Gransnet forums

News & politics

Let's not Forget Brexit(2)

(474 Posts)
Cindersdad Thu 02-Nov-17 09:04:57

It seems that 1000 posts is the limit for a thread, so carrying on I have to commend Day6 for persistence though really cannot understand any of the reasons LEAVER have given.

Let's we get the full disclosure of the Brexit impact statements. I want to try to avoid repitition but we have probably said at one time or other everything to say about Brexit.

The bottom line is that we will be worse off outside the EU. Yes there fault with the EU but outside we can do nothing inside we have a say.

The referendum result was based on lies. The LEAVE campaign finances are not above suspicion.

Tegan2 Tue 21-Nov-17 22:17:51

But isn't it better to be part of the EU and having a say in what happens in Europe than just watching from the sidelines, petra? The way we are going we shall have no influence on anything that happens in the world [other than probably having to agree with everything America says or does].

durhamjen Tue 21-Nov-17 22:25:16

jackofkent.com/2017/11/brexit-diary-a-reality-check-for-remainers/

We have until March 2019 to get the government of whichever persuasion to do the paperwork for us to remain, Tegan, according to JackofKent.

durhamjen Wed 22-Nov-17 17:05:50

infacts.org/global-influence-outside-eu-just-look-icj-decision/

Losing our influence all over the world, not just in the EU.
India now has a judge on the UN ICJ, not the UK.
A direct result of Brexit.

durhamjen Wed 22-Nov-17 19:05:31

www.theguardian.com/law/2017/nov/21/rule-of-lawin-uk-at-risk-after-brexit-says-former-supreme-court-president

durhamjen Wed 22-Nov-17 19:09:14

Here's another way we could have a second referendum, Tegan.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/22/vote-leave-funding-democracy-electoral-commission

durhamjen Thu 23-Nov-17 17:15:19

This is going to annoy a few people.

www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/22/gibraltar-heading-for-abrupt-exit-from-single-market-says-spain

I expect much indignation.

Tegan2 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:24:47

Not exactly regarding brexit but I read that Murdoch seems to be supporting Gove's leadership plans because Jerry Hall really likes him and thinks he 'really clever' sad.

durhamjen Thu 23-Nov-17 19:19:35

Shows how clever Murdoch is, then. Better not let him take over Sky altogether.

durhamjen Thu 23-Nov-17 19:27:15

www.politico.eu/article/uk-disappointed-at-culture-of-capital-snub/

Not really surprised at this.

Tegan2 Thu 23-Nov-17 20:26:23

God job he doesn't have any influence in the country, isn't it...shock..

mostlyharmless Thu 23-Nov-17 22:46:59

Has Corbyn seen the light over Brexit? Polly Toynbee thinks he has. Let's hope so. It could be a real turning point for Brexit perhaps?

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/23/jeremy-corbyn-brexit-tories-labour-eu

durhamjen Thu 23-Nov-17 22:51:35

"Here’s his best tirade: “Seventeen months after the referendum they say there can be no hard border but haven’t worked out how. They say they’ll protect workers rights, then vote against it. They say they’ll protect environmental rights, then vote against it. They promise action on tax avoidance but vote against it time and time again.” "

From the article, for those who never watched and don't want to read it.

durhamjen Thu 23-Nov-17 23:17:32

Tegan, this is why Murdoch should not be allowed more influence.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/23/ken-clarke-cameron-had-deal-with-murdoch-for-2010-election

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Nov-17 07:57:38

Interesting article Mostly, Jen. I think he has been right to hold back until now and he has focused on the UK issues that otherwise tend to be overlooked but it was just the right area on which to attack the government this week.

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Nov-17 08:01:01

Britain crashes out of world's top 5 economies

Treasury chief Philip Hammond acknowledged the slide on Wednesday, noting the new ranking in a series of statements meant to highlight the economy's strength.

"Britain is the world's sixth largest economy," Hammond said in his closely-watched budget speech. ...

The slide reflects a sharp deceleration in Britain's economic growth since it voted to leave the European Union in June 2016. The pound has weakened dramatically, consumer spending has slowed and prices have spiked.

durhamjen Fri 24-Nov-17 08:32:21

www.theweek.co.uk/budget-2017/89938/debt-will-not-fall-to-pre-2008-levels-for-50-years

Well done, Brexiteers. Is this what you wanted for your children and grandchildren?

MaizieD Fri 24-Nov-17 09:19:08

Well, this is interesting. From Leaver, Richard North's blog:

. According to a source directly in touch with her, with whom I talked earlier in the week, the decision to leave the Single Market was taken solely by the Prime Minister, after discussing the issues only with her then closest advisor, Nick Timothy.

Crucially, neither Mrs May nor Timothy had the first idea of the consequences of taking the UK out of the Single Market, nor any understanding of what the country's new "third country" status brings.

Without having consulted with other political colleagues, or more widely with business or industry – much less those of us who had done the background research – Mrs May led us blindly into a trap of her own making. She created a political environment where it is virtually impossible to devise or sustain "a coherent policy on Brexit".

So, did she paint us into an impossible corner from the start just on the decision of herself and her unelected advisor or, as a commenter on the blog suggests, had she consulted other colleagues?

www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=86679

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, this blog is really worth following. North posts every single day; he's very knowledgeable and the BTL comments, which come from Leavers and Remainers, are civilised and (mostly) informed.

MaizieD Fri 24-Nov-17 09:21:16

I thought we'd crashed out of the top 5 quite some time ago, GG2 confused

Are they only now acknowledging this?

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Nov-17 10:02:00

I know I have been writing 5th or 6th when I have been posting as different journalist have used different ones Maizie. I think this is just a case of having to admit the truth.

I think I may just be missing it but I can't see where to sign up for Richard North - can you give me an idiot's guide?

MaizieD Fri 24-Nov-17 11:03:51

You don't particularly have to 'sign up' for North's blog; I haven't. To access his earlier blogs just follow the link I gave earlier then click on Archive in the menu bar at the top. That gives you a complete list of his daily blogs. As far as I understand it he's been blogging daily about leaving the EU for many years so I imagine that there are thousands there to read grin

You can also access his 'plan' for leaving, Flexcit, through the menu bar. I haven't read it (because I don't want to Leave) but I think he advocated a staged withdrawal by way of the EEA with a transition period over a number of years . He is incandescent about the mess that May is making of Brexit

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Nov-17 12:31:16

I think you posted the Flexcit link before Maizie, but worth looking at again as my view of how we would best be represented in these negotiations changes a little at times. Glad it wasn't my brain-fog settling in with the sign-up bit.

I with him on the 'incandescent about the mess that May is making of Brexit', especially hearing (only hearsay I agree) that it was May, basically alone, who decided we had to leave the single market.

varian Fri 24-Nov-17 14:19:01

May was not quite alone when she made that decision. Reportedly she was with her discredited advisor, Nick Timothy. I wonder if they had both missed the numerous assurances from the leavers that "nobody is talking about leaving the single market"?

mostlyharmless Fri 24-Nov-17 14:47:31

Wouldn't staying in either the single market or at least the Customs Union, avoid the Irish border problem?

GracesGranMK2 Fri 24-Nov-17 16:25:18

I was thinking that Mostly. As the Irish are - quite understandably - playing their best card and threatening to block progress in the talks, unless they get a guarantee of no hard border, I feel Parliament should be consulted about whether we leave or stay in the single market. Why is May making such decisions alone. She may be PM but she is not Parliament and doesn't have a majority.

durhamjen Fri 24-Nov-17 16:55:09

Looking at this makes me feel really depressed.

infacts.org/eu-helped-create-oasis-peace-crazy-quit/

Do Brexiteers really think that we will be protected because there is water between us and everywhere else?
We've sold weapons to most of the aggressors.