Gransnet forums

News & politics

Max Clifford

(54 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 10-Dec-17 12:27:50

Max has died in prison, heart attack

RIP

suzied Mon 11-Dec-17 07:32:16

He boasted about his “conquests “, coercing young girls to threesomes in the office etc in his memoirs, some of which was used against him in court. He also boasted about all the lies he peddled in the press, ruining people’s lives, but that’s another issue.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Dec-17 07:57:10

Friday I think you are misreading my post I m in no way defending Clifford at all and as I said my remark was NOT about Max Clifford and his crimes but about cases in general
Yes Suzie many of his stories were completely fabricated and could lead to awful recriminations I believe the ‘I ate a hamster’ was him making it all up a pretty nasty piece of work in general I Just felt sorry for his daughter losing him in prison like that, not for him, but then families become victims too in all this in the quest for power

Iam64 Mon 11-Dec-17 08:24:40

He was a sexual predator, a self confessed liar and according to all the news reports, showed no remorse when convicted of a series of sexual offences.
Nightowl, thanks for printing the information about one of his offences. It's something I read once he'd been convicted, it's stayed with me.
As for accusations that young girls and women get into bed with older men to further their careers, I just don't share that view. It's impossible for me to consider this kind of predatory behaviour without reflecting on personal/professional experience, or on the feminist perspective.

Friday Mon 11-Dec-17 08:40:27

My reply was about cases in general BlueBelle

Anniebach Mon 11-Dec-17 08:42:04

Ah yes the police, well it must all be true, just as the police all said the same thing about the Hillsborough victims. The allegations made by the police then certaintly said the same thing , I don't place a lot of faith in the police, and certaintly not a judge who declares his opinion on allegations in an open court.

Anniebach Mon 11-Dec-17 08:43:57

Iam, showed no remorse has been said about other too, suppose a person is innocent, should they show remorse when they want to appeal?

Iam64 Mon 11-Dec-17 08:46:50

A long trial in which the defendant is properly legally represented gives me confidence that the guilty verdict was correct. The Police who lied about Hillsborough are being brought to trial at last. If they're found guilty Annie, will you struggle to accept that verdict.

Friday Mon 11-Dec-17 08:48:48

When a jury has made its decision and the judge passes sentence it is normal for him or her to make observations on the case. I think one of the observations this judge made was that the sentence was a longer one because a Max Clifford, had actually laughed out loud when his accusers were giving evidence.

Anniebach Mon 11-Dec-17 09:05:10

Does it Iam, like the Birmingham Six, Guildford Four , Cardiff Three and all the others ?

Christinefrance Mon 11-Dec-17 09:06:05

He has died now, I think he was guilty as sin.

Anniebach Mon 11-Dec-17 09:09:08

Yes he is dead, and he had been granted leave to appeal .

Friday Mon 11-Dec-17 09:16:07

grin

eazybee Mon 11-Dec-17 10:39:26

He may have laughed out loud because the allegations were so preposterous. I don't know.
I think I remember that one teenage accuser said he had abused her during a car journey, and had continued to do so on the subsequent fifteen times she had voluntarily accompanied him. That made me suspicious, but as I said previously, I don't know if I remember it correctly.

whitewave Mon 11-Dec-17 11:18:49

Just like Trump, his foul mouth ensured his guilt, as he boasted about what he had done to the girls.

suzied Mon 11-Dec-17 11:52:44

So those girls in Rochdale who returned to their abusers were just asking for it? The fact that they been coerced, manipulated, plied with drink and drugs, money, were often under age and vulnerable makes it all their fault? I can't believe people stick up for a self confessed liar who boasted in his memoirs about how he used his fame/money to persuade young girls to have sex with him and blame the girls.

Anniebach Mon 11-Dec-17 12:07:57

The abused must be upset by his death, they are claiming damages from him.

Bringing the youngsters from Rochdale into this is pointless, were those who claim they were abused by Clifford in care, on drugs ?

humptydumpty Mon 11-Dec-17 12:40:25

Annie if we all took your view there would be no justice in this country, if you can't trust police or judges or juries. Is that what you think?

nightowl Mon 11-Dec-17 13:05:28

I really believed the attitudes to young girls and women being expressed on here had long been rejected amongst women of our generation. It saddens and shocks me that my contemporaries could still blame children and vulnerable women for their own abuse.

Ilovecheese Mon 11-Dec-17 13:12:27

nightowl Me too

maryeliza54 Mon 11-Dec-17 13:34:11

Why ask that question ab - you should look it up rather than post innuendos

Anniebach Mon 11-Dec-17 13:55:28

No humpty it's not what I think, I accept a juries verdict, I accept the sentence a judge hands down, I do not agree with a judge giving his verdict on a matter which has not been tried in a court, the police ? There are good officers but I have campaigned for so many years against miscarriages of justice that I am not able to accept the - all our police are wonderful claim, when they close ranks to cover up their deceit and many have done so .

Ilovecheese Mon 11-Dec-17 14:18:01

The police might well close ranks to save their own reputation. They're not going to close ranks to save Max Clifford's.

Anniebach Mon 11-Dec-17 14:23:35

Save their own reputations? Like they did when one killed Ian Tomlinson and they said he had fallen, if that American had filmed the assault Mr Tomlinson would not have had any justice, was he of the Clifford type?

Anniebach Mon 11-Dec-17 14:24:34

And if they lie what reputation are their saving ?

KatyK Mon 11-Dec-17 14:34:16

Before he was accused of anything, when I saw him on TV he always looked a bit 'creepy'. Yes I know, you can't judge a book by its cover but there was something about him. Just my opinion of course.