Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why are we leaving?

(390 Posts)
yggdrasil Thu 05-Oct-17 08:49:38

This vid says a lot. Especially why the EU finds our government's attitude so incomprehensible

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgu6pFz5oxA

(it is about 8 mins long)

Welshwife Sat 14-Oct-17 18:59:25

The centre of Calais used to be very nice with lovely gardens etc - have not been into it for a long time now though.

durhamjen Sat 14-Oct-17 14:47:21

Hammond is such an idiot, isn't he?
How can the EU take him seriously when he says we are united at home? Unlike 'the enemy', of course.

petra Sat 14-Oct-17 13:06:15

durhamjen
What on earth have my views on Calais got to do with my views on where the border should be ?

durhamjen Sat 14-Oct-17 13:00:15

I recall quite a few brexiteers saying that the border posts should remain in Calais. I think you were one of them, petra.

JessM Sat 14-Oct-17 10:44:49

LOL, like "we owned" most of France, and "owned" most of the USA?

petra Fri 13-Oct-17 19:36:44

Who would want to own Calais, it's a dump. Only good thing is the port, to get you into Europe, and the lovely hyper markets

nigglynellie Fri 13-Oct-17 18:18:49

Probably!!!!

MaizieD Fri 13-Oct-17 18:02:36

I wonder if they'll find 'Brexit' engraved on Theresa May's...

nigglynellie Fri 13-Oct-17 17:42:09

Brexiteers still think we own Calais?!!! What silly coment! I would suggest that many on both sides are unaware that we owned Calais in the first place, and I think as many,or few, on both sides are equally aware that the loss caused Calais to be written on Mary Tudors heart!

varian Fri 13-Oct-17 17:17:43

The Brexit impact reports, which we British taxpayers have paid for, MUST be published.

You have to ask, if the government will not tell the voters the truth, what are they afraid of ? - and what are they hiding? - and why?

The reason we are in this mess is because of ignorance. Isn't it is time we were told what we could be letting ourselves in for?

It is not too late. Legal opinion is that Article 50 can be revoked at any time within the two year period.

If these reports alter the public opinion, then the electorate should be allowed to speak again.

JessM Thu 12-Oct-17 17:08:27

Yes it was very unfortunate MaizieD and didn't Farage jump straight in and make hay with it. That Poster!! Cameron could have waited. One mistake amongst so many that he made. Of course we have not been swamped with refugees because Cameron meanly restricted intake to 20k over 5 years. It is a tiny trickle. We have 2 families in a whole county. One more young family arriving from camp in Lebanon next week.

durhamjen Wed 11-Oct-17 23:12:33

Actually, we lost it in 1558. Do you think that the French will wait until 2019, or hand us back our border next year, 460 years anniversary?

durhamjen Wed 11-Oct-17 23:10:11

Brexiteers don't believe that, Maizie. They still think we own Calais.

durhamjen Wed 11-Oct-17 23:06:40

news.huffingtonpost.com/t/t-l-khtljty-bdttdydit-j/

The Home Office can't cope with Brexit.

MaizieD Wed 11-Oct-17 23:04:54

Obviously those who voted to leave didn't realise where are borders are, this side of the channel, North Sea, etc.

I've often thought that it was most unfortunate (part of that 'perfect storm' really) that the EU ref. was happening at the height of the migrant crisis; making it very easy for people to confuse Freedom of Movement for EU nationals with the absolutely non-EU migrants trying to desperately enter the UK. I think they thought that if they voted Leave the migrants would disappear... As it is, it seems to me that the French will promptly return our border to Dover (at present we do border checks in Calais) and wave migrants onto the channel ferries with a merry 'Bon Voyage' to speed them on their way.

Not only will Dover become a vast lorry park but we'll have a 'Dover Jungle' of our own...

Welshwife Wed 11-Oct-17 23:03:23

There maybe lots of BMW and VW cars on the docks and driving around with the logos but it is only a small percentage of the output of these companies. That is the bigger point rather than numbers. UK no longer really manufactures cars - Jaguar /Land rovers etc are not really the cars of the masses. Ford assembles most if not all of their cars on the continent - our one came from Belgium.
Not too much manufacturing going on in UK now and even when there is the chance the Govt allows or brings in foreign countries to make/run the companies.
Somewhere in Mid Wales I think it is there is a company setting up to make what is in effect houses which are prefabricated - but a far cry from the prefabs erected after the war. Indeed Has homes in Germany are luxurious things. Instead of having a British company doing this it has gone to a Chinese one - with presumably a British work force. I saw the item on local Welsh news about a year ago and was disgusted that the Govt did not support a UK company to build these homes.

durhamjen Wed 11-Oct-17 23:01:12

120 MPs have called for the Brexit impact reports to be published. It might be even more now.

MaizieD Wed 11-Oct-17 22:53:52

Farmers will vote to remain, if I was receiving the subsidy that they are, I'd vote to remain.

I think you've missed something there, berdie. If my part of the world is anything to go by farmers voted more or less 50/50 Leave/Remain. So clearly the subsidy wasn't always a deciding factor. Of course, a huge number of farmers will go bust without the subsidy and there's absolutely no guarantee that the UK government will be able or willing to match it.

We need to support UK, wether we we voted yea or nay,

And how are we supposed to do that? Seriously, I'd really like to know...

durhamjen Wed 11-Oct-17 22:47:51

Obviously those who voted to leave didn't realise where are borders are, this side of the channel, North Sea, etc.
Controlling our borders causes chaos; but you go ahead and cause chaos.

Tegan2 Wed 11-Oct-17 22:29:51

It isn't just farmers that receive subsidies etc. If you look around you, you will see signs everywhere of things that the EU have helped to fund [usually in places that central government want to forget exist] The Eden Project is one example.

berdie Wed 11-Oct-17 22:21:54

Farmers will vote to remain, if I was receiving the subsidy that they are, I'd vote to remain. However i voted to leave, along with seventeen and a half million other souls, who aren't receiving subsidies. If you want an example of Europes reliance on the UK, go to Immingham docks and see the number of Volkswagen vans imported, bearing British Gas logo's, or the BMW's etc, coming into this country on a daily basis. We need to support UK, wether we we voted yea or nay, I cannot understand this adoration for Juncker, Verhofstadt et al, we need to be a sovereign country again, with control of borders, trade etc.

durhamjen Wed 11-Oct-17 19:26:09

www.theweek.co.uk/house-prices/61987/london-house-prices-fall-for-first-time-since-financial-crisis

People getting ready to leave the sinking ship.

blossom14 Wed 11-Oct-17 18:46:16

Signed

whitewave Wed 11-Oct-17 18:43:19

Just watching the (no)plans for the customs station and lorry park on the M20 on local television. If you didn’t laugh you’d get hysterical.

whitewave Wed 11-Oct-17 18:19:59

Signed