Gransnet forums

News & politics

Let's not Forget Brexit(2)

(474 Posts)
Cindersdad Thu 02-Nov-17 09:04:57

It seems that 1000 posts is the limit for a thread, so carrying on I have to commend Day6 for persistence though really cannot understand any of the reasons LEAVER have given.

Let's we get the full disclosure of the Brexit impact statements. I want to try to avoid repitition but we have probably said at one time or other everything to say about Brexit.

The bottom line is that we will be worse off outside the EU. Yes there fault with the EU but outside we can do nothing inside we have a say.

The referendum result was based on lies. The LEAVE campaign finances are not above suspicion.

MaizieD Fri 24-Nov-17 16:55:24

Staying in the single market means accepting freedom of movement. I think that May took her obsession with immigration with her from the Home Office to the Premiership.

The only other motive I can think of to assign to her is that she really wants to stuff up Brexit and remain in the EU and sticking to 'no single market' is the very best way to do it.

She's either a total halfwit or a genius...

durhamjen Fri 24-Nov-17 17:15:02

If only she knew which!

durhamjen Fri 24-Nov-17 17:40:16

This is why we are not taken seriously in the EU.

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/11/24/david-davis-refused-to-meet-brits-in-europe-countless-times

(There were two photos in the paper today, one of Davis and Boris together and one of Gove.
My grandson's comment was that he felt sorry for frogs.)

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Nov-17 18:02:22

As I said I am banking on the Irish. I really don't know how else we can resolve the problem of 'no hard border'. If it was decided we were staying in the single market - and therefore agreeing to the four freedoms - perhaps some people would think again.

mostlyharmless Fri 24-Nov-17 19:27:28

Reported in Politics Home today:

"Senior Indian diplomat: Britain must accept more immigration if it wants a free trade deal."
www.politicshome.com/news/uk/foreign-affairs/brexit/news/90906/senior-indian-diplomat-britain-must-accept-more

Another reason why Brexit will not live up to the Vote Leave promises.

durhamjen Fri 24-Nov-17 21:09:26

Have the Sinn Fein MPs ever voted on anything, GracesGran?
About time they started, I think.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Nov-17 21:25:31

There's a thought Jen. Perhaps this will stir them to make a point if nothing else.

Welshwife Fri 24-Nov-17 21:29:57

I was going to find the link about India -*mostly H* - but Priti Patel did tell them when we left the EU the UK would open the door to free movement for those from India.

durhamjen Sat 25-Nov-17 10:48:01

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/public-snub-hard-brexit-1-5295186

An interesting poll here. Good luck with that, David Davis.

durhamjen Sat 25-Nov-17 11:47:18

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/205169

A petition to ask the government to include the option of remaining in the EU in any meanungful vote in parliament.

mostlyharmless Sun 26-Nov-17 10:25:29

Anna Soubry in the Observer today (review section):

"My God. People will condemn this period. It will condemn those who haven't stood up and try to stop this nonsense."

She says Theresa May's Government is in thrall to just 35 hard Brexiters who have made getting a hard Brexit a test of their strength and of Theresa May's strength too.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/26/anna-soubry-interview-brexit-history-will-condemn-this-period?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Why doesn't The Observer or Guardian name those 35 Brexiters on their front page? It's ridiculous that 35 MPs are causing all these problems when most people want a soft Brexit (or better still, no Brexit).

durhamjen Sun 26-Nov-17 11:21:23

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/25/protest-vote-regret-voting-leave-brexit

durhamjen Sun 26-Nov-17 11:33:56

"I am the epitome of someone who is not a professional politician, who came into this after two previous careers [before her election to represent Broxtowe in Nottinghamshire in 2010, Soubry, 60, was a journalist and a barrister] with no ambition other than to represent my constituency. "

From Anna Soubry's article. She and fourteen others were named in the Telegraph article. Many of them had legal backgrounds. Some of them are now frightened when they go back to their constituencies.

Tegan2 Sun 26-Nov-17 12:30:03

I know I'm Labour and have always voted thus. However, come the next election I have it in my head that I will campaign for Anna because, although she still votes with her party she is still one of the few politicians that have spoken for me for the past year or so. I hold her in the highest esteem and I'm appalled that she feels so threatened for speaking openly about her beliefs.

durhamjen Sun 26-Nov-17 12:56:45

I would agree with you IF she voted with her beliefs, but so far, although she has spoken out against the government in the Brexit discussions, she appears to have voted with them in every vote.

durhamjen Sun 26-Nov-17 13:04:10

This is her voting record.

www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24772/anna_soubry/broxtowe/votes

Having had two previous careers, she would have had a lot of free education, which she is denying our grandchildren.

durhamjen Sun 26-Nov-17 13:11:32

"In October 2010, Soubry wrote in her monthly column in the Beeston Express that on returning to Parliament she met a "somewhat shell-shocked Parliamentary Assistant bearing a pile of some 300 cards from constituents urging me to oppose the proposed sell-off of the Royal Mail."[27]

She expressed dismay at the time and cost of replying to each constituent when she had already discussed the issue with the Communication Workers' Union (CWU).[27] Twelve days later, Soubry announced in the House of Commons that of the 700 postal workers in her constituency, to her knowledge, none had written to her opposing privatisation of Royal Mail and only two had came down to London.[28]

After complaints from the CWU, Soubry agreed she was wrong, but said that some of the letters had been misfiled and others had arrived late or were sent to the wrong MP and that the CWU had been inefficient. She claimed she genuinely believed she was telling the truth and that the bill protected Royal Mail, its workers and the universal postal service and that was the only reason she supported it.[29] "

Anniebach Sun 26-Nov-17 14:11:25

How different it could have been if Corbyn had come out of hiding and. It gone on holidays but led the fight against leaving, but in fairness he wanted out

GracesGranMK2 Sun 26-Nov-17 14:52:11

It is interesting to read of your dilemma Tegan. I think we really do have something going on that means there are so many divides in the country that for some the old party divide may not be the most important in the next election.

MaizieD Sun 26-Nov-17 15:53:41

Here are a load of businesses which don't seem to be very happy with Brexit and the way it's being handled:

It's an 'unrolled' twitter thread

Last tweet:

So, yeah, not a lot of love in the room for Brexit from British business. In fact, there was none.

threadreaderapp.com/thread/934356990217916416

Tegan2 Sun 26-Nov-17 16:22:44

At this moment in my life brexit overrides every other issue sad.

durhamjen Sun 26-Nov-17 17:28:35

Reading that thread, Maizie, while listening to War of the Worlds musical.
You should try it; very menacing.

durhamjen Mon 27-Nov-17 19:50:33

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-impact-papers-eu-uk-ministers-battle-a8078911.html

And about time.

durhamjen Mon 27-Nov-17 22:59:20

This is a jackofkent report of the timeline of Davis's impact papers.

jackofkent.com/2017/11/the-early-history-of-the-58-brexit-sector-analyses/

Davis has most definitely got himself into a pickle with it all.

Enough to bring the government down for contempt of parliament?

Tegan2 Mon 27-Nov-17 23:58:39

So; where are they then confused...?