Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Irish question

(529 Posts)
Coolgran65 Sun 26-Nov-17 16:46:29

Long before N.I. was a part of the European Union we travelled between N.I. and the Republic of Ireland freely. You were only aware of crossing the border when the road signage changed.

varian Sun 26-Nov-17 15:16:39

There are more than 300 border crossing points along the Irish border. Perhaps we will have a wall (we could force the Irish tompay for it just like Trump's border wall with Mexico which of course the Mexicans will pay for).

To guard the border 24/7 we could hire about a hundred guards and customs officials for every crossing point, armed with big guns.

I know that a lot of effort has been put into solving the Irish problem since the "troubles" of the 1970s but so what? We'll be taking back control. It's the will of the people.

Blinko Sun 26-Nov-17 15:12:27

Well, one 'solution' could be a 'soft' border with the Irish Republic but a 'hard' border with mainland uk. That'd go down like a ton of bricks, I think.

varian Sun 26-Nov-17 15:09:43

Some of us would like more than anything to remain in the EU, along with our Irish friends, but if we have to leave then at least we hope to remain in the single market and customs union.

If the extreme brexiteers have their way this will not happen. The Republic of Ireland will keep free movement of people, goods and services with the rest of the EU. We will not keep any of these freedoms, so what will happen at the Irish border?