Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyns Momentum

(1001 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 08:49:58

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/20/labour-mp-clive-lewis-apologises-for-get-on-your-knees-comment

This as the Labour Party conference , a momentum fringe meeting.

Corbyn attended Momentum fringe invites but turned down Friends of Israel invite.

Very Donald Trump isn't it?

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 13:18:22

No use Trisher, it cannot be justified no matter who said it, it was vile and nothing changes the fact a bitch is female of the species . It is troubling that the young are being drawn into such a cult.

Chewbacca Sun 22-Oct-17 13:20:11

Comment; joke; whatever.... it was inappropriate. And I repeat; had any member of the Tory party made such a comment, no matter what the meaning behind it, Corbynistas would have been clutching their pearls in indignation.
Thank you for pointing out that a bitch is a female dog trisher, I never knew that. hmm

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 13:22:46

Just because you don't like it it doesn't mean it's vile. Lots of people use the term, gay men call each other it. I sometimes call friends it, friends sometimes call me it. It's just a word.

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 13:23:34

So I was mistaken to call my eight female dogs girls, I should have said , good bitch, not good girl. Silly uneducated me . We learn much here !

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 13:24:45

So I can call a poster a cow Trisher?

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 13:25:05

The young probably think what a boring bunch of old farts being offended by a word.

Ilovecheese Sun 22-Oct-17 13:26:16

Why is this thread called Corbyn and Momentum.
Should it not be called "Clive Lewis"

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 13:32:23

No because that would be breaching the forum guidelines Annie

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 13:33:20

Because Annie has a Corbyn, Momentum obsession

Chewbacca Sun 22-Oct-17 13:36:32

I'm offended by any word that is used to specifically denigrate women trisher. Young people; gay people; you if you so wish, may use it in whatever circumstances you deem appropriate but has no place being used in these circumstances. I find it odd that other members of the LP were "dismayed" by the use of the word, specifically because it's recognised as being a derogatory term, but you do not not. Again hmm

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 13:39:30

Breaching guide lines Trisher? You said it is just a word, you even call your friends bitch. Hello is just a word , does that breach guild lines ?

Primrose65 Sun 22-Oct-17 13:45:34

The young probably think what a boring bunch of old farts being offended by a word
It's a meme and I would imagine "the young" understand that it's a reference to getting on your knees to perform oral sex, trisher and according to the definition in urban dictionary "the act of the male telling the girl shes worth no more than to xxx"
Very few people get upset because of the word bitch.
Plenty of people find misogyny not funny.

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 13:45:56

Let me explain ilovecheese. It was said at a fringe meeting held by Momentum at the Labour Party conference.
momentum was set up to support Corbyn, he attends Momentum rallies, attended Momentum fringe meetings at the conference , they even arrange his public meetings. So he cannot be separated from them. Some labour MP's condemned the joke! Corbyn remained silent , could be he thinks it acceptable , could be he cannot risk upsetting them

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 13:48:56

True Primrose, it was the ON YOUR KNEES bitch which was unacceptable . Well not for some

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 13:58:16

Corbyn, unlike Trisher, Jen and ilovecheese finds the joke! Unacceptable

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 13:59:20

Chewbacca it also means the partner in a homosexual couple who takes the female role, so should gay men be offended.? And the submissive partner in a prison relationship, so should prisoners be offended?
In fact 'bitch' is often used by young people when they want to joke about their relationship with someone. Are they all misogynistic?

It isn't only women who perform oral sex you know.

The English language is something that changes and adapts and sticking with old fashioned ideas does no one any good.

Annie your dogs aren't young humans so not girls, but I have no objection to a bit of anthropromorphism if it makes you happy. Language as I said is to be used and adapted.

whitewave Sun 22-Oct-17 14:08:46

Would anyone like to post some of Johnson’s remarks and actions?

He is being considered as a potential leader.

Anniebach Sun 22-Oct-17 14:11:43

Distraction

whitewave Sun 22-Oct-17 14:13:17

No -balance

nigglynellie Sun 22-Oct-17 14:27:19

Not by me he isn't! Like annie, I refer to my much loved small cocker spaniel as our little girl or little maid. To call her our little bitch, which technically she is, sounds cold and unloving. It's a word I almost never use, it's aggressive and insulting in any context.

Chewbacca Sun 22-Oct-17 14:37:52

Perhaps you could start a thread of your own " Boris Johnson and his gaffes", WW, but this isn't it.

trisher, I'm perfectly well aware of the usage of the word bitch, and it's various meanings. I, and many others, including members of the LP, think that it has no place at any political party conference, fringe or otherwise. The very fact that CL has "apologised unreservedly" indicates that he is very well aware of how offensive the term is. If you find it acceptable, that's fine.

minesaprosecco Sun 22-Oct-17 14:45:02

Okay, the phrase is horrible and if used in a dominating way from a man to a woman (or to a man if the relationship is one where one man holds the balance of power over the other) then it is degrading. But reading the whole article and getting the whole context it is not worth getting upset about. And this thread certainly should have a different title. I knew who had posted it when I read the title though!grin

trisher Sun 22-Oct-17 14:52:35

As long as you realise it is perfectly acceptable for young people. Anyone who says "I'm just his bitch", and it is young men and women who say it, is actually complaining about the way they are being treated by someone (usually their boss), and it is an easy way of describing such treatment that young people understand. CL has probably apologised because he wants to keep his older voters happy. I never like to see language diminished because some people have fixed ideas and want to seem politically correct.

whitewave Sun 22-Oct-17 14:55:18

For reasons of balance and to save us all from hypocracy -let us remember some of Johnson’s memorable gaffs. Be clear to that a lot have been made whilst he holds a senior office of state.
Let’s start with his verbal gaffs before going on to his more personal/physical gaffs shall we?

piccaninnies -what a howler
Called Obama -part Kenyan
Talked about ending tariffs on alcohol in a Sikh Temple
Accused Papau New Guinea of canninbalism and chief killing
Claimed the Turkish pm had had sex with a goat in a poem
Compared the EU with the Third Reich
His disgraceful comments about female mutilation

This is just for starters.

And he has been considered for the Tory leader. Not fussy are they?

Chewbacca Sun 22-Oct-17 14:59:55

How modern and broad minded of you trisher. Personally, I feel that anyone who uses the term "bitch", says far more about themselves than they do about the person they're saying it to. Harriet Harman is similarly appalled but that's probably because she's "an older voter" too. or doesn't feel the need to get down wid da kids

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion