Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyn and the centre ground

(99 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 29-Sep-17 19:31:07

Corbyn has claimed his party now occupies the centre ground .

A YouGove poll -

5% see the party as centre

63% see the party as left wing

8% see the party as very left wing

durhamjen Sun 01-Oct-17 23:28:50

Isn't it Durham that has dragons, with the Prince Bishops being set up to rule, and the Lambton worm?

MaizieD Sun 01-Oct-17 23:51:24

It's possible that many of them wouldn't know the difference between Durham and Yorkshire... And worms don't sound very frightening, do they? wink

whitewave Mon 02-Oct-17 09:00:01

Please to understand that the Tories have accepted that Corbyn has moved the agenda to the left, they are beginning to look Labour litegrin

durhamjen Mon 02-Oct-17 09:30:44

It grewed an aaful size, though, Maizie.

durhamjen Mon 02-Oct-17 10:58:27

www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2017/10/01/the-public-want-nationalisation-because-nationalisation-makes-sense/

I never thought of the Observer as being right wing. But it seems it's getting more so.

durhamjen Mon 02-Oct-17 20:06:10

Excellent article here. It's about time centrists decided whether they wanted a popular leader or not.

thegreatcritique.wordpress.com/2017/10/02/schrodingers-labour-leader/

Anniebach Mon 02-Oct-17 20:10:55

As if there is a choice

durhamjen Fri 06-Oct-17 23:03:33

Labour gained two more council byelections yesterday, one from a Tory, the other from ukip.

Anniebach Sat 07-Oct-17 03:35:39

One in north London and one in Adur - wherever that is.

maryeliza54 Sat 07-Oct-17 07:34:20

It's in a very affluent area which increases its significance

whitewave Sat 07-Oct-17 07:49:05

Adur is just near me Shoreham is at its mouth -it is a river!
Traditionally very Tory but one of the things that is happening is that it’s demographics are changing as the young cannot afford to live in Brighton and so are moving west along the coast which is cheaper -although it is all relative and anyone in other parts of the country would be appalled at the prices.

so the young -welll under 50s -are rejecting the Tories and voting labour in their millions

maryeliza54 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:26:11

HTH ab

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 08:14:25

I see that the IMF are supporting Corbyns position over tax rises for the wealthy.

durhamjen Thu 12-Oct-17 08:18:14

Do you think the tories will adopt that now, whitewave, and pretend it was their position all along, not labour's, a bit like the cap on energy bills?

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 08:24:52

Probably -especially if they come to crashing and face another election.

To be serious though I think the zeitgeist is with Corbyn - politicians throughout the west understand that the have nots, trying hard, poor -call them what you like must be listened to as the threat of populism and consequence extremism is very real.

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 16:21:53

Corbyn isn’t afraid to answer a direct question.

He would vote remain if there was another referendum.

MotherHubbard Thu 12-Oct-17 17:06:31

WW ‘Corbyn isn’t afraid to answer a direct question.’
Think it depends on what question he is asked, like most politicians.

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 17:51:14

I was comparing him to Maybot when she was asked the same question.

JessM Thu 12-Oct-17 18:16:14

The Tory Party in terms of membership is dwindling in numbers. There are something like 5 Labour members to every member of the Tory party. Their conference was really a bit sad. It is certainly true that the Tories have shifted a long way right since the 1950s There are a lot of women joining Labour these days which is interesting.
Meanwhile May is making a feeble attempt to look like her party cares. Ed's "marxist" energy price cap, revived and made their own. A bursary for GPs who will train in less-desirable areas. A report on discrimination. Truss saying that she will refund the cost of long phone calls to the Universal Credit helpline. Not a lot of use if you haven't got any money to top up your phone in the first place...

durhamjen Thu 12-Oct-17 21:13:55

Does that mean anothe rform to fill in, Jess, or another phonecall to make?
How many minutes is a long phonecall?
If it's 9 minutes you have to pay, but ten minutes you can claim?

whitewave Fri 13-Oct-17 10:03:46

Guardian reporting IMF being in the same page as Corbyn in relation to tax.

whitewave Wed 18-Oct-17 15:20:54

PMQs. Thought Corbyn well prepared and successful today.

durhamjen Wed 18-Oct-17 17:50:28

I liked the way that lots of other questions were on the same theme.
May didn't answer any of them, I noticed.