Gransnet forums

News & politics

Guilty or Ill

(60 Posts)
Anniebach Thu 24-Aug-17 15:28:08

A woman has been sentenced to ten year for false claims of rape by 15 men, one man served two years.

She even harmed herself claiming it was caused during the rapes. The judge said she was a liar and attention seeker .
Surely she has has a mental health problem ?

harrigran Thu 24-Aug-17 15:33:04

Mental health issues or not a person can not be at liberty to accuse men of this kind of crime, it ruins the whole family's life not just the accused.

petra Thu 24-Aug-17 16:25:49

She was assessed before the trail and was found to have no mental health problems.

Oriel Thu 24-Aug-17 16:34:36

What sort of mental health problems would she have had though?

glammanana Thu 24-Aug-17 16:41:56

I just can't think of what kind of mental health issues she could possibly have,but I guess she has put a lot of the mens families through absolute torture and distress even the breakdown of marriages.

Anniebach Thu 24-Aug-17 17:19:16

Surely if it was for attention, hatred of men, excitement ,revenge, what ever, it was strange behaviour, the questioning , physical examinations , no way do I think she should have been allowed to walk free but perhaps a physciatric unit ?

SueDonim Thu 24-Aug-17 18:06:05

A large percentage of both men and women behind bars have MH problems, sadly.

suzied Thu 24-Aug-17 18:09:50

Hopefully she will have some further mental health assessment whilst inside, but as said, many people in prisons have psychiatric problems, and with cuts to the prison services don't get the help they need.

ninny Thu 24-Aug-17 18:27:11

Good she's good what she deserves, she probably ruined these men's lives and their families I have no sympathy for her. Also it is not right women who accuse men of rape are not named but the men are.

M0nica Thu 24-Aug-17 19:36:11

I was puzzled by this case as well. Most false rape claims arise from liaisons regretted the next morning or revenge claims. But to make up a series of claims against unknown men several times strikes me as abnormal.

I am not defending her, the long-term affect on the men she accused - especially the one convicted and imprisoned - must be catastrophic, but I cannot believe that she is entirely rational and sane, perhaps a personality disorder rather than a mental illness.

I was also surprised by the severity of the sentence. The man who was erroneously convicted of raping her got 7 years. She has been sentenced to 10 years. I can only assume that there is a public safety element in her sentence. They think there is a danger she could repeat the offence, although with her conviction and sentence I think the police would be very careful about taking any further complaints she might make with caution.

rafichagran Thu 24-Aug-17 19:43:22

No sympathy from me. What about the men whose lives she ruined?

Anniebach Thu 24-Aug-17 19:46:59

It is possible to have much sympathy for the victims but still question why the allegations were made .

rafichagran Thu 24-Aug-17 19:56:44

I hate women like her. She ruined the life of those men. I will not waste a moment of my time wondering what made her tick. Glad she is going to jail. Hope she serves as a reminder to other women who have this on their minds not to do it.

Oriel Thu 24-Aug-17 19:57:12

It appears she enjoyed the attention she received playing the victim. It reminded me of the girl in the States who recently bullied and cajoled her boyfriend into killing himself. The judge there said she enjoyed playing the bereaved girlfriend.

Some people are just plain bad. From what I've read I don't think this woman was mentally ill. I think the sentence was totally justified - she's ruined many lives.

rafichagran Thu 24-Aug-17 20:30:05

Totally agree Oriel

petra Thu 24-Aug-17 20:42:02

Why do we have to put a label of mental illness on some people when in reality they are just evil bastards.

maryeliza54 Thu 24-Aug-17 20:44:20

annie I agree with you in wondering why she behaved as she did whilst having more than every sympathy for the victims. No one who is mentally healthy could behave like this over such a long period of time but I don't see what else the courts could do. Her appearance can't have helped her feel OK about herself - I wonder if she's always been so grossly overweight and completing lacking in any sense of self worth so that making herself a victim gave her life some 'meaning' ? Trying to find an explanation isn't condoning

M0nica Fri 25-Aug-17 08:18:55

No, Petra, this was not normal behaviour or even malevolent behaviour. It was disturbed behaviour, probably not mentally ill, but abnormal. However, innocent men need to be protected from her, so I support the sentence she received.

Anniebach Fri 25-Aug-17 09:09:46

Perhaps mentally ill were the wrong words but I don't like saying unbalanced mind - which I have now said

There was a time when 'balance of the mind was disturbed" was used for suicides , we now accept depression

GracesGranMK2 Fri 25-Aug-17 09:34:14

I think it is quite possible the she has some sort of psychological issue.

We should also remember that the reason this is getting such publicity is that it is so rare. Rape, sadly, is not.

illtellhim Fri 25-Aug-17 09:40:32

In my opinion she deserves help but how?

gillybob Fri 25-Aug-17 09:51:12

I have no sympathy for this evil woman who ruined the lives of so many men and caused several relationship breakups with her false accusations.

She is clearly unbalanced but imagine if it were your own son or husband she had falsely accused.

wildswan16 Fri 25-Aug-17 09:53:07

I think she is clearly a very disturbed young woman but is still totally capable of knowing right from wrong. Therefore she knew she was lying and making up allegations. She clearly loved the attention it brought her. It is sad that she needed to do that and somehow saw it as acceptable, but I think her sentence is valid - the misery she brought not only to those accused but to their families is immense.

BlueBelle Fri 25-Aug-17 09:53:55

Petra I don't think anyone is born an 'evil bastard' we are all the products of either genetics or environment whilst growing up .... whilst I entirely agree she needs to be stopped and punished for ruining the poor men's lives she does also need psychiatric help to see why she needs this attention at others expense There is a definite lack of cognition, an inability to see results of actions and a lack of compassion which probably add up to some personality disorder

Anniebach Fri 25-Aug-17 09:56:42

Yes Gilly, but we must also ask what if she was my daughter