Gransnet forums

News & politics

GPs to ask about sexual orientation

(99 Posts)
Baggs Sun 15-Oct-17 07:41:00

In the news today there's a report that GPs are to ask every face-to-face patient over 16 what their sexual orientation is. Nice way to put people in boxes.

In a Times leader today it says this: "The LGBT Foundation, which has been working with the NHS, says only 8% of LGB (lesbian, gay, bisexual; the T is for transgender) people in Greater Manchester have never experienced a mental health problem."

Could the reason for that statistic possibly be that one's sexual orientation being different from one's obvious biology (I chose 'obvious biology' carefully) is the cause of mental health problems? I'm wondering this as opposed to supposing that there is some other (or several other) reason why mental illness is so common in LGBT people. I am not, yet, arguing a case either way; I'm asking a question.

Because the rate of mental illness in non-LGBT people could be just as high for all I know. And because on the surface it doesn't seem like such a strange thing to ask. We know that other animal species experience L, G, and possibly B. So I wonder what their mental illness statistics are like.

Imperfect27 Sun 15-Oct-17 07:54:44

I have wondered WHY the question isbeing asked and would seem likely that there may be some stats-based health predictors involved that we don't know of.

I now have what I call my yearly health MOT and everything gets processed on the computer and my statistical 'likelihood' of developing a condition / illness trotted out. Glad to say I am in the low percentages, but even so - unhelpful, as in 'too much info' to my mind. And I think this is all a forerunner to privatisation and medical insurance risk assessment.

Oldwoman70 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:46:56

Does this mean if someone tells their doctor they are LGB or T they would automatically be flagged as possibly suffering from mental illness? I am somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of labelling people like this. Surely, someone should be assessed irrespective of what their sexual orientation is?

Teetime Sun 15-Oct-17 10:01:22

The news said people would be 'forced' to answer the question - how? and on every face to face contact where this is not currently recorded. I am looking forward to having lots of fun with this on the next GP visit.

Luckygirl Sun 15-Oct-17 10:07:22

Well if my GP asks me I shall tell her I do not think it is relevant to the consultation. I am quite sure she will agree with me.

Liz46 Sun 15-Oct-17 10:14:55

The NHS is struggling enough at the moment without having this nonsense inflicted on it.

whitewave Sun 15-Oct-17 10:17:56

It isn’t compulsory to reveal.

grannysue05 Sun 15-Oct-17 13:36:36

One of the GP's "tick boxes" on the form includes an option for those who are "unsure" of their orientation !
We could all answer that smile

Grandma70s Sun 15-Oct-17 13:55:12

It seems very unreasonable to me. I don’t like the idea of labelling, putting people in boxes like this, especially not those of 16 or 17. In any case, some people will lie.

Deedaa Sun 15-Oct-17 14:44:56

What a shame my favourite GP has retired, I think we could have had some fun with this one

M0nica Sun 15-Oct-17 17:36:53

I have introduced (for myself) a policy of not answering questions that are not relevant to the purpose of the activity involved. It covers everything from giving out my mobile phone number unless essential. I have a landline and answerphone and few calls are urgent. I do not give age, date of birth, and now, if asked, sexual orientation.

nigglynellie Sun 15-Oct-17 17:43:15

I would have thought that this knowledge is more likely to lead to discrimination! What people don't know, they can't discriminate against! I for one will not be responding to this totally irrelevant question should my GP have the courage to ask it!!!!!!grin

Elegran Sun 15-Oct-17 18:10:08

It is just the latest in a long line of fashionable "something that sometimes effects people's health issues so we must record it for everyone as though it were the only important factor for everything".

Stress at work getting you down? Caused by your sexual orientation. Take these tablets, they stop you fancying unsuitable workmates and adopting uncomfortable positions in the stationery cupboard hiding from the boss.
Broken leg? Caused by your sexual orientation toward that steeplejack/jill who insists on doing it on a pitched roof without a safety harness (unsafe sex)
Athlete's foot? It is your sexual orientation. Keep your feet away from his/hers/theirs.
Constant dizziness? Your upside-down orientation is the root cause.

Norah Sun 15-Oct-17 18:14:17

I see no reason to answer my sexual orientation. Or my uterus status, could I be pregnant? Not unless 73 yr old women past meno can be, tyvm. Or the amount of my sexual activity. Stupid questions all.

BlueBelle Sun 15-Oct-17 18:16:33

I will have no intention of answering If a cri inal also, can say ‘no comment’ so will I ?

NfkDumpling Sun 15-Oct-17 18:20:03

If it isn't compulsory to answer, what's the point? The result will be inaccurate.

Norah Sun 15-Oct-17 18:24:51

There are lots of daft questions at yearly exam.

lemongrove Sun 15-Oct-17 18:26:51

I imagine it’s a diktat from on high being forced onto GP’s, as if they haven’t enough to do.
Since I know I am a woman though, I will have no problem with answering this question.

vampirequeen Sun 15-Oct-17 18:36:50

I look forward to being asked but I can't guarantee my answer will be accurate grin

LadyGracie Sun 15-Oct-17 18:45:56

When I worked for a housing association (I retired 4 years ago) we had to ask applicants their sexual orientation.

Nelliemoser Sun 15-Oct-17 19:16:38

I am pretty sure there are a lot of people who would not have the slightess clue what "sexual orientation" means .
I hope bet that GPs will get some really silly answers .

I wonder what comes first to people, the desire to transgender or the mental health issues. I could see how these decisions could be a "chicken or egg" situation . Hopefully some psychiatrist in the clinics really know what they are doing .

Nelliemoser Sun 15-Oct-17 19:23:27

If I am not sure of my orientation I could tie myself around the middle and hang myself from a girder.
If my head the points to north as I swing then I will know where everywhere else is . wink

maryeliza54 Sun 15-Oct-17 20:14:04

Apparently the question ( if the medical professional even wants to ask it) is just about sexual orientation - which is basically lesbian/gay or heterosexual or bisexual. Its nothing to do with transgenderism is it which has a whole set of issues associated with it and which a medical professional would need to know about surely?

Chewbacca Sun 15-Oct-17 20:21:17

Don't think it will be an issue for me, seeing as how it's virtually impossible to actually get an appointment to see our GP in the first place. But in the unlikely event that I was asked, I think a cold, icy stare would be sufficient to give my answer.

maryeliza54 Sun 15-Oct-17 20:25:25

I think this whole issue says far more than I like about the growing power and influence of the LGBT lobby with government ( see the whole transgender issue). I really can't imagine this question really being asked as a general rule but saying it can be is part of the pandering to this group