Gransnet forums

News & politics

Animal Rights after the Brexit Repeal Bill

(164 Posts)
Ilovecheese Mon 20-Nov-17 16:13:58

I'm sorry I don't know how to do a link but I have just read this in the Independent on line
"MPs have voted to reject the inclusion of animal sentience – the admission that animals feel emotion and pain – into the EU Withdrawal Bill.

The move has been criticised by animal rights activists, who say the vote undermines environment secretary Michael Gove’s pledge to prioritise animal rights during Brexit.

The majority of animal welfare legislation comes from the EU. The UK Government is tasked with adopting EU laws directly after March 2019 but has dismissed animal sentience.
The Government said during the debate before the vote that this clause is covered by the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

The RSPCA disputed the Government’s claim."

I'm not a great animal lover myself, but I don't like to think of them being treated as if they have no feelings.

I wondered what animal lovers think about this.

vampirequeen Mon 20-Nov-17 16:26:24

It's appalling. You only have to see a cat or dog that has been injured to see that they feel pain.

Perhaps it's so that they can bring back fox hunting and pretend that the animal doesn't feel fear when it's being chased or pain when it's ripped to pieces.

whitewave Mon 20-Nov-17 16:43:55

I can only think that somehow this will allow the U.K. to drop its animal welfare regulations after Brexit. Regulations in farming of course has a cost, and in order to compete in the world market we will allow our farmers to cut their costs by decreasing welfare conditions to our farm animals. I for one will never buy such resultant products. It is a disgrace.

The vote was based on nothing but profit

lemongrove Mon 20-Nov-17 17:04:47

Is the clause covered by the Animal Welfare Act 2006 as they say? If so, maybe that is all that is needed .
Of course animals feel pain, fear etc.But if that is covered by the relevent clause then.....?
I doubt that anybody can think animals feel no pain, they have a nervous system the same as us.Not the same range of emotions as us though.

lemongrove Mon 20-Nov-17 17:06:26

Why think that we will drop animal welfare regulations after Brexit? The UK has always treated animals far better than some EU countries!

petra Mon 20-Nov-17 17:13:35

'Some' people have a very low opinion of our farmers.

Ilovecheese Mon 20-Nov-17 17:21:45

The RSPCA said that only domestic animals are covered by the 2006 act.

Anniebach Mon 20-Nov-17 17:34:10

We were not in the EU when bear baiting, cock fighting and dog fighting was made illegal

whitewave Mon 20-Nov-17 18:12:07

True annie confused

whitewave Mon 20-Nov-17 18:19:53

I purchase all my meat directly from a farmer. Organic, grass fed with the highest animal welfare and I would strongly support him in his animal management.
Most farms do not manage their animals in this way and given the potential competition from imported meat, the temptation to cut costs simply in order to survive will be there. It is simply a fact of life.

We have a choice.

Continue to regulate a high animal farming welfare and insist that imported meat meets the same high standards

Or

Enter the race to the bottom

Primrose65 Thu 23-Nov-17 16:46:11

It seems the journalists twisted what was actually said in the Commons. Ben Fogle has already apologised on Twitter.
"I am happy to apologise and add clarity but I will criticise the confusion that pervaded around ‘assumed’ sentience within the bill."
Seems the govt didn't explain things properly and maybe the clause was not particularly clear or a whole other list of excuses. But it was fake news.

maryeliza54 Thu 23-Nov-17 17:43:31

Well regardless of what they really meant, it doesn’t bode well for the progress of the Withdrawal Bill that they couldn’t make it clear does it?

Primrose65 Thu 23-Nov-17 18:12:28

I think it was clear enough in the Commons, journalists have no excuse really, they should be able to report factually and not twist stuff. It's hardly the fault of MPs on any side of the house if the papers get it wrong - it's a journalist's job to find out the truth, not make stuff up! Apparently, this has been seen by millions, people have set up petitions ...... very poor show by plenty of newspapers imo.

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 18:14:49

Sounds about right Primrose I did think it sounded very peculiar, what a storm in a teacup.

maryeliza54 Thu 23-Nov-17 18:15:35

Primrose you aren’t being serious are you about what journalists should do - report factually, not twist stuff, find out the truth, not make stuff up - if only!

maryeliza54 Thu 23-Nov-17 18:18:34

Well storm in a teacup or not, Gove has announced a strengthening of current laws so the whole issue being aired could clearly make a difference. Also the Government should not be caught on the back foot like this- surely they should have been proactive with the amendment rather than allowing a media storm to develop and then react.

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Nov-17 19:42:39

I understand that we already have laws as good as if not more stringent than the EU ones and it would confuse things when we're no longer ruled by the European Court of Justice.

NfkDumpling Thu 23-Nov-17 19:44:51

Sorry, my 'pooter jumps rather and I missed Primroses post.

Jalima1108 Thu 23-Nov-17 20:25:16

I can only think that somehow this will allow the U.K. to drop its animal welfare regulations after Brexit.
Why? We will probably revert to the regulations we have always had which are higher than EU standards.
The standards of animal welfare in some EU countries is appalling.

Tegan2 Thu 23-Nov-17 20:30:42

'it's a journalist's job to find out the truth, not make stuff up! 'you mean, like the Queen supporting brexit etc The Daily Fail and The Scum wouldn't have a front page if they had to print the truth

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 21:59:48

Very true Jalima and interesting that those who didn’t vote to leave the EU are keen to attribute any old rubbish and false news to ‘Brexit nighmare scenario’ type of thing.

Years ago it was thought that many European countries had
Awful farming practices and animal welfare in general.
Now, it seems some even think the UK are the bad guys in this respect, without knowing the first thing about it.

We will be well out of the EU.

Primrose65 Thu 23-Nov-17 22:24:27

The Daily Fail and The Scum wouldn't have a front page if they had to print the truth

I do mean exactly things like the Queen supporting Brexit. Plenty of other papers would struggle too, as would all the clickbait political blogs.

Primrose65 Thu 23-Nov-17 22:33:37

Looks like this is the topic of Newsnight this evening. Perhaps they're stalking our forum now! grin grin

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 22:35:00

Yes, have just seen that Petra grin

lemongrove Thu 23-Nov-17 22:35:24

Sorry, Primrose