Gransnet forums

News & politics

Christine Keeler

(72 Posts)
merlotgran Tue 05-Dec-17 20:43:29

Died last night aged 75. I don't think her life took as favourable a turn after the Profumo Affair as Mandy Rice Davies.'

RIP

Anniebach Wed 06-Dec-17 15:17:53

Can't agree she was riding the wave of free love, she was making money , she was a prostitute , no free love in that profession. She was no different to the girls who slept with pop stars, except she was more honest

Scousegirl Wed 06-Dec-17 16:05:52

I was working as a cashier at a large hotel restaurant and Christine Keeler was dining there. At the end of the evening I helped her on with her coat. My sister remarked that I must have been the only person to have helped her put ON her clothes!!

Teddy123 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:25:58

I was 15 at the time ....... and remember being shocked. Couldn't ask my mother to explain. Such things were never discussed openly in our home as they are now. RIP

Anniebach Wed 06-Dec-17 16:46:39

Ward was pushed, he was the victim in this affair

Lilylilo Wed 06-Dec-17 17:59:56

I don't think she was a prostitute - she didn't get paid - she was just a beautiful working class good time girl who got mixed up with the wrong people

eazybee Wed 06-Dec-17 18:19:21

My mother remembered when John Profumo announced his engagement to Valerie Hobson, then a well-known English actress. The interviewer asked, would she be continuing her career; he leaned forward as she started to speak and said, 'Oh no, she will be far too busy looking after me, won't you darling.'
How are the mighty fallen.
At least he spent the remainder of his life working for a charitable trust in the east end of London, I believe.

blossom14 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:20:16

I was teaching English in a Chinese school in Hong Kong at the time of the trial. Some of my colleagues were from the US and I remember them devouring the details in the newspapers that were flown in within 2 days. No reports by the local radio or TV as far as I an remember - so very different from the present.

suzied Wed 06-Dec-17 18:27:44

I think the men were having more of a “good time” than the girls.

Anniebach Wed 06-Dec-17 18:38:24

She was the main prosecution witness when Ward was charged with living on immoral earnings , as they lived together who's immoral earnings was he accused of living off

Elrel Wed 06-Dec-17 20:48:07

MRD went to school in Solihull. A year or two after she left the head invited her, beautifully turned out and complete with poodle, to appear at a school assembly. She was introduced as an old girl working as a successful model in London and, indeed, a role model for the younger girls to emulate! Presumably at some point later the headteacher ate their words!!

Rosina Wed 06-Dec-17 22:06:52

I saw an interview with CK some years ago; she looked as if life had not been kind to her, and when she spoke of the men who had used her she implied that she was not able to stop what went on. Someone commented today that at nineteen she was stunningly beautiful but had the harsh voice of one who was wearied of life already . Sad way for a woman to live, and her 'fame' did her no good at all. Different story for Mandy Rice Davies it would seem.

Jalima1108 Wed 06-Dec-17 22:27:11

She was a very beautiful young woman who was sadly used by powerful men.
Mandy Rice-Davies was obviously made of stronger stuff.

Very sad
RIP

Anniebach Thu 07-Dec-17 03:20:42

I really cannot accept the claims that all females are victims and all men are guilty of using these innocents .

suzied Thu 07-Dec-17 07:20:04

No one said all women were victims, but in this case who held the power - teenage girls from the sticks or wealthy, middle aged men in high positions in government and aristocracy?

grannypauline Thu 07-Dec-17 11:33:19

My cousin, who sadly died last year, wrote her memoirs and included this paragraph about CK and JP:
"At Monza we got the London papers which were full of the John Profumo/Christine Keeler affair. She’d been my next door neighbour at Fulham Road at the time and luckily I was abroad or I'd have been dragged into all. My friend Peter told me, "your road is getting very famous now and actually it's your next door flat which is famous." It was the first I'd heard of the Christine Keeler scandal.

She was a very normal person and a good friend, who lived next door to my London flat. We used to chat as we put our rubbish out for the dust cart. She wasn’t a prostitute as they labelled her - she had walk on parts in films. From what I know the Russian colonel didn’t ever exist - the whole thing was a fabrication to bring down the Conservative government. Profumo came to see her many evenings and he always moved his large car so I could park outside. I didn't know who he was – he just seemed a considerate older man. When I said I couldn't park my car outside because his was in the way, he replied “I'll leave it down the road. If they steal mine they’ll give me another next day – if they steal yours it’ll be much more complicated.”

mrsmopp Thu 07-Dec-17 16:56:23

I remember it all very clearly and I was a bit naive and shocked at such goings on. Mandy Rice Davies seemed to revel in the publicity and enjoyed all the attention, but Christine seemed more subdued. Mother said they were a pair of brazen hussies!! Hard to believe it was 54 years ago and I can remember it. I can't remember what I did last week!

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:00:49

I really cannot accept the claims that all females are victims and all men are guilty of using these innocents
No, they most certainly are not! Anniebach but I think that in this case it could be true

chickenlegs Fri 08-Dec-17 16:52:47

Andrew Lloyd-Webber put on a musical about Stephen Ward a couple of years ago. It was called Stephen Ward and I saw it three times before it closed about two months after opening. From that, and from what I have read, I believe Stephen Ward was a fall guy, along with CK and MRD. He was a very talented osteopath who treated Winston Churchill on many occasions. He led what you could call a "rickety" lifestyle, but did not deserve his downfall and hounding.

suzied Fri 08-Dec-17 17:12:51

I saw that musical - really enjoyed it, I think it didn't succeed as most young people would never have heard of Stephen Ward and didn't know the story. Perhaps they should rerun it with a different title.

chickenlegs Sun 10-Dec-17 09:08:40

I agree Suzied. The music was great. But it would have to have Alexander Hanson in the lead ;o)

Anniebach Sun 10-Dec-17 09:18:11

Keeler gave evidence against Ward, he was charged with living of immoral earnings , evidence proved she lied in court and she served a prison sentence, she use to live with him. So she too was part of the tragic end of his life.