Gransnet forums

News & politics

Cyclist cleared of manslaughter.

(84 Posts)
gillybob Thu 24-Aug-17 10:17:46

Charlie Alliston was 18 when he crashed his fixed wheel track bike (with no front brakes) into mother of two Kim Briggs in London last February.

Prosecutors took the unprecedented step of bringing manslaughter charges but following a trial at the Old Bailey, jurors took 12 hours to find him not guilty of manslaughter but guilty of "causing bodily harm by wanton and furious driving" which carries a maximum of 2 years in jail.

Reading various news reports I cannot help but think that I hope he does get a term in jail as not only was he riding a bike that should never have been on the road, he doesn't appear to have shown any remorse for his actions, which was confirmed by Judge Wendy Joseph QC who commented that she "had not seen one iota of remorse from Mr Alliston at all at any stage" . Some of his comments on social media are nothing short of disgusting. Even when Ms Briggs lay dying in the road he shouted obscenities at her.

Cyclists are forever saying that they should be shown respect on the roads and should be treat like other road users such as cars, vans etc. so shouldn't we then liken a bike without brakes to any other vehicle without brakes?

Following the tragic death of his wife Mrs Briggs' husband has set about to bring "a change in the law and a change to attitudes".

goldengirl Tue 19-Sep-17 13:17:36

I was in the left hand lane of a road yesterday, indicating I was turning left. Checked mirrors - nothing behind me. Just as I was turning I saw a cyclist in my wing mirror coming up on my inside. He was dressed in black, on a black bike and no helmet. Luckily I was able to pull out a bit but if I'd hit him it would have been my fault. Like something along the lines of what Tim Wonnacott is known to say 'there was only a sheet of Bronco between us'. Just thinking about it makes me shaky.

TerriBull Tue 19-Sep-17 09:36:46

Such an unavoidable tragedy caused by an arrogant idiot, riding an illegal bike, completely unaware of consequences, nevertheless he's not the first cyclist to have killed a pedestrian. Not wishing to tar all cyclist with the same brush, I know from family who work in London it's a constant problem with those that jump red lights the pedestrian can often feel they are taking their lives in their hands just getting around. We were in Copenhagen earlier this year and felt there was a different type of cyclist over there, certainly far more considerate, but then there are fewer people and there wasn't the bursting at the seams effect in Denmark's capital that there is in London. We also didn't encounter any of the thrusting lycra clad would be "Tour de France" types either.

We have thoroughfare for pedestrians with "no cycling" signs in our local town but cyclists still ride through it, rarely kids I might add but adults, I've had two near misses one was a woman and when I said "be careful" she replied "I know what I'm doing" and on another occasion when I remonstrated with a man he responded "keep your hair on love" angry I just wish someone was around to fine them.

Chewbacca Tue 19-Sep-17 08:32:34

Not making up lies that the victim wasn't paying attention because she was on her mobile phone and was therefore somehow responsible for her own death?

MissAdventure Tue 19-Sep-17 08:14:33

Not shouting obscenities at the victim?

Maggiemaybe Tue 19-Sep-17 08:05:50

Showing concern for the victim? Not using an illegal vehicle?

MissAdventure Mon 18-Sep-17 22:21:55

Remorse is the first difference that I noticed.

Azie09 Mon 18-Sep-17 22:14:20

Anyone care to say why this is different? Apart from the result?

www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/woman-cleared-of-killing-cyclist-in-britains-first-crowdfunded-prosecution-a3509201.html

There must be some posters with the 100% knowledge of the accused driver as clearly some people are psychic as to the background of others and the context of an accident. Or maybe the women who sat and knitted under the guillotine in 18th century France have reincarnated!

rafichagran Mon 18-Sep-17 19:13:37

Horrible and arrogant. Should have got the full two years.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Sep-17 17:52:09

Why a young offenders institution if a lad can go to war at 18 drive a car at 17 get married at what is it 16 ( with parental permission ) drink alcohol, kill someone but a 20 year old is too young for prison
Something wrong here
He ll be out in less than a year and be top of the tree in a junior institution I would think cocky little xxxx

lemongrove Mon 18-Sep-17 16:13:40

It will likely be half that time for good behaviour, however a custodial sentence, loss of liberty is good.Why not prison if he is 20?

MissAdventure Mon 18-Sep-17 16:03:42

Nowhere near long enough! So, if you've ever a mind to murder, do it on a bike. I suppose at least he raised his eyebrows - hopefully in horror that he will actually go to prison.

devongirl Mon 18-Sep-17 15:28:23

From the BBC:

"A cyclist who knocked over and killed a 44-year-old woman in east London has been sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders' institution."

"Alliston, now 20, raised his eyebrows as the judge said his sentence would be custodial."

What a piece of work...

nigglynellie Sat 26-Aug-17 10:26:25

Maybe Andrea Leadsoms bill can be reintroduced and this time taken seriously. Here's for hoping!!

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Aug-17 20:24:31

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13034162
This needs to be introduced again, or something very similar.

Jalima1108 Fri 25-Aug-17 20:22:33

I think Andrea Leadsom introduced a bill about dangerous cycling but it only got one reading then did not reach the second reading.

What a pity, this law needs updating asap.

maryeliza54 Fri 25-Aug-17 20:07:11

He can only get a maximum of 2 - that's why the widowers wants a change in the law. Given the inadequacy of the current law, I think the CPS did well to a) charge him with manslaughter and b) came up with the Victorian second charge which at least means he's now got a criminal record

seacliff Fri 25-Aug-17 12:28:16

I agree too Miss Adventure. What on earth do his family think of him!

nigglynellie Fri 25-Aug-17 12:23:46

I totally agree MissAdventure. Unbelievably revolting young thug. His attitude beggars belief, if I were the judge he'd get five years with no remission! but sadly he won't!

MissAdventure Fri 25-Aug-17 11:57:27

Absolutely disgusting thing, he is. I hope he will get a just sentence, but fear he won't.
I think he is an absolute piece of shit, frankly.

maryeliza54 Fri 25-Aug-17 11:42:51

Also of course there is the PTSD 'card' in play

maryeliza54 Fri 25-Aug-17 11:42:06

She's considering prison because that's in the sentencing guidelines but mitigation will be part of the report -this will include his showing remorse ( or saying he does). The lies he told hopefully will weigh heavily against him

Cindersdad Fri 25-Aug-17 08:04:11

And I spot them as soon as I have posted - but it's too late to fix them then.

Cindersdad Fri 25-Aug-17 08:02:13

Sorry to typing errors - but Gransnet has no edit option!

Cindersdad Fri 25-Aug-17 07:58:30

I cycle a lot locally but never uncontrollably. Any vehicle what ever the means of propulsion can be a lethal weapon in careless hands. The bike in question was illegal for road use and being ridden without due consideration for others. As a pedestrian I've had two near misses with irresponsible cyclists. The first stepping out of door onto the pavement having to jump back to avoid a speeding youth. The second at some pedestrian lights when traffic was stopped and speeding cyclists just ignored them, again I had to quickly step back. The point is that most cyclists even though who sometimes ride on the pavement because the roads aren't safe for us respect other road / pavement users giving them and us enough time and space to avoid accidents. This guy is sadly typical of the lack of civic responsible prevalent is society showing little regard his fellow human beings. The law as is seems impotent in dealing with which such people. He should be prosecuted for manslaughter in the same way as he would have been if he'd punched somewhere and caused their death even if he hadn't intended such harm. He didn't intend to hit the lady but by riding recklessly on the road braking laws his actions showed a total lack of responsibility to the point of deliberately criminality.

gillybob Thu 24-Aug-17 23:35:31

Perhaps growing his hair to hide the skull tattoo on his neck , (complete with blood tears, which is said to represent killing someone) from the jury did him a favour although he seemed rather hasty to have his hair cut to "show it off" as soon as the jury retired.

My post from this afternoon (above) Elrel I agree he seems quite proud of it now that he has been cleared of manslaughter.