Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyns Inertia

(1000 Posts)
Primrose65 Fri 15-Dec-17 20:22:17

A continuation of www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1241620-Corbyns-Momentum

Corbyns unknown peace prize was in the Mail today apparently. He joins a long list of people awarded peace prizes you've never heard of. Like the Confucius Peace Prize won by Mugabe.

MaizieD Fri 15-Dec-17 20:28:01

inews.co.uk/news/judge-corbyn-won-peace-prize-lack-coverage-wasnt-surprising/

Anniebach Fri 15-Dec-17 20:59:37

It is surely a non event if only mentioned twice since it was founded . If it had been in the papers every year but not this year I would think it wrong, but only two mentions ever

Anniebach Fri 15-Dec-17 21:24:23

Rather deflating for them to say they chose more well known people this year because their award doesn't get media coverage

Friday Fri 15-Dec-17 21:26:31

What, s other ‘knock Corbyn’ thread because the other has run out.

Get a life!

lemongrove Fri 15-Dec-17 21:28:29

Like the knock the Tories threads perhaps? wink

lemongrove Fri 15-Dec-17 21:30:16

I have certainly never heard of that prize Primrose ( has anyone?)

Anniebach Fri 15-Dec-17 22:03:19

Knock Corbyn? That is nonsense, it's just discussing a politician, there were certaintly ,threads knocking UKIP leader, forgotten his name ?

jura2 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:06:27

Oh yes, it was very much int he news all over Europe- but somehow, for some strange reasons - forgotten by the UK Press- strange that, hey.

Anniebach Fri 15-Dec-17 22:26:49

Yet the organisers said they don't get publicity .

MaizieD Fri 15-Dec-17 22:36:53

I expect there are lots of prizes being awarded for lots of things that we've never heard of. It doesn't make the intentions of the awarding body invalid and it doesn't make the award invalid or lessen the achievement of the person receiving the award

There's some strange thinking going on on this thread.

Primrose65 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:41:20

When they interviewed a Labour MP about the prize on the Daily Politics, he didn't know that Corbyn had won in September, neither did the Labour Party.
He didn't seem to know that the LP press office would tell journalists about this and issue a press release. He seemed to think the journalists should tell them!

Jura can you post links to any articles in any language from September from the international news that covered it? I don't remember seeing it in Zeit or Le Monde, NY Times or Washington Post. It would be really interesting to read something other than the UK press on this.

minesaprosecco Fri 15-Dec-17 22:41:23

It's an anti Corbyn thread maizie, don't expect any logical thinking.

Primrose65 Fri 15-Dec-17 22:44:58

Yes Maizie that's very true. What is unusual is if you win a prize that is not covered by the press because it's seen as insignificant, you don't moan about it so frequently in public months after it was announced.

It's the moaning about media blackout that's interesting - the award really isn't.

Why now?
Why didn't the LP announce it at the time or on the day he collected it?
It's just a long list of 'whys' as it makes no sense.

Anniebach Sat 16-Dec-17 03:25:03

He couldn't collect it when invited , went in November, well if it's good enough for Dylan and the Nobel Peace Prize grin

Anniebach Sat 16-Dec-17 09:07:28

Wonder if Bruce Kent ever received one from this group

jura2 Sat 16-Dec-17 11:56:26

Primrose, I am helping friends move this week-end (snowing heavily) and I have not the time to scour the papers.

Here is one from Le Temps, in Switzerland- but there are many many more:

www.letemps.ch/opinions/2017/12/.../jeremy-corbyn-prix-determination-coura...

jura2 Sat 16-Dec-17 11:57:12

Sadly, the link does not work for people who are not subscribers, sorry.

jura2 Sat 16-Dec-17 11:59:36

There are also many articles stating that the lack of cover for this Prize in the UK was deliberate and quite shockingly so.

trisher Sat 16-Dec-17 12:18:06

It is now on the Daily Mail On Line www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5182491/Labour-leader-Jeremy-Corbyn-wins-peace-prize.html
Awarded because he did not change his position when he became leader but still said he coudn't push the button.
(I never knew Sean McBride was Maud Gonne's son!)

Anniebach Sat 16-Dec-17 14:19:10

I admire Corbyn for remaining firmly with his views on nuclear warfare, but I think he should never consider being PM, his first duty would be to the country .

Primrose65 Sat 16-Dec-17 14:24:45

Thanks jura I misunderstood what you meant. Yes, it's been reported since the LP kicked up a fuss saying there was 'a media blackout'. But no one reported it at the time - I can read the article but it's also recent.
I thought you meant it was reported everywhere else in September when it was awarded like the LP thought it should be, even though they didn't report it themselves.

Even the organisers complain that they don't get media coverage, so I assumed that would mean across Europe, not just the UK.

Anniebach Sat 16-Dec-17 14:31:59

The Daily Mirror didn't report it

trisher Sat 16-Dec-17 15:21:38

Annie if you can explain to me how a nuclear war would benefit this country and how instigating a nuclear attack and killing thousands more people is the duty of any leader I would like to know.
I suppose you adhere to the Scots version of " Thou shalt not kill"
Feed Ma Lamz

Amyir gaffirz Gaffir. Hark.

nay fornirz ur communists
nay langwij
nay lip
nay laffin ina Sunday
nay g.b.h. (septina war)
nay nooky huntin
nay tea-leaven
nay chanty rasslin
nay nooky huntin nix doar
nur kuvtin their ox

Oaky doaky. Stick way it
- rahl burn thi lohta yiz.

© Tom Leonard,

Friday Sat 16-Dec-17 15:28:19

Surely a PM’s first duty to his country is to ensure the safety of its populace. Anything that makes global nuclear war less likely would be a good place to start.

However, I’m totally convinced that it’s only a matter of time before we do witness the ‘war to end all wars’ and not in a good way. We can’t uninvent the atom bomb (or it’s more lethal modern equivalent) so it’s inevitable that we will destroy our world one day.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion