Gransnet forums

News & politics

When is she going to fire him? (Boris)

(162 Posts)
Nandalot Tue 07-Nov-17 13:34:36

Boris may have caused a British Iranian woman’s sentence in Iran to be doubled to 10 years by something Liam Fox calls ‘ a slip of the tongue’.The woman was on holiday with her family in Iran when she was accused of spying. Johnson said she was there teaching journalism which the Iranian authorities leapt on as spreading propaganda. I don’t think May will give him the boot. She fears him too much to let him loose. Meanwhile, the UK, and this poor woman, have to endure the repercussions of his ‘slips of the tongue’.

durhamjen Sun 12-Nov-17 22:54:51

Surely May could take over from Johnson in this one case and talk to the Iranians as a leader and a woman.

durhamjen Mon 13-Nov-17 10:29:39

"Boris Johnson’s Iran blunder continues to undermine his reputation, but today he has been thrown a political lifeline by Richard Ratcliffe, the husband of imprisoned British-Iranian national Nazanin Zaghari-Ratciffe. Showing a dignity and understanding that some Tory MPs believe our Foreign Secretary lacks, Ratcliffe told the BBC that he didn’t want Boris to be sacked – because he could do more good by actually now trying to get his wife released. They spoke last night for the first time (which is extraordinary in itself given how long she’s been jailed) and hope to meet face to face this week. In what could be a significant move, Boris told him Zaghari-Ratcliffe could be ‘eligible’ for ‘diplomatic protection’. If she is indeed protected, his political career could survive."

Why has it taken this long to realise?

durhamjen Mon 13-Nov-17 10:32:04

"Keir Starmer told the Today programme that while Boris should have been fired a while ago, “we should all reflect on what Richard is saying this morning”. Professor Mads Andenas, a former UN special rapporteur on arbitrary detention, also told Today that Government ministers should “be consistent in not casting doubt on her story”. “From my point of view it looks like a cock-up. They haven’t taken the briefing notes seriously,” he said. In Brussels this morning, Boris said: “We are working very, very hard and intensively and impartially on all those cases”. Note the word ‘impartially’. "

Why impartially?
Does the man have no feelings?

lemongrove Mon 13-Nov-17 10:32:23

durhamjen actually, T May ‘being a woman’ will not cut any ice with Iranians.

lemongrove Mon 13-Nov-17 10:37:05

Gove is quite precise and measured ( with words) so I think it meant ( when asked by Marr ‘what was she doing in Iran’?)
He answered ‘I don’t know’ which must mean precisely that, he doesn’t know, which is an honest answer.

lemongrove Mon 13-Nov-17 10:39:01

Impartially, probably means that no one case takes precedence over another, as there are several British citizens being held around the world.

durhamjen Mon 13-Nov-17 10:47:16

There are several being held in Iran, not just around the world. Some have been held there for years; a grandfather, Kamal Foroughi, 77 years old has been there for seven years.

So suddenly Boris has discovered that he needs to work very hard and intensively to try and free these people.
The two families took a petition to the foreign office together a year ago.
What happened to that?

Day6 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:50:59

"Why impartially?
Does the man have no feelings?"

DJ - you use that phrase quite often, don't you? Are only your feelings valid?

I am sure the word impartially was used as a balm given the Iranian regime is not open to any sort of criticism. It could just be that he is trying (for a change) a bit of diplomacy?

lemongrove Mon 13-Nov-17 11:22:40

Boris is not the entire FO!
Am sure that they are doing all they can for British citizens,
But look what they are up against in Iran.
Being emotional would not work in the interests of these prisoners.

lemongrove Mon 13-Nov-17 11:24:08

Petitions do not work magic.

trisher Mon 13-Nov-17 11:28:30

Sounds awful but apparently what works best in Iran (and many other countries) is knowing who to bribe and how much to pay them.

Blinko Mon 13-Nov-17 12:27:25

Back to BJ and his mooted 'unsackability', I wonder whether it's a case of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.

whitewave Mon 13-Nov-17 12:43:42

More that there is no one in charge. Johnson and Gove trying to stage a coup.

lemongrove Mon 13-Nov-17 12:48:52

Blinko nobody is ‘unsackable’.

trisher Mon 13-Nov-17 13:31:32

Nicky Morgan thinks he should go, suddenly makes you think maybe he isn't so bad doesn't it?? Not so much the lesser of two evils more which idiot do you want in charge!

Tegan2 Mon 13-Nov-17 14:29:45

I can't believe that he is so awful as Foreign Minister but there is still the possibility of him becoming PM at some pointconfused.

Primrose65 Mon 13-Nov-17 14:31:53

Sounds awful but apparently what works best in Iran (and many other countries) is knowing who to bribe and how much to pay them

I agree, Trisher. I imagine this horrible situation really has very little to do with BJ and everything to do with money.

Day6 Mon 13-Nov-17 15:29:34

Yes, it's been said many times that poor Nazanin will be used by the Iranians as a bargaining chip. She is a hostage in jail rather than an offender. angry

GracesGranMK2 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:01:45

He has finally made a proper apology in the HoP.

durhamjen Mon 13-Nov-17 18:09:12

How about us using the earthquake as a bargaining chip.
Send Nazanin and her daughter home, and we will send help.

durhamjen Mon 13-Nov-17 18:23:38

www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/dear-boris-it-s-time-for-us-to-free-my-wife-nazanin-together-a3689466.html?utm_source=change_org&utm_medium=petition

1,018,000 signatures now

Blinko Wed 15-Nov-17 14:43:51

Lemons, nobody except BJ, it seems....

MaizieD Thu 16-Nov-17 22:30:02

Looks as if you were absolutely spot on correct, trisher

BORIS' £450M CHEQUE Britain preparing to pay a long standing £450m debt to Iran that will help free Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe

Boris Johnson and Philip Hammond authorise government lawyers to finally settle the 38 year-long dispute over a tank deal

www.thesun.co.uk/news/4923596/britain-450m-imprisoned-iran/

GracesGranMK2 Fri 17-Nov-17 07:19:05

Well that answers the question about why they are holding her. Let's hope their negotiation for this is better than it is for Brexit as there are other people imprisoned too.

durhamjen Fri 17-Nov-17 13:47:30

1,304,000+ signatures now.