Gransnet forums

News & politics

More Brexit lunacy

(1001 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 22-Dec-17 13:50:52

£490 million wasted spent on changing the colour of our passports. Which we could have done at any time in the last 30 years. Burgundy wasn't obligatory; not every EU country has a burgundy passport.

How many more £millions is this futile Brexit exercise going to cost the UK?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-passports-go-back-iconic-11736353

Somewhat ironic that the new blue is very similar to the colour of the EU flag...

lemongrove Fri 22-Dec-17 21:02:57

So hardly ‘lunacy’.....but some people seem to love that word and are loathe to let go of it.

lemongrove Fri 22-Dec-17 21:04:13

Primrose yes, a reasonable cost, so why is anybody getting hot under the collar about it?

Primrose65 Fri 22-Dec-17 21:10:34

I don't know lemon. It was pretty obvious that no one was going to pay that money just to change the colour of the cover.
Now I realise what a great money-making machine passports are for the govt. They charge £72.50 for them, but they pre-pay £7.10 to a company to print them.
I'm sure a few people will be renewing their passport early, just to get a blue one, which is great. Will boost the govts coffers.

Cold Fri 22-Dec-17 21:50:13

Not sure why they have gone for the lighter-blue colour (or EU flag blue as many are calling it). The new ones look very cheap - remind me of my first building society account book

lemongrove Fri 22-Dec-17 21:55:08

It doesn’t look like the EU blue in the pic Cold it looks very similar to the old British passport colour to me.

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Dec-17 21:55:54

I’m looking forward to reverting back to blue, but we’ll just miss out. May not live long enough for the next renewal! Blue is so much classier!

Cold Fri 22-Dec-17 21:57:26

*Now I realise what a great money-making machine passports are for the govt. They charge £72.50 for them, but they pre-pay £7.10 to a company to print them.
I'm sure a few people will be renewing their passport early, just to get a blue one, which is great. Will boost the govts coffers.*

I don't see how it is hugely money making? The printing costs are a fraction of the overall cost. I'm actually surprised is costs them £7 to mass-produce a cardboard covered booklet. Most of the cost in issuing passports is the admin work of checking the form, assessing eligibility, background checks and adding the biometric data that is not included in basic printing etc

lemongrove Fri 22-Dec-17 21:57:33

Hang on in there Nfk tchsmile

Cold Fri 22-Dec-17 22:01:13

It doesn’t look like the EU blue in the pic Cold it looks very similar to the old British passport colour to me.

All the news programmes that I've seen today say that the blue is a fair bit lighter than the old hardback passports. The old-style ones were a very dark navy that looked almost black

Cold Fri 22-Dec-17 22:05:58

Mine is up for renewal in 2019 so I'm not sure which type I'll get. Although I'll probably use my other passport so I can keep going through the EU channel and not have to queue at the non-EU immigration desks

jura2 Fri 22-Dec-17 22:06:13

The point is lemongrove, that we have NEVER had blue passports (some would call it 'Tory blue') - so we are NOT having our blue passports back.

www.facebook.com/scientistsforeu/videos/1224211507680856/

lemongrove Fri 22-Dec-17 22:16:04

The old passports were a dark navy blue jura
Yes Cold the pic shows a lighter version of the old style one, although certainly not the EU bright blue colour.

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 22:22:02

When brexiteers were asked what they wanted to bring back, the blue passport was number two.
Top was hanging.

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 22:24:52

This is Brexit lunacy.

jura2 Fri 22-Dec-17 22:31:41

Did you watch the video I linked lemon - the bue was so dark, it was almost black. Got my OH's right here- not sure where mine is.

dj - yes THAT is lunacy indeed - and the new light blue Tory blue passports do not equal to having 'old dark blue (black passports back'. Not that is has any importance at all- but ...

jura2 Fri 22-Dec-17 22:32:01

Did you watch the video I linked lemon - the bue was so dark, it was almost black. Got my OH's right here- not sure where mine is.

dj - yes THAT is lunacy indeed - and the new light blue Tory blue passports do not equal to having 'old dark blue (black passports back'. Not that is has any importance at all- but ...

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 22:36:03

Waiting for people to say they don't believe it, jura, even though it was a Yougov poll.

Maybe it's the remainers getting their own back, a bit like the Queen's hat.

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 22:36:29

The gold should have a bit more yellow in it.

jura2 Fri 22-Dec-17 22:48:22

I do wonder how many of those who made such a fuss about having dark blue passports back - never actually had one of the Burgundy ones, and never ever intend to go anywhere 'foreign' (Gawd forbid). Skeggy anyone?

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 23:01:02

"On Thursday the Home Office announced the return of the blue British passport, to a chorus of approval from Brexiter newspapers and politicians. The irony is that the UK could have had a blue passport while an EU member. EU member state Croatia currently has a blue passport, after all. In any case – the “iconic” blue passport was imposed from abroad back in 1920 – thanks to the the League of Nations."

Even funnier. The EU says that possession of a blue passport will put UK citizens at the back of the queue.
So I shouldn't hang on if I were you, nfk.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 23:22:23

I'm sure a few people will be renewing their passport early, just to get a blue one, which is great

Well, I am still confused - if mine has to be renewed next year then presumably I will get a bergundy red one which will be valid for 10 years so may never get a blue one.

I don't care really, as long as it is the same size therefore fits into the pocket in the bag I use when travelling.

Tegan2 Fri 22-Dec-17 23:22:30

The way things are going a lot of us won't be able to afford holidays anyway sad...

MaizieD Fri 22-Dec-17 23:35:56

I would imagine that most of the UK population who are under about 35 are distinctly underwhelmed about 'getting back' something they've never had... (and, statistically, they don't want anyway..)

Primrose65 Fri 22-Dec-17 23:44:35

cold I think the biometrics make it more than a cardboard covered booklet. If it was a simple thing to produce, it would be a simple thing to fake.
I think that chart explains why the decision was made Jen - a simple, superficial change that will please millions of people.

durhamjen Fri 22-Dec-17 23:57:49

Sad that people are so superficial and don't think about the costs.
Much rather the money was spent on the NHS.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion