Gransnet forums

News & politics

missing explorer

(53 Posts)
humptydumpty Wed 15-Nov-17 13:53:29

Benedict Allen is missing in Papua New Guinea at present.

As someone who lived in Papua New Guinea for 10 years, I would like to say that I think it is very unlikely indeed that anything has happened to him at the hands of the inhabitants, who, outside of the cities, I always found to be peaceable and courteous. (I know how the country is sometimes portrayed to the outside world, headhunters, cannibals etc.)

gillybob Wed 15-Nov-17 14:20:04

I listened to an interview with his sister on radio 4 this morning humptydumpty and she said he didn't have any kind of GPS tracker, radio or mobile phone with him. Apparently he has been in some pretty hairy situations in the past (did I hear right that he ate his own dog to survive???) and there are helicopters out looking for him. He missed his flight but apparently that isn't unusual for him.

Greyduster Wed 15-Nov-17 14:31:16

Frank Gardner on the lunchtime news said he was keeping an open mind at the moment because there could be many reasons why he is delayed and not all of them are sinister. Let’s hope so.

Tegan2 Wed 15-Nov-17 14:33:21

I do hope he's ok. I've always loved his programmes.

maryeliza54 Wed 15-Nov-17 17:51:09

Why on earth didn’t he have any means of being contacted/contacting people? Sounds really selfish to me and means resources will be wasted looking for him and people who care about him being upset.

Jalima1108 Wed 15-Nov-17 18:14:11

I know people who live and/or work in PNG but some areas are so remote that it is likely that he is out of contact for any number of reasons, most of them not sinister.

maryeliza54 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:11:22

But isn’t GPS always available these days?

Oldwoman70 Wed 15-Nov-17 19:15:35

Saw an interview with one of his colleagues who said he was attempting to contact a tribe who had had no contact with the outside world and he felt to arrive "bristling with modern technology" would not be the thing to do. He has apparently gone missing in the past so let's hope he turns up well this time too.

annsixty Thu 16-Nov-17 08:28:24

If what I read in the newspapers and his final tweet is true, he was a totally irresponsible man who gave no thought for his own safety or his wife and family.
Never the less for their sake I hope he turns up safe and well and then gives up his travelling.

merlotgran Thu 16-Nov-17 08:39:37

I agree, annsixty. So selfish to put his wife and young children through so much anxiety.

merlotgran Thu 16-Nov-17 08:59:42

Apparently he's been sighted and is alive and presumably well.

I hope this isn't a stunt to promote his next book or TV documentary. hmm

Greyduster Thu 16-Nov-17 08:59:49

Just on the radio - he’s been reported live and well at a remote airstrip, apparently awaiting rescue.

felice Thu 16-Nov-17 08:59:59

Just on the news that he has been found safe, I hope he reimburses the rescue services for their efforts.

Greyduster Thu 16-Nov-17 09:00:16

Sorry merlot crossed post!

Eglantine21 Thu 16-Nov-17 09:17:41

I'm so cynical. I wonder if he has a book or programme coming out soon ?

lemongrove Thu 16-Nov-17 09:21:19

You can probably bet your boots on it Eglantine21 grin

merlotgran Thu 16-Nov-17 09:25:15

I pricked up my ears when I heard he was missing because when I was studying the environment and conservation etc., back in the nineties, our lecturer was a young woman who was absolutely besotted with Benedict Allen. We had to watch countless videos and read endless boring 'papers' whilst muttering, 'Never heard of him.' grin

Eglantine21 Thu 16-Nov-17 09:45:54

Never heard of him till now, so as a publicity stunt it worked pretty well. My cynicism kicked in well they said he hadn't taken any communication or tracking equipment. No serious expedition would do that. But then there wouldn't have been a story.
I sound quite cross. I think I need coffee.

radicalnan Thu 16-Nov-17 10:08:57

How much is it going to cost us to bring this old bloke home?

What with him and women going on 'holiday' to Iran no wonder there is no money for necessities.

W11girl Thu 16-Nov-17 10:30:39

He has been sighted according to Frank Gardiner (Today R4 this morning), and is requesting rescue.

Shelagh6 Thu 16-Nov-17 10:41:07

He’s at the airport and returning!

kittylester Thu 16-Nov-17 10:44:42

Irresponsible at best. Cynical at worst.

gillybob Thu 16-Nov-17 10:47:11

This is a strange one. Not sure about the whole "thing" now and wonder if its been a it of a set up. Just reading some of his comments "don't try to rescue me" being one of them. hmm

Agree with you kittylester

glammanana Thu 16-Nov-17 10:48:17

I am glad he has been found just for the sake of his family.
Going into this area without GPS could be that he wants to keep their whereabouts secret and stop the tribe from being visited by other explorers who could in fact bring all manner of illnesses to this remote tribe and in effect wipe them out.
On the cynical side of it yes he could be publishing a new book in readiness for his retirement fund.I hope he pays for the rescue out of his own funds.

Aepgirl Thu 16-Nov-17 10:48:42

Why do these people who want adventure and danger in their lives ever even consider having children? It's just selfish. And searching and rescuing these irresponsible people is expensive and also dangerous for others.

I'm all I favour of being adventurous, but others have to be thought of.