Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sovereignty and 'take back control'

(524 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 08-Sep-17 10:28:09

In view of developments in Parliament over the past few days, such as the 'Henry VII' clause in the Repeal Bill and moves to give the government a majority in House of Commons Select committees , I am wondering just what people who voted Leave understand by the concept of 'Sovereignty' and if they are at all worried by the Government's attempts to bypass Parliamentary scrutiny of legislation and amendments to legislation?

JessM Thu 05-Oct-17 22:00:27

It's not a parliamentary manner. A certain number of tory MPs have to write to the chairman of the 1922 Committee. Wouldn't be surprised after yesterday. They don't want an election as long as they can hang onto power.

JessM Thu 05-Oct-17 22:06:11

Another big Brexit cock up is that Liam Fox announced a " a success" a few days ago regarding trade. Turns out the rest of the world say they won't agree. Can't find a link but it was in the FT today and covered on BBC R4 PM programme.

durhamjen Thu 05-Oct-17 22:17:49

www.politico.eu/article/theresa-may-second-lesson-in-post-brexit-trade-realpolitik-liam-fox-us/

And in this article, JessM.

durhamjen Thu 05-Oct-17 22:38:17

May didn't mention the defence cuts yesterday, did she, and that our navy is all but going to disappear.
On Newsnight now.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 05-Oct-17 23:55:34

Goodness they look steep. I don't want us fighting any more than anyone but getting rid of all that experiences seems mad. They have stripped so many people out already.

durhamjen Fri 06-Oct-17 00:01:28

I thought the Tories were all in favour of our armed forces.
It sounds like something they would have criticised Corbyn for.

JessM Fri 06-Oct-17 17:33:11

Nadine Dorries (yes, I know, but..) has tweeted that the plot to depose May is a Remain scheme to get rid of Johnson et al and salvage the Brexit mess. Interesting and plausible. Most Tory MPs voted to Remain and they must be furious with the "3 brexiteers" for making such an unholy dogs breakfast of the negotiations. Not to mention suicidal for the economy.

durhamjen Fri 06-Oct-17 17:34:57

I don't care what sort of plot it is as long as it works, do you?

GracesGranMK2 Fri 06-Oct-17 17:36:50

You have to worry when the conspiracy theories start. I hope none of them have access to weapons.

durhamjen Fri 06-Oct-17 17:40:04

I always think it's the Brexiteers who seem to be more likely to use weapons.
I can't imagine Hammond knowing where to get one.

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 14:46:38

www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/dispute-resolution-options-final.pdf

So which of these do brexiteers think we should go for?

durhamjen Sun 08-Oct-17 23:38:05

It's being said that May is going to sack Boris, but he will refuse to go!
A picture of him chaining himself to the desk in the foreign office comes to mind.

whitewave Mon 09-Oct-17 10:01:31

The loony right are beginning to panic as they are losing the argument. So if Johnson goes they want Hammond to go as well. What a load of losers! Jenkins is putting himself about on the BBC, next the BBC will wheel in Farage -

whitewave Mon 09-Oct-17 10:07:21

Shooting the messenger continues apace. I see two Tory legal experts who voted with the EU parliament have been booted out.

Suppression or what?

Tegan2 Mon 09-Oct-17 14:39:25

So much for democracy sad...

JessM Mon 09-Oct-17 18:50:43

Today's Brexit catchphrase is "the ball's in their court".
No it's not. The UK negotiators are failing to be clear, failing to agree to meet their financial obligations (pensions etc), being intransigent about the ECJ - which is stopping a sensible agreement about EU and UK residents rights, and failing to come up with anything that make sense regarding Irish borders. "The ball's in their court" is just a slogan to try to put the blame on the EU. Which is never a good tactic if what you want is a win-win outcome.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:17:16

Their seems to be more talk about making preparations for 'no deal' than sorting out anything sensible. I think it's quite horrifying.

durhamjen Mon 09-Oct-17 22:54:46

The Speaker has approved the application. Emergency debate on the Government's treatment of Opposition day motions will take place tomorrow.

This is good. Hopefully it will mean that there will be meaningful debates in future.

durhamjen Mon 09-Oct-17 23:00:42

infacts.org/brexit-talks-even-dead-water-may-fiasco/

durhamjen Mon 09-Oct-17 23:30:07

infacts.org/game-theresa-may-playing/

The good thing is that if the public see that we might end up like lemmings, they might refuse to play May's game.

GracesGranMK2 Mon 09-Oct-17 23:36:41

You can see why the Cons don't like the speaker - he is very good at putting Parliament first and not Government first.

durhamjen Mon 09-Oct-17 23:40:01

Shame the government can't do the same.

JessM Tue 10-Oct-17 07:48:12

The speaker does seem to do a good job. Are the government incompetent or are just putting politics above the future of the UK... Or both?
Theresa May seems to be trying to get some brownie points with her racial inequality announcement. Could be interpreted as having a go at public sector workers? And she was heading up a chunk of the pubic sector since 2010.