Gransnet forums

News & politics

missing explorer

(54 Posts)
humptydumpty Wed 15-Nov-17 13:53:29

Benedict Allen is missing in Papua New Guinea at present.

As someone who lived in Papua New Guinea for 10 years, I would like to say that I think it is very unlikely indeed that anything has happened to him at the hands of the inhabitants, who, outside of the cities, I always found to be peaceable and courteous. (I know how the country is sometimes portrayed to the outside world, headhunters, cannibals etc.)

Tegan2 Thu 16-Nov-17 11:23:55

He really wouldn't do this as a publicity stunt; I bet it only hit the headlines because someone picked up on a comment made by a member of his family. He has always been the sort of explorer that meets up with indigenous tribes and tries to understand their way of life; he is so respectful of them and their way of life and doesn't want to 'westernise' them. I've often watched his programmes and thought 'he's not really there on his own; bet he's got a whole film crew with him' so at least I know that he really is alone. His programme with Frank Gardner was very moving.

pamdixon Thu 16-Nov-17 11:58:22

Delighted to hear he has been found - hope he gets home safely. There have always been people who are adventurers over the centuries - and life would be a lot duller if people weren't brave enough to explore some of the more remote parts of the world, and report back to us. It was his choice - his risk - and let's hope its paid off.

annsixty Thu 16-Nov-17 12:38:18

I have just read he lives in his wife's country so no expense for us getting him out.

humptydumpty Thu 16-Nov-17 13:07:54

His wife must have known he was an adventurer when she married him, can't expect him to give it up in that case.

BlueBelle Thu 16-Nov-17 14:28:23

PamDixon in a way I agree but why do these people have families and kids when they go off like this he s done awful things eaten his pet dog cut bits of himself off I don’t know if he has kids but if he has I think that’s the wrong part
I ve never seen any of his programmes but I remember reading a book of his donkey years ago

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 16-Nov-17 15:05:08

I've just heard on the news that 'an English explorer who was feared missing has been seen on video and appears to be safe and well.' I assume it is this chap and hope that all is well.

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 16-Nov-17 15:08:03

I agree MaryEliza, seems under prepared for the sort of eventualities which can occur even on a day out in London. Maybe he is just a typically (rather daft, selfish) bloke

durhamjen Thu 16-Nov-17 15:13:46

We'd still be thinking the world was flat if it wasn't for explorers who never thought about their families.

maryeliza54 Thu 16-Nov-17 15:17:45

He was apparently trying to track down a tribe who’d had no contact with the outside world - what on earth makes him think he’s got that right? I’m sure earlier explorers would have had their GPS etc if it had existed - it sounds like an affectation with him to travel without it - still makes for more exciting PR doesn’t it?

maryeliza54 Thu 16-Nov-17 15:20:39

Well it’s his choice and risk if he doesn’t expect to be rescued but he does. His children of course have no choice in whether theyll end up fatherless one day or not.

Eglantine21 Thu 16-Nov-17 15:44:54

Good, brave people die rescuing others who have acted foolishly, tried to be flamboyant and devil-may-care or have not prepared themselves properly for the task.

jura2 Thu 16-Nov-17 15:46:39

He knows what he is doing, the risks he is taking- and it is his decision. Leave him to it... and see what happens.

Greyduster Thu 16-Nov-17 15:49:15

I’m a bit puzzled by all this ‘lost tribe who’ve never been contacted by the outside world’ stuff. I thought I had read somewhere that this particular tribe had visits from evangelical missionaries. If they have, that’s bad news because these people have a track record of inflicting their particular philosophy on indigenous peoples and then, when their own way of life and customs have been subsumed, they b****r off and leave them in the lurch. Why can’t people just leave them alone? If they want contact with the outside world, they’ll come and find it themselves. If it was me, I wouldn’t bother!

maryeliza54 Thu 16-Nov-17 15:58:27

He asked to be rescued - he is not taking responsibility for his actions at all and least of all for trying to inflict himself on people who have not asked for his presence

icanhandthemback Thu 16-Nov-17 17:16:49

Even the people who usually applaud what he does have criticised him this time. I find it a little strange he can't have taken something with him which would allow rescuers to find him. I think he should have to pay for his rescue. After all, he will make money from the book about it! Whilst explorers do much to help us learn about the world, it can't be easy for their families.

Katek Thu 16-Nov-17 17:53:10

If he has no communications devices I’m wondering how anybody would know he was at a “remote airstrip” and asking for rescue. Asking on what?

travelsafar Thu 16-Nov-17 18:23:24

[maryeliza] I am fed up with listening to all these people who do bad stuff just to get themselves in the news. I have listened to Josh Rivers on BBC4 just now 'being all emotional' about tweets that he did about obese people, disabled people and racial comments too. Now he has lost his job through it all he wants forgiveness and no doubt there will be a book, newspaper articles, chat shows etc. It is so awful it makes you cynical even if you dont want to be!!!

NanKate Thu 16-Nov-17 19:11:59

In my youth I loved the tales of explorers in the jungle and desert written by Rider Haggard. King Solomon's Mines and She. In fact I am listening to She now on the BBCI Player.

I am not sure my comments add anything to this thread, but I am sure if this modern day adventurer writes a book I will read it.

BlueBelle Thu 16-Nov-17 19:26:00

Katek what I heard was that he d been spotted and this reported to the authorities, not that he’d been found by any devices

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Nov-17 19:35:09

Now for a game of Charades:
Film, Book or TV
Appearing on:
3 syllables:
The One Show
4 syllables:
The Breakfast Show
5 syllables:
The Graham Norton Show

Am I cynical?
Never

Tegan2 Thu 16-Nov-17 19:35:38

'and pioneered the use of the head-held camera for TV, for the first time allowing viewers to witness immersion of a traveller in remote environments without the artifice brought about by a camera-crew'..from Wikipedia. His exploits are probably the nearest any of us will ever get to having such adventures. And they probably don't cost as much as most expeditions do [or, at least, they didn't till this one]. I loved his series about the Namib desert with the camels.

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Nov-17 19:39:36

So who funds his expeditions or is he self-funding from books, tv, films?

Jalima1108 Thu 16-Nov-17 19:41:08

and do these remote tribes want to be found - presumably not because they would have appeared and joined the rest of civilisation in PNG - Port Moresby, for instance, is a very modern city.

Leave them alone!!

Greyduster Thu 16-Nov-17 19:56:57

I am also a Haggard fan, NanKate! When DH and I first got married he was serving in Brunei, and one day, their Padre decided he wanted to travel up the Brunei River to visit a village in the rain forest, and take a gift - in this case a fruit cake - for the head man. DH and a few other chaps were appointed to look after him, and they were supposed to be away for a couple of days. They were doing okay until the outboard on their boat conked out and they could go no further, but they did have a radio so they moored up, ate the fruit cake and waited to be rescued, which they were, within hours, and ignominiously towed home. As far as I know, no-one wrote a book!?

Blinko Thu 16-Nov-17 21:33:27

He's been found, hasn't he?