Gransnet forums

News & politics

Zimbabwe

(36 Posts)
kittylester Thu 23-Nov-17 17:10:17

Could someone give me their take on the situation in Zimbabwe please.

People seem to think that everything will be fantastic now they have got rid of Mugabe. But is his successor any better? He was, after all, his deputy and is implicated in lots of unsavoury things -or so I believe.

My loveliest Sil lived in Zimbabwe until he was 19 and left because the family farm was taken and they were all threatened. He doesn't want to go back but others in his family do.

I have a bad feeling about the future there.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 24-Nov-17 11:44:30

Lionpops
In the 1980's I made friends in the UK with a family who were born in what was then Rhodesia under Smith.
They felt they had no option but to get out but sadly left behind many friends These friends had farms and loyal Rhodesians working for them.They had also provided these workers with their own homes.They feared for them as they could only foresee that country would never be the same under Mugabe. How right they were.

MinniesMum Fri 24-Nov-17 12:09:14

I think the Chinese were behind it - several people have suggested it. They seem to be getting involved in the sort of "soft power" that used to do so well.
I can only hope that they will change their Constitution so that no serving President can extend his term beyond 10 years. That might help. There is a whole new generation of well educated Zimbabweans growing up now, travelling, studying and living outside of Africa and are more than ready to take on the "tribal elders" and put them back in their box. Bring it on.

quizqueen Fri 24-Nov-17 13:30:58

Whatever happens, I expect it will all be Putin's fault or Trump's. In reality, it will be just more of the same.

Sourcerer48 Fri 24-Nov-17 14:40:38

Below is a copy of an interesting post received on Facebook:

Mugabe orchestrated the entire coup. I'll elaborate:
Robert Mugabe is 93 next year. He realised the country is suffering and likelyhood of re-election is slim. He knows by stepping down it's going to mean... repercussions. Zanu-PF cannot win another election next year because of the party squabbles and as people are suffering because of the economy.
Plan begins. Robert Mugabe fires his right hand and most trusted lieutenant Emmerson Mnangagwa.....everyone is surprised and shocked thinking Grace has forced Robert Mugabe’s hand.
Mnangagwa just manages to 'escape'. Makes it look so easy.....
General Chiwenga begins military take over in rebuke to firing of Mnangagwa.
Country so eager for change they fall in line with hope of a good future. They see Mnangagwa and the military as their saviors, these are the people who will save Zimbabwe and turn it around. Bringing a new future.
It doesn't matter the history now, it just matters than Robert Mugabe is out and someone else is in. Suddenly now the entire country supports Mnangagwa and Zanu-PF again. The country falls in line and the looting continues. Zanu-PF is in control. Grace and Robert Mugabe leave without consequence and are guaranteed safe passage.
Why not just vote for a new president? Because that does not guarantee Zanu-PF continued rule - they can very well lose. This way Zanu-PF is chosen by the people because there is no alternative - only Mugabe again.
Three more years of transitional Zanu-PF rule and Mugabe is away and free with billions. Mnangagwa and Chiwenga continue looting. That's why Bob is laughing in the pictures of 'talks' - because they're his buddies and they're just enjoying tea discussing the next big scheme.

I am an 'ex Rhodesian' and have to say, very wary of what the future holds for the people of my beautiful country.

Sheilasue Fri 24-Nov-17 15:54:17

Not sure about 5his man as he was in the deputy president anyway. He knew what was going on. Hope the army keeps an eye on him.

Kim19 Fri 24-Nov-17 16:05:23

Think I agree with maryeliza54 in that much depends on how democratically the elections are carried out next year if, indeed, they are carried out at all. I'm trying so hard to be optimistic.........

Rosina Fri 24-Nov-17 16:06:55

He is evidently a bitter and dangerous individual - however it all depends on whose opinion you read. As ever we will have to wait and see.

CardiffJaguar Fri 24-Nov-17 16:10:49

Mugabe the Monster has created a situation where far too many people have no idea of what the country was like before he ruined it or of the possibilities in the future. Given the right leadership it could once again become the bread basket of southern Africa.

Morgan Tsvangirai won the election that Mugabe would not accept. He did offer some hope but is in no position now to change what is seen as a shoe-in by Mugabe's deputy. That will almost certainly lead to a continuation of all the bad things under Mugabe.

Luckygirl Fri 24-Nov-17 17:37:00

Mugabe realised the country is suffering - has that ever bothered him before?

W11girl Fri 24-Nov-17 18:08:30

With recent events the people seem to have become emboldened and may well keep the new leader under control. I think it is best to wait and see however.