBull Fri 18-Aug-17 09:05:45

I heard the CIA warned Spain that Las Ramblas was likely to be a target. I live near Hampton Court and recently barriers have been erected on the road that goes over the Thames just outside the palace, where quite often there are masses turning out of the main gate and the station at the other end of the bridge. It's reported, as ISIS increasingly lose ground in Syria and Iraq so they have been encouraged to carry out more of these attacks in Europe. European governments know that and must take the necessary precautions, even if those measures ruin the aesthetic and the essence of some places. It's times we live in.

Like all the others before so sorry to read about the loss of lives caused by these wicked people.

Aepgirl Fri 18-Aug-17 10:08:14

Any busy, popular place in any part of the world is a target, but we must not give in to these murderers.

Such sadness for all the victims.

Granfran Fri 18-Aug-17 10:12:54

Watched this unfold within minutes of it happening. Felt a chill round my heart as exactly a year ago that is where my son, daughter in law and 2 grandchildren were. The older I get, the less I understand this world ?

Alidoll Fri 18-Aug-17 10:15:28

I was appalled at some of the footage that was shown on Twitter - showed no respect whatsoever for the families of the dead and dying lying on the pavement. There was people walking past taking pictures / footage instead of helping those people that had been injured. Sure I get some people are in shock but if you can hold a phone, you can hold a cloth to stop blood flowing surely?!

I love Barcelona - it's where my daughter took her first steps and been there many times. My thoughts are with those affected and hope they apprehend all those involved quickly. I wouldn't want the trial to be broadcast so these people can spout their ideologies to others either. Prison showers are dangerous places (or so I've heard)...

gillybob Fri 18-Aug-17 10:19:46

When it comes to these evil terrorists are we safe anywhere ? I find myself wondering where next ?

I agree we can't give in but what can be done to stop it ?

ethelwulf Fri 18-Aug-17 10:19:47

The sad fact is that anywhere crowds gather is a potential target for these extremists. As security is increased in the most "likely" areas, they will simply move on to softer targets. So take care out there, and stay vigilant. A sad necessity in these dangerous times.

Howcome Fri 18-Aug-17 10:44:25

You can't stop this ... only at the point people become radicalised and willing to carry out atrocities. Once they decide they're going to do it it's so low tech it's straightforward -anywhere. I'm going to London next week fully aware where I go may be targeted - but I don't want the landmarks surrounded in barriers- my choice, my trip. Be careful, be vigilant but expect casualties its a war.

maddyone Fri 18-Aug-17 10:53:59

How many more people will die in attacks like these across Europe before our governments actually do something? We are told the British government have many people on their radar, probably other European governments do too. Why are they still at large then, left to roam free to do their worst? In WW2 'enemy aliens' were rounded up and kept securely until or unless they were able to prove they were not a risk to the nation's safety, and this even included Jewish refugees who had run away from the Nazis, until they were able to prove they were not a risk.
I'll get out my tin hat now, because I know most of you in all likelihood won't agree with me. I'm so, so sorry for the victims, two of my sons work in London, we all go on holiday, it could be you, or me, or mine. I'm fed up of the hand wringing, and the 'we all stand together' statements from our government and others.
I normally try to write balanced posts on here, but today I'm angry, angry that innocent civilians are killed in this barbaric way because our governments are not being proactive. It's pointless 'watching' them, having them on a list, having them 'on the radar', innocents are dying, injured, terrified. Enough!
Rant over, I'll take cover now.

Telly Fri 18-Aug-17 11:03:06

maddyone, we give up our hard one freedoms at our peril. If the government were to act as you suggest we would be living in a police state. What about when they came for you or yours?

Cagsy Fri 18-Aug-17 11:03:43

I'm not sure how anyone can 'prove' they're not a risk maddyone

Telly Fri 18-Aug-17 11:03:54

sorry that should read hard won!

moxeyns Fri 18-Aug-17 11:17:08

Maddyone, you sound like a dangerous radical to me. I wonder if I should report you to the authorities, just in case?

Diddy1 Fri 18-Aug-17 11:41:00

My heart goes out to everyone in Barcelona

Rinouchka Fri 18-Aug-17 13:34:39

Whilst I understand your frustration, maddyone, the very thought of internment of "enemy aliens" based on their nationality or religion and with no hard evidence fills me with horror. You are right that it was done in Britain during WW2 as well as in the US after Pearl Harbour( internment of Japanese-Americans) but these are shameful episodes imo.
Vigilance and correct adherence to and application of the laws of the countries afflicted, as well as cooperation, sharing of resources and mutual support between countries, although seemingly unsuccessful at first glance, is the only way forward.

Grampie Fri 18-Aug-17 13:50:35

Does anyone know what they (ISIS) want apart from their own caliphate to dominate, enslave, rape and kill its inhabitants so the true believers have free housing, energy and food?

Smileless2012 Fri 18-Aug-17 14:13:20

I think you've just summed up what they want Grampie. The only things they seem to believe in are the intimidation, maiming and murdering of innocents.

Sheilasue Fri 18-Aug-17 14:29:47

My daughter and gd went to Barcelona at the end of July. Said how lovely it was. Now I keep thinking about what has happened to those people and my two girls I am not really religious but am thanking the lord anyway.

Lazigirl Fri 18-Aug-17 14:39:29

I love Barcelona and the Catalan people and thought it was wonderful after this sad & cowardly attack that they marched down Las Ramblas in spirited defiance clapping & shouting "no tinc por", "I am not afraid".