Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU wants us to pay 89 BILLION divorce charges.

(395 Posts)
Day6 Fri 20-Oct-17 13:07:50

Walk away very quickly Theresa May. This is NOT ON. Blackmail or what?

How many of us knew that was the figure the EU demanded? Spite and greed...

From the Guardian. On Thursday morning, political allies of the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, confirmed that the EU wants the UK to agree to pay up to €100bn (£89.4bn) to settle the Brexit divorce bill.

89 BILLION........89 BILLION!!! Before Brussels will even consider a trade deal.

I see the Leaving the EU thread has been pulled because of personal insults.

We have to pull the plug on the EU because this is a divorce lawyers equivalent of pure spite and greed.

We will walk away with no deal and rightly so. Being held over a barrel by EU politicians is not on. We have made an a reasonable offer ...in billions, (£17b billion I believe) just to break away, before any trade deal is discussed. This is not acceptable to the greedy Brussels gravy train.

Now we are being held to ransom by Brussels,

No business man EVER would settle for a bad deal. No wonder talks have stalled.

Walk away very quickly Theresa May. This is blackmail.

WTO talks should begin asap. We will trade with the rest of the world. The EU is cutting off it's nose to spite it's face. Let it do so.

89 BILLION. It is beyond belief...That's what the EU wants just to settle the divorce bill before any trading agreement is reached. I would not want to do business with that firm of shysters.

No deal it is and rightly so. That is all we can consider in the face of EU spite and greed. Let's start afresh.

durhamjen Wed 25-Oct-17 17:27:59

So funny how Brexiteers think it's okay for prices to go up, when a year ago you were probably saying they wouldn't.

If you want to pay more for your milk so the farmer gets a fair price, buy organic.

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-Oct-17 18:23:42

We still have ours delivered, from a local dairy farm. Surely that option’s still open to everyone.

Firecracker123 Wed 25-Oct-17 19:28:55

I want all the farmers to get a fair price not just the organic farmers.

durhamjen Wed 25-Oct-17 19:40:55

I presume, in that case, Firecracker, you buy the most expensive milk when you go to the supermarket.

Jalima1108 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:24:50

If you want to pay more for your milk so the farmer gets a fair price, buy organic.
Most people won't, though, and it is again the supermarkets who drive the price. Most people who can afford a weekly shop could afford to pay just a little more for their milk so that dairy farmers can earn a reasonable living. This could mean not buying so much in the way of soft drinks, crisps etc.
I saw a baby in a pram today, not more than a year old, being handed a bottle of Coca Cola.
I expect the young mother would say that she couldn't afford to pay more for milk.

Firecracker123 Wed 25-Oct-17 21:06:10

I would be happy to pay a higher price for milk if the dairy farmer got a good deal, I always buy British milk. Just because you are paying more in one supermarket doesn't mean the dairy farmer gets paid more.

Tegan2 Wed 25-Oct-17 22:11:49

So, you're worried about farmers not getting enough money for their milk, but not concerned about British Nationals living abroad who's pensions are reduced because of brexit? Or people in Ireland worried about a hard border and a return to the troubles?

durhamjen Wed 25-Oct-17 22:39:28

What about Irish farmers?

durhamjen Wed 25-Oct-17 22:41:08

Start a petition to Gove to say you want farmers to be paid more for their milk.
It won't help the soil, which is what this is about, but never mind.

durhamjen Wed 25-Oct-17 22:43:39

Sorry, wrong thread.

Jalima I can't believe you said that most people won't pay more for their milk, or buy organic.
Most people are not vegan or vegetarian. It doesn't mean you can't be if you want to be, or I can't be.
That's a real cop-out.

Jalima1108 Thu 26-Oct-17 09:43:44

confused
Yes, I think we are on the wrong thread djen!
How did that happen
but, while we're here, no, it's not a cop-out - the number of people I know who go to certain supermarkets because everything is good value and 'the milk is cheap too' is astonishing. So what I said is probably true. So most people is probably correct.

As for So, you're worried about farmers not getting enough money for their milk, but not concerned about British Nationals living abroad who's pensions are reduced because of brexit? Or people in Ireland worried about a hard border and a return to the troubles? - words fail me (nearly).

So - because one wonders about one thing one cannot worry about another? Astonishing.

I expect a deal will be brokered regarding the pensions of people living in EU countries - which is more than can be said for pensioners who live in Commonwealth countries whose pensions have never gone up since they left these shores.

But that is yet another thing to worry about.

Along with the Gibraltese and the Falkland Islanders and countless other concerns.

durhamjen Thu 26-Oct-17 11:46:01

I don't think Tegan meant you, Jalima.

Yes, most people could be correct, but people on here who care about the price of milk that farmers get could buy the more expensive milk at the supermarket, leaving the cheap milk on the shelves.
Changes take time - speaking as someone who has been vegetarian for over 40 years!

If the prices of imported food is going up after Brexit, the cost cutting in supermarkets will be on local foods like bread and milk. The mindset needs to be changed before we leave the EU.

durhamjen Thu 26-Oct-17 11:47:05

That was bad grammar, wasn't it?

If the PRICE of imported food IS going up....

Jalima1108 Thu 26-Oct-17 14:03:55

OK Tegan it was probably a misunderstanding.

Tegan2 Thu 26-Oct-17 14:11:16

Sorry Jalima; was replying to Firecracker. Am dipping in and out of the forum at the moment [having my never ending clear out at home] and am not reading things as thoroughly as I should!

Jalima1108 Thu 26-Oct-17 16:25:39

Sometimes I get confused about which thread is which hmm as they seem to cblend into one another.

JessM Thu 26-Oct-17 18:09:36

David Davis really doesn't inspire confidence does he. Yesterday in the Committee he said that the Commons might get a vote on the final deal after we'd left... Today his department are back pedalling.

Primrose65 Fri 27-Oct-17 10:47:34

It looks as though there is not going to be any exodus of banking from London. There's an article in the FT today where UBS has received “regulatory and political clarifications” and will not be moving staff.

Mr Ermotti said that UBS already has all of the licences it needs in its EU bank in Frankfurt to continue all its EU businesses after Brexit. “Our target is to keep as many people as we can in London,” he stressed.

Welshwife Fri 27-Oct-17 12:33:24

Many banks do not particularly want to move out of UK but I think the point of that statement is that they already have all the paperwork they need in Frankfurt to operate across the EU. Other banks need to get that paperwork in place - the banking jobs create so much tax revenue for the UK Govt it is to be hoped that not too many do move.
Most of the banks that have announced staff moving to the EU are keeping staff in London also - this one is no different - the more staff they keep in London the less relocation packages they have to pay and the less new staff to recruit and train.