Gransnet forums

News & politics

MPs vote decisively with the government. No second referendum.

(101 Posts)
Day6 Thu 21-Dec-17 13:09:38

Common sense prevails.

MPs voted decisively 319 to 23 to reject Lib Dem Amendment 120 seeking a referendum on the final Brexit agreement.

Labour were told to abstain but this time Caroline Flint and John Mann were the ones to defy Corbyn and vote with the government against a second referendum. Kate Hoey and Frank Field obeyed their whip and abstained. On the Tory side even veteran Remainer Ken Clarke voted with the government against a second referendum.

whitewave Thu 21-Dec-17 13:41:09

Good there should never have been a simple yes/no referendum in the first place. Generations of our children are going to have to live with this appalling result of ignorance and prejudice

petra Thu 21-Dec-17 13:42:57

God loves a trier grin

paddyann Thu 21-Dec-17 14:13:06

CLOWNS one and all...and the chief clowns Cameron and Farage who STARTED all this mess have disappeared and WONT suffer from the results.

nigglynellie Thu 21-Dec-17 14:53:26

Ignorance, prejudice, clowns! Usual people spewing the usual insults in their usual tedious way!

Primrose65 Thu 21-Dec-17 14:59:51

To be fair, telling Labour MPs to abstain from the vote is really just telling them to vote in line with their Brexit strategy. Abstention is the hallmark of true leadership grin

Day6 Thu 21-Dec-17 15:55:15

whitewave. Generations of our children are going to have to live with this appalling result

Sigh. Weasel words once again unless you explain exactly HOW (in the future) our children will suffer. Details needed.

Your statement is totally ambiguous whitewave.

There are so many Remainers who claim to KNOW what the future looks like.

ninny Thu 21-Dec-17 16:04:42

Good

jura2 Thu 21-Dec-17 16:10:22

Day6, many of us have been asking YOU, politely, for weeks and months to explain some of your ambiguous, lacking in detail to the point of being totally unsupported by any evidence, anti EU rants- and were told that it is tantamount to bullying...

and you come here with your 'weasel words comment?!? Really- the amazing cheek.

WW has again and again explained why she thinks that way- and many others too. You have not ONCE replied with any evidence to the contrary- ever.

LadyGracie Thu 21-Dec-17 16:14:26

If only we had a crystal ball, we none of us know what is going to happen in the future with any certainty!

lemongrove Thu 21-Dec-17 16:44:05

Good!

Anniebach Thu 21-Dec-17 17:20:58

Can there be evidence of an happening which is yet to be

jura2 Thu 21-Dec-17 18:12:38

plenty of evidence to what is happening right now already.

whitewave Thu 21-Dec-17 18:22:14

It is certainly good lemon

Now Parliament should do what it should have done in the first place and make an informed decision.

Alima Thu 21-Dec-17 18:33:42

Very good news.

Day6 Thu 21-Dec-17 23:44:20

"and were told that it is tantamount to bullying..."

Not by me Jura

I didn't feel bullied. I merely pointed out that was a Remainers tactic - asking for a thesis, almost, to be written to 'prove' whatever was written. It was and remains a favourite ploy of Remainers.

Strange how they panic when the tables are turned, isn't it? grin

Day6 Thu 21-Dec-17 23:50:32

Whitewave wrote - Generations of our children are going to have to live with this appalling result

And she STILL hasn't explained how they'll live, how they'll suffer, how their lives will be blighted. Strange that.

Given we won't be out of the EU for a few years and then have a transitional period after that to endure, I am amazed whitewave claims to know that we will suffer. Sounds a bit like Project Fear has claimed her. Remainers like a bit of doom and gloom.

Wonder if her crystal ball packed up tonight?

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 00:17:09

And still you have not explained how their lives will NOT be blighted.

Day6 Fri 22-Dec-17 03:39:31

Well, that is exactly my point DJ. I can't but only because I cannot see into the future. I am like Remainers in that respect.

I didn't claim anything would be better or worse. All I knew was, I didn't want us paying Brussels vast amounts of money (billions, every single year) to tell us how to live. We are a civilised and tolerant nation, full of wise, compassionate and decent people who are perfectly capable of getting our own house in order. Not only that, we will decide how our money is best spent.

I do not see waving goodbye to Brussels bureaucracy as a loss. I see it as a gain and a move in the right direction, and I sincerely hope the history books, in time, will record it as that.

Day6 Fri 22-Dec-17 03:46:51

Even better news - Forbes says Britain’s business climate remains attractive. The U.K. ranks first for the first time in Forbes’ 12th annual survey of the Best Countries for Business.

First. The UK. Despite the depressing forecasts which were wrong.

Its $2.6 trillion economy is the fifth largest in the world.

We have some way to go and the way we fare after we leave the EU will be telling, but what a great position to be in right now, when we are still in the negotiating stages.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 22-Dec-17 04:37:12

Day6 we haven't left the EU yet? confused hmm

This is the outlook according to PwC

None of these reports help the average man on the street and certainly have no bearing on the lives of the homeless or those using foodbanks. We live in a small 2 and my husband went to the local Salvation Army hostel for the homeless yesterday. He found out that 7 local churches have joined together and open their doors overnight to the homeless. After 3 relatively stable years, the numbers of rough sleepers has dramatically increased. There's now a waiting list for a bed. How does Brexit benefit them?

lemongrove Fri 22-Dec-17 08:20:01

Rough sleeping has increased over the years, but there aere many factors to explain it, increased population numbers, increased drug using and mental health problems.
When we are in the position of not paying billions to the EU we will have more money in the public purse to help anybody who needs it but the majority of rough sleepers have very complex needs which we have to realise can’t always be solved, even with money.

lemongrove Fri 22-Dec-17 08:25:40

I must say too ( the Salvation Army is my favourite charity)
That they, and churches, have been helping the homeless for untold years, whichever Party is in power.
There is a kind of feeling, amongst some people that if Corbyn were PM these problems would be solved.They wouldn't.
There is also the feeling that homeless people and those using food banks make up a large part of the population.They don’t.They must always be thought about abd helped where possible though.

lemongrove Fri 22-Dec-17 08:29:08

The average man on the street ( not living on the street) will be better off in the future if the economy stays stable and the billions not going to the EU is properly used to create social housing, look after social care, particularly for the elderly and those with mental health problems.

Day6 Fri 22-Dec-17 08:35:51

have no bearing on the lives of the homeless or those using foodbanks.

No, Wilmaknickersfit but better we have a good business climate than a poor one with our departure from the EU looming.

Much as I appreciate the problems of rough sleeping and those using foodbanks, which have to be addressed, it isn't really relevant to this thread. This is the "throw in a difficult scenario, and add the NHS for good measure" ploy.

As Lemon says, many people on the streets have complex needs and return to the street frequently after social intervention and aid/advocacy. You know that. It is phenomenon of our times. The reasons why are many and varied but often to do with drug or drink addiction and/or mental health.