Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU wants us to pay 89 BILLION divorce charges.

(395 Posts)
Day6 Fri 20-Oct-17 13:07:50

Walk away very quickly Theresa May. This is NOT ON. Blackmail or what?

How many of us knew that was the figure the EU demanded? Spite and greed...

From the Guardian. On Thursday morning, political allies of the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, confirmed that the EU wants the UK to agree to pay up to €100bn (£89.4bn) to settle the Brexit divorce bill.

89 BILLION........89 BILLION!!! Before Brussels will even consider a trade deal.

I see the Leaving the EU thread has been pulled because of personal insults.

We have to pull the plug on the EU because this is a divorce lawyers equivalent of pure spite and greed.

We will walk away with no deal and rightly so. Being held over a barrel by EU politicians is not on. We have made an a reasonable offer ...in billions, (£17b billion I believe) just to break away, before any trade deal is discussed. This is not acceptable to the greedy Brussels gravy train.

Now we are being held to ransom by Brussels,

No business man EVER would settle for a bad deal. No wonder talks have stalled.

Walk away very quickly Theresa May. This is blackmail.

WTO talks should begin asap. We will trade with the rest of the world. The EU is cutting off it's nose to spite it's face. Let it do so.

89 BILLION. It is beyond belief...That's what the EU wants just to settle the divorce bill before any trading agreement is reached. I would not want to do business with that firm of shysters.

No deal it is and rightly so. That is all we can consider in the face of EU spite and greed. Let's start afresh.

whitewave Fri 20-Oct-17 16:19:48

dj losing our dominance in the financial sector is worrying indeed. WTO doesn’t cover that area, so we need to think very carefully about losing 40% of our income.

durhamjen Fri 20-Oct-17 16:26:01

Did you see the tweet by the chief of Goldman Sachs about going to spend much more time in Frankfurt from now on?
They've leased enough office space for 800 staff.

whitewave Fri 20-Oct-17 16:30:49

I am interested to know where the bill of 89bn€ has come from.
I understood that the only figures talked sbout officially to date are the Florence speech figures. So Maybot has bandied about the figures that we owe up unti the end of the budget. We are signed and sealed for that.

I understood that the negotiations are about the areas that may indicate a U.K. liability and not yet any actually liability?

durhamjen Fri 20-Oct-17 16:35:42

She has gone into Maybot mode again, hasn't she?

infacts.org/dont-cry-brexit-britain/

whitewave Fri 20-Oct-17 16:38:47

Brexit “The most grotesque example of John Stuart Mills “Tyranny if the majority” “

suzied Fri 20-Oct-17 17:08:18

No mention of any such figure on the news- sounds a bit like a Daily Mail figure picked out of thin air

dbDB77 Fri 20-Oct-17 17:12:18

Just a few points on the finances.
For many years the EU accounts could not be approved & signed because of poor financial & budgetary management - I remember Neil Kinnock as a Commissioner strongly criticising the EU and telling them to get their house in order - in the last couple of years there's been improvement & the accounts have been signed but they are "qualified" accounts - i.e. "they're OK apart from the £8 billion of expenditure that can't be accounted for" - so given their record in financial matters what've they based their £89 billion figure on?
I seem to remember that the UK voted against the current EU budget which was increased despite the financial difficulties in the member states - but we were overruled.
I think it's reasonable to accept our liabilities - but let's offset our assets as well - we've paid for a lot of capital expenditure projects in the EU member states and we should get credit for them.
We shouldn't be tied to any current or future expenditure in which we have no say. For example - all our pensions in the UK - State, Public & Private sectors - have been reviewed and reformed in recent years - less inflation-proofing & higher age before we receive them - so I'd think it unfair if we had to keep paying for unreformed EU pensions.

suzied Fri 20-Oct-17 17:15:11

It's funny how Brexiters complain about being labelled thick racists when they never say anything nasty about snowflake elites who voted remain!
I am sure all Leave voters were highly cultured , intelligent, well informed and supporters of multiculturalism . Let's leave it at that.

petra Fri 20-Oct-17 17:39:11

durhamjjen
Re Goldman Sachs. The figure you give still leaves 5,700 working in London. I would imagine they won't be fighting each other for a chance to work in Frankfurt, it's not exactly London.

trisher Fri 20-Oct-17 18:04:05

petra if Goldman Sachs goes others will follow. But of course Day 6 is absolutely right let's walk away without a deal. Let's make a complete and utter mess of this instead of just a partial one. Never mind if it will plunge this country into depression and make things worse. It's the principle that counts isn't it and we won't pay that much to Johnny Foreigner. After all we are BRITISH grin

whitewave Fri 20-Oct-17 18:05:04

dbD i think that what you have talked about is forming a small part of the negotiations.

But I wouldn’t get too hung up on 89bn, that is a figure plucked out of thin air and means nothing at this stage.

varian Fri 20-Oct-17 19:16:58

Isn't it extraordinary, that 16 months after the referendum, there is not even an agreement on what our liabilities are. It should have been possible for the British Govt and the EU to agree, firstly, what items should be included and secondly how much that adds up to, but no. If you want to know how much we are honourably bound to pat (termed the divorce bill by the brexit tabloids), then take you pick from any number of numbers pulled out of a hat.

fullfact.org/europe/eu-divorce-bill/

suzied Fri 20-Oct-17 19:19:11

Of course none of this was highlighted before the referendum

durhamjen Fri 20-Oct-17 19:24:11

And in the meantime, according to the OECD, the UK has the worst economic growth not only of all EU countries, but also the G7.

Doing really well, aren't we?

whitewave Fri 20-Oct-17 19:27:03

Wonder how bad it has got to get before brextremists agree that Brexit isn’t such a good idea after all.

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 19:42:47

Petra exactly, regarding Goldman Sachs, there will be some who may go to Frankfurt, but London is still the place to be ( a friend’s son works for them and London is his whole world.?)
It isn’t bad at all at the moment whitewave so no point in speculating.

nigglynellie Fri 20-Oct-17 20:06:56

What's bad at the moment that particularly relates to brexit?

whitewave Fri 20-Oct-17 20:12:33

If you have to ask that question, then you aren’t paying attention.

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 20:26:04

Not really an answer whitewave ?

There is much speculation and talking the UK down, but as Brexit is only just underway nothing much is actually happening, good, bad or indifferent.

varian Fri 20-Oct-17 20:31:18

Exactly lemongrove nothing much is happening. It was all supposed to be so easy. How many people voted leave because they were told it would be easy?

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 20:36:59

Who thought it would be easy?
Since there is no actual policy in place for leaving ( the EU couldn't imagine anyone wanting to leave!) then it was always going to be time consuming working out all the negotiations.But it will be done.

durhamjen Fri 20-Oct-17 20:39:45

theconversation.com/dig-for-brexit-comments-reveal-the-uk-government-digging-a-food-security-hole-for-itself-85798

Dead easy, varian, although Brexiteers are denying they said so.
Chris Grayling thinks it is, but he's an .....

lemongrove Fri 20-Oct-17 20:40:01

Nobody, I should think, voted Leave ‘ because it would be easy’ no point to that at all, they voted that way for various reasons, but it being easy to do didn’t come into the equation.

MargaretX Fri 20-Oct-17 20:47:41

Brexit is to the UK everything but to the millions living in the EU it is just one more subject. Many days pass by when the news doesn't mention Brexit. The EU has other more pressing subjects to worry about - Turkey eg.

If I remember rightly the UK signed all the documents which relate to the divorce bill. The main mistake concerning the referendum was that whereas in most EU countries 70 % of all possible voters must vote yes before a refendum is successful.
Cameron should have knewn that. What a fool he was.

whitewave Fri 20-Oct-17 20:48:13

grin I’ll get back on that lemon I’m off now to ask all those voting leave. I may be some time.