Gransnet forums

News & politics

Christine Keeler

(71 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 05-Dec-17 20:43:29

Died last night aged 75. I don't think her life took as favourable a turn after the Profumo Affair as Mandy Rice Davies.'

RIP

Grandma70s Tue 05-Dec-17 21:22:57

Takes me back to my youth. I feel quite shocked. At the time of the Profumo affair, Christine Keeler lived not far from me in London, though I never saw her to my knowledge. I don’t think I’ve given her much thought between then and now. A sad story.

Anniebach Tue 05-Dec-17 21:36:49

Did she not marry a police officer ? It didn't last

RIP

Alima Tue 05-Dec-17 22:08:35

Her story loomed large all those years ago. Will always picture her astride that chair. RIP.

NotTooOld Tue 05-Dec-17 22:36:55

I've just been reading about her on Facebook. Seems she was the fall guy for various members of the establishment, ie her name was in the news to keep theirs out, in particular one gentleman in his 90s who has done very well for himself. I wonder if GN will delete this.

merlotgran Tue 05-Dec-17 22:47:15

Why on earth would they delete your post, NotTooOld. We all know to whom you are referring and as The Crown returns this Friday on Netflix, so will the whole country grin

#beenreadingthepreviews

maryeliza54 Tue 05-Dec-17 22:59:08

Basically she was a young prostitute who was pimped by Stephen Ward to the wealthy, well connected, aristocratic and political ‘elite’ and was then hung out to dry by them to suit their own purposes, including committing perjury and ending up in prison. The whole episode was everything that was rotten and corrupt in the so-called upper echelons of the establishment.

Eloethan Wed 06-Dec-17 00:03:02

Hello NottooOld I remember the flurry of news about the Profumo affair but I didn't pay much attention to the details as I was only 11 and not particularly interested. Who is the 90 year old who came out of it well?

FarNorth Wed 06-Dec-17 00:30:34

I don't know to whom you are referring, NotTooOld and merlotgran.
Hoping to be enlightened. smile

BlueBelle Wed 06-Dec-17 05:08:57

I know not either, shows how unenlightened I am
I remember the hoo hah at the time but never thought about it since

Billybob4491 Wed 06-Dec-17 06:02:30

I remember the Profumo case well, how shocked everyone was at the time. I can also remember the gentleman in his 90's as well, so long ago now.

Billybob4491 Wed 06-Dec-17 07:11:34

While the Profumo case was hitting the headlines,my father cancelled the News of the World, fearing his children would read about it. Managed to find a copy in the local library, read up all about it, armed with all the facts I then asked my father what "pillow talk" meant! the balloon went up!! Was met with a stunned silence - the age of innocence.

Jane10 Wed 06-Dec-17 07:30:04

I was wondering about this 90 year old. Is he the one who had a recent wedding anniversary or am I on the wrong track?

merlotgran Wed 06-Dec-17 08:52:43

I'm not revealing anything that hasn't already been in the public domain so panic not. grin

The next series of The Crown on Netflix will highlight the D of E's alleged involvement with Stephen Ward, the osteopath, who played a major part in the Profumo affair.

What an unfortunate coincidence that CK has died just as the series is about to be aired.

silverlining48 Wed 06-Dec-17 09:03:19

Its sad when you realise how young christine keeler was when all this began. I listened to the interview on the today programme this morning and another model at that time ( sandra ? married to an ex prime minister) talked about how young women were treated by much older men at the time.
Though things are different now, theres still a way to go.

BlueBelle Wed 06-Dec-17 09:05:19

Well your not revealing anything as I ve still got no clue who this 90 year old is

Anniebach Wed 06-Dec-17 09:06:59

Prince Phillip perhaps ?

silverlining48 Wed 06-Dec-17 09:07:05

I think it was mandy rice davis who coined ‘well he would say that wouldn't he.’ I think she came out of the whole affair better than ck.

Anniebach Wed 06-Dec-17 09:09:36

What is forgotten is how other women reacted to C.K. and other girls like her at the time.

Oldwoman70 Wed 06-Dec-17 09:11:17

You do know that The Crown is a fictionised account don't you. Personally I couldn't care less who she slept with. I do think she was badly treated and when I saw a photo of her a couple of years ago I felt very sorry for her.

Oldwoman70 Wed 06-Dec-17 09:13:25

oops that should be fictionalised (not enough coffee this morning!)

BlueBelle Wed 06-Dec-17 09:13:47

Well old Princy is 98 isn’t he, not 90 surely that must just be hearsay and speculation

Granny23 Wed 06-Dec-17 09:20:28

What a scandal it was at the time. Now we know there was much worse going on and kept hidden and that the same is true today. It certainly disabused me, a teenager at the time, of any notion that our 'Elders and Betters' were were worth 'looking up to'.

trisher Wed 06-Dec-17 09:39:34

Just read her obit in the Guardian. What a sad life. Arguably she was a damaged girl who found herself in an abusive society where she hadn't a hope She was only 19 at the time of Profumo and had had a baby, who died, when she was 17. I remember the photo of her. She was a beautiful girl. RIP Christine.

Anniebach Wed 06-Dec-17 09:43:44

Her most harsh critics were women , how easily this is forgotten