Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Archbishop of Canterbury

(28 Posts)
varian Fri 08-Sep-17 15:53:07

The Archbishop of Canterbury is not only leader of the Church of England but as the CoE is established, he and other CoE bishops sit in the House of Lords and are therefore able to influence the law of the land.

I am personally in favour of disestablishing the CoE. I would prefer that we lived in a secular state where no religious group was treated preferentially.

However I was glad to see Archbishop Justin Welby (who had a distinguished career in finance before his ordination) speak out recently about the gross inequality in Britain.

The archbishop said: "Our economic model is broken. Britain stands at a watershed moment where we need to make fundamental choices about the sort of economy we need. We are failing those who will grow up into a world where the gap between the richest and poorest parts of the country is significant and destabilising."

Is it not appalling that we have sanctimonious politicians, proclaiming themselves to be Christians, who have presided over this treatment of their fellow citizens?

MaizieD Sat 09-Sep-17 17:13:18

I find these high church clerics totally alien.

But surely they preach the same message?

Anniebach Sat 09-Sep-17 19:33:19

How can anyone think John Sentamu doesn't care for and speak up for those in need