Gransnet forums

News & politics

MPs vote decisively with the government. No second referendum.

(102 Posts)
Day6 Thu 21-Dec-17 13:09:38

Common sense prevails.

MPs voted decisively 319 to 23 to reject Lib Dem Amendment 120 seeking a referendum on the final Brexit agreement.

Labour were told to abstain but this time Caroline Flint and John Mann were the ones to defy Corbyn and vote with the government against a second referendum. Kate Hoey and Frank Field obeyed their whip and abstained. On the Tory side even veteran Remainer Ken Clarke voted with the government against a second referendum.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Dec-17 08:39:38

True, lemongrove, and this is what we should be looking forward to. But I for one have no confidence whatsoever that any money saved will be used for those purposes. And I don't rate our chances of a stable economy if we end up with a customs post at every border.

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 09:08:18

So lemon is not criticised by Day6 for looking into the future, but remainers are.

All the money was supposed to go to the NHS. Have you forgotten that, lemon?
It was on the side of a bus.

ninny Fri 22-Dec-17 09:09:22

A large proportion of rough sleepers are from the EU shame that we can't deport them back to their own countries. Obviously if our serviceman are sleeping rough they need to be helped.

Welshwife Fri 22-Dec-17 09:32:20

Where did you felt that information ninny? It has been disproven - it us a small proportion and in fact if an EU national is found rough sleeping it us now a reason for deportation.

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 09:38:50

That was another message on the side of a bus, wasn't it?
If you are here illegally go home, or we will deport you.
May in charge of that one.

trisher Fri 22-Dec-17 10:18:57

Day6 wants to know how future generations will be impacted by our exit from the EU. Well for a start anyone involved withthe creative industries will see a massive cut to their funding as we lose access to the EU Creative funding. Creative Europe has a budget of €1.46 billion over seven years,[4] which represents a 9% increase over the previous budget.[2] The programme has set aside funding for 250,000 artists and cultural professionals, 2,000 cinemas, 800 films and 4,500 literary translations,[5]
It is unlikely that any national funding will be made available. So we can look forward to a future dominated by US culture

whitewave Fri 22-Dec-17 10:27:53

I assume day6 was serious when she asked that question?

Anniebach Fri 22-Dec-17 10:29:18

And a Momentum-Corbyn bus would have - if you are here illegally you are most welcome

petra Fri 22-Dec-17 10:52:32

Annie grin

humptydumpty Fri 22-Dec-17 10:53:44

Does it say that in his manifesto, Annie?

ninny Fri 22-Dec-17 10:56:11

It's been ruled unlawful to deport rough sleepers from the UK after a Latvian and 2 Polish men challenged this.

ninny Fri 22-Dec-17 10:59:03

Yes in my opinion EU rough sleepers and illegals should be deported pronto.

mostlyharmless Fri 22-Dec-17 11:57:19

So you're saying rthat any EU legal rough sleeper should be deported? Why is that ninnie?

Primrose65 Fri 22-Dec-17 12:14:17

I wouldn't go down the 'it's in the Labour Manifesto' route as you're on a road to nowhere - they've already voted against one of the manifesto pledges in parliament. confused

suzied Fri 22-Dec-17 13:01:31

You can deport EU nationals after 3 months if they aren’t working under the treaty. Countries such as Belgium have done this rigorously, unlike our government. Rough sleepers aren’t all winos and people with mental
Health problems, some have jobs but can’t afford rents. Homelessness and rough sleepers have increased by over 132% that is something maybe we should be tackling rather than blaming immigrants.

ninny Fri 22-Dec-17 13:28:14

Yes in my opinion any EU or illegal rough sleepers should be deported obviously they haven't got the means to support themselves and it's hardly unlikely that if you were a rough sleeper you could hold down a job. Most EU rough sleepers I have seen have been in London, Eastern Europeans mainly Romanians and all I have ever seen them do is beg. Let them go beg in their own country.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 22-Dec-17 13:47:57

Day6 I see that you do not mention the report by Price Waterhouse Cooper I posted in response to yours. Is that because it does not back up your information?

lemongrove I mentioned the 7 churches because it's relatively recent development in the town. Prior to this year, the Salvation Army and other agencies were just about managing the situation. I actually live 4 miles away from the town, but 4 miles in the other direction is a city where as you say, churches have been involved in supporting the homeless for years. Apart from not having enough space, the problem in both places is finding enough volunteers to help run the services which are active 24 hours a day.

niny stop spreading lies. Immigrants do not make up a large proportion of rough sleepers. If you want to read accurate information then you can here

MaizieD Fri 22-Dec-17 13:57:01

A bit ironic that the government can spend £490 million on changing the colour of UK passports but only give £73 million to local councils to deal with the homeless

The government has promised £73 million to local authorities to meet the new requirements. The code of guidance for local authorities is currently under consultation.

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 15:24:09

Ninny, how can you tell that someone is Romanian just by looking at him?

ninny Fri 22-Dec-17 15:59:29

Wilmyknickersfit get your head out of the sand, most of the rough sleepers I have seen in London are Romanians how do I know I've asked them. Besides begging add shoplifting and pickpocketing. I have even been on a ferry from France and had 2 Eastern European kids hold their hands out begging when I came out of the ladies.

jura2 Fri 22-Dec-17 16:04:24

The Romanians and Bulgarians begging on our street and sleeping rough are very badly treated back home - because they are Romanies/Gipsies - they get beaten and spat at- so badly that sleeping on our streets is better by comparison.

No idea what the solution is - but because of above- we could consider them as refugees, in many ways. No idea what the solution is - but deporting them back to above is hard, very hard.

Day6 Fri 22-Dec-17 16:46:39

Anyone would imagine the problem of rough sleeping is unique to the UK.

I am not quite sure why this thread has become one about rough sleeping but should you try to imagine there is any good in the UK and the majority of us have reasons to be optimistic about the future, jumping in with

people use food banks
people sleep on the streets
only Labour care for the NHS

has become a theme.

It's a sort of virtue signalling now on the politics threads by the left. Whilst rough sleeping and poverty/food banks are real causes of concern, and we should all fight to ensure the NHS remains free to all, always, anyone from another planet looking in would imagine every street in every town in the UK is strewn with people living in a cardboard box or a doorway, that we are all so impoverished we cannot even afford a loaf of bread and that most of us had been denied NHS care because there were padlocks on the doors of GPs surgeries.

They create a worst case scenario every time, as if this were the norm.

Oh and before the usual suspects froth that these are concerns, let me say I know they are. We all do.

However yet another ploy in any government bashing discussion by some posters is to paint as uncaring anyone who doesn't mention the phrase "food bank" at least five times on any thread.

Most of us have decent lives, most of us are grateful for that and most of us really care about others who are not so fortunate. Labour did not eradicate the problems of the poorest when in office from 1997 - 2010.

They did have a policy of open door immigration though (dare I mention it?) and as mentioned, many who sought a life in the UK did end up on the streets. David Blunket famously said there is "no obvious limit" to the number of immigrants who could settle in Britain but added that there needs to be a "balance" between "different forms of entry, migration and residency".

He accepted however that in some parts of the country, local people felt swamped or overwhelmed by new arrivals. But he declined to say how many people he thought Britain could comfortably hold, insisting that it had always been "a crowded, vigorous island".

Asked if there was a maximum population Britain could house, he replied: "I don't think there is." (From the Guardian, not the Heil.)

We live with those problems today. Many who entered the UK, either legally or illegally could not support themselves and depended on the state to put a roof over their heads. This is conveniently forgotten by the left because to mention it as a fact has them 'frothing' (their word) about concerned people being 'racist' or 'xenophobic' when that concern is nothing of the kind.

I've spotted a pattern on these threads. I cannot be the only one.

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 17:11:59

It's a pattern YOU made up, though, Day6.

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 17:15:15

"In the 80s, 'cardboard box cities' were a familiar sight. Over the years, things improved. Homelessness still existed of course, but it was visibly reduced. That is no longer the case. Visit just about any town or city in the country and you will see people sleeping in doorways. Behind shops, on small patches of grass and even on roundabouts people are pitching up tents and sleeping in them. Cardboard box cities have been replaced with tent villages.

This has happened on the Conservatives' watch and it's up to them to deal with it. It's not good enough for the prime minister to shrug off questions by disputing the meaning of homelessness. Whether it's children living in bedsits or vulnerable adults living in tents, homelessness is real and happening all around us."

Morgana Fri 22-Dec-17 17:18:25

Perhaps someone could explain exactly what this government has done to help the poorer sections of society?