Gransnet forums

News & politics

Support for the EU has now risen to its highest level in ten years

(49 Posts)
varian Fri 20-Oct-17 12:33:24

Europe-wide public support for the European Union has hit its highest level in a decade, according to a new poll, with opinion making a clear jump since last year’s vote by Britain to leave the bloc.

About 57 per cent of EU citizens now feel that membership is good for their country, up 4 per cent since last year. And 60 per cent say their country has benefited from EU membership. It confirms the trend seen in other polls in the wake of the Brexit vote that show Europeans rallying around the EU.

The so-called Parlemeter poll’s organisers – who interviewed 27,881 people in all 28 EU countries – said the current deadlock in the Brexit talks affected opinion, with the rest of Europe seeing how messy it has been for the UK.

The survey shows British public opinion is close to that of the European average, with 55 per cent of those polled saying that EU membership has benefited the country.

This was reported in the "i" yesterday, but probably not in the DM , Sun or DE!

jevive73 Fri 20-Oct-17 14:14:55

I would favour another referendum. We do live in a democracy but get to vote people out and vote for change if we don't like the outcome. I think the effecs of Brexit are becoming more obvious and it would be a more convincing result this time around. I voted remain but I don't think it should have been a binary choice. I favour a reformed eu.

paddyann Fri 20-Oct-17 14:36:47

we cant reform it if we're not IN it ,the referendum was advisory ...there was no need to adhere to the result.Especially when all the eegits who started the ball rolling ran for the hills and left us to it.Of course it wont matter to THEMthat the country will go down the pan ...they all have personal wealth .As usual it will be the ordinary folk who suffer most

BlueBelle Fri 20-Oct-17 14:58:16

Well said Paddyann the referendum was only advisory, so few who wanted to leave acknowledge that

durhamjen Fri 20-Oct-17 16:22:20

Yes, I saw that, varian. It cheered us up to think that other countries are being sensible about it. It's just so obvious that any other country would be put off leaving by the Brexit mess.

nigglynellie Fri 20-Oct-17 18:01:27

David Cameron promised that the results of the referendum would be upheld , Parliament didn't challenge him, first past the post was incredibly agreed to as well,. Shout about it all you like, nothing can be done about it now, even J.Corbyn has admitted as much. Mind you he is a closet brexiteer and has been all his political life, although like all converts he is now a fervent remainer!

whitewave Fri 20-Oct-17 18:12:21

I understood that Corbyn voted to remain

durhamjen Fri 20-Oct-17 18:22:55

Yes, he did, because, like everyone else, he looked at what was on offer if we left, and realised it was a bad idea.

nigglynellie Fri 20-Oct-17 18:28:10

Of course he did, he's now a senior politician with an eye to the main chance, not a rebel backbencher as he once was who actually voted how he really felt. At least in those days up to his elevation, he was honest, but, you know what they say about power, even potential power!!!

nigglynellie Fri 20-Oct-17 18:32:48

Sadly, 'twas ever thus! no matter who they are!

durhamjen Fri 20-Oct-17 18:37:52

So everybody else is supposed to do that, and is believed, but not Corbyn?
Strange how the EU think he is honest, more honest than May.

Day6 Fri 20-Oct-17 19:02:17

I suspect the pro-EU propaganda machines are working overtime. Most people I know are desperate for us to leave.

Independence IS NOT ALLOWED.

I know of no one who wants to remain in the EU, except my son and he is wearing blinkers we feel. Taken to task he refuses to acknowledge the concerns of those who voted Leave.

Two former colleagues who voted to stay are horrified by the bully-boy tactics of Brussels and the way Barnier and Juncker are full of negativity and bad-mouthing the UK.

Their feeling now is that we should get out as quickly as possible.

Do Remainers know the EU is demanding an 89 BILLION get-out fee from the UK even before we begin talking about any future relationship?

The EU is a huge drain, a money pit for a lowly return. It is definitely not value for our money - the regular BILLIONS we pump in.

varian Fri 20-Oct-17 19:10:41

It is very interesting Day 6 that you know no-one who wants to remain in the EU, except your son.

Your son is obviously part of that younger generation who have a bigger stake in our country's future and perhaps you should listen to him.

I find it astonishing that you know no-one else who believes we should remain in the EU. You must mix only with a very narrow group of people, or perhaps folk you know, and who know you, do not tell you why it is important that we should resist brexit because they realise you are not likely to listen to any other point of view.

durhamjen Fri 20-Oct-17 19:15:14

Everyone I know voted to stay and nobody has changed his or her mind, so that balances out, Day6.

whitewave Fri 20-Oct-17 19:17:14

day6 I wouldn’t take the 89bn too seriously. There has been no figures discussed yet except those in Florence.

I am also unclear what has been said by Brussels in relation to bad mouthing the U.K. I will be interested to read about it.

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 19:52:05

Varian I see that you take Day6 to task for not knowing anyone who voted Remain ( apart from her son) I only know a few ( three) who voted Remain, and durhamjen doesn’t know anyone who voted to Leave.We can’t all be strange.?

varian Fri 20-Oct-17 20:07:11

I know people who voted both ways.

In our rural village we were split 50:50. The farmers, business owners, professionals and retired professionals were all remainers. The richest and poorest folk mainly voted leave. We have made an effort not to fall out.

Amongst my own family, of all ages, who live in different parts of the UK, as far as I know we all voted remain, even the Telegraph readers.

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 20:28:22

Are there only about ten of you in your rural village?
Because in my village I don’t know many people who wanted to say outright one way or the other.

varian Fri 20-Oct-17 20:35:35

The village is small, but not that small, but we are a good community and do talk to each other. There are some folk who felt very strongly one way or the other and I think we do know how nearly everyone voted.

Tegan2 Fri 20-Oct-17 21:29:16

I really didn't know a great deal about the EU before the referendum [as has been pointed out to me by those more knowledgeable than myself recently] and it's only now that I've realised how much money it channels into poorer areas of the country, the Arts, the environment, Erasmus etc; many of which central government would ignore financially if possible. I wish I had taken more of an interest. If we remain in the EU [and I sincerely hope that we do] I have resolved to take more of an interest in it in the future even if it means being critical of some things. As has been said, if you're not in something you can't have a effect on it, can you.

paddyann Fri 20-Oct-17 22:53:22

Interesting that leavers said the EU had taken control ..of all the member states yet this week the EU has said it wont interfere in the Spain /Catalonia issue.Hardly jumping in and taking over!! The EU is only responsible for a small % of laws and rules here ..its Westminster that has ruined the country.wrecked the economy and leaves people who are vulnerable ,disabled or in financial hardship struggling as they cut the benefits while the rich continue to get richer and still dont pay the taxes they should.It will be the same people who have to struggle when we leave the EU.well done the brexiteers ,can we assume you're all tories?

Azie09 Fri 20-Oct-17 23:03:23

I completely agree Tegan. I think most people, Leavers especially, prefer hysteria to the truth which has always been that we benefitted hugely from EU investment in infrastructure, the arts, culture and education.

These are FACTS. fullfact.org/europe/reciprocal-benefits/

I feel so sorry for today's young who are deprived especially of educational opportunities and who will grow up in Tory led nonsensical country where 'Great ' is forced down their throats along with lower standards on foodstuffs, excessive use of pesticides, environmental degradation, cheap goods bought from countries with appalling human rights records and reduced worker's rights all in the name of profits and a deregulated economy. I don't blame the young for being angry and hopefully at the next general election they will use their voices and their votes.

Azie09 Fri 20-Oct-17 23:04:12

Hear, hear Paddyann.

nigglynellie Sat 21-Oct-17 07:02:48

Labour are just as committed to leaving the EU as the Torys, so what difference would a change of government make apart from putting the country into enormous debt, far worse than anything we have now?

Welshwife Sat 21-Oct-17 07:24:12

In UK there has been little publicity about projects that have been fully or partially funded by the EU. The funds they gave to really poor areas have been enormous. In Wales where there are huge areas that young people find difficult to get transport to attend colleges the EU gave funds to have colleges in small places fitted with all the video equipment so that students could watch live lectures going on in the larger institutions and did not need to travel. This was not greatly publicised at the time but I knew about it as I was working at the Higher Funding Agency at the time and did some of the documentation.
In many EU countries boards are put up on projects telling about where the funding is coming from - that only happened fairly recently in the UK.
People in many areas woke up too late to realise the funding they had enjoyed would no longer be there - who will trust this Govt to pay it when all they are doing is making cuts.