New .years .Honours

(141 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 29-Dec-17 22:50:30

Darcy Bussell. A Dame

Ringo Star. Sir

Barry Gibb. Sir

Nick Clegg. Lord

Anniebach Fri 12-Jan-18 03:30:54

i am not against the honours list, they don't cost us and so many people are happy to receive one for regognition of the Good they do.

Theoddbird Thu 11-Jan-18 23:18:42

Well over a thousand ordinary people were honoured in the New Years Honours. Go look at the list before you moan about the 'famous' ones who made the news broadcasts. The youngest was an 18 year old girl who spends her time raising awareness of transplants having gone through a transplant herself....

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Jan-18 10:44:28

That has left me wondering about the connection between Denmark and elephants
confused

Anniebach Mon 01-Jan-18 10:41:38

I would think Charles has enough knowledge of the commonwealth to know he has no right to believe he will be head .

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Jan-18 01:12:52

CelticRose the Queen, Prince Philip and Prince Charles are all Knights of the Order of the Elephant (Denmark's highest honour). So was Churchill and Prince Albert. No elephants required to join! tchgrin

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Jan-18 01:03:48

CelticRose at school I was taught the Commonwealth's full name was the Commonwealth of Nations, not the British Commonwealth, so I just looked it up and the name changed in 1947.

When the Queen dies her successor as Head of the Commonwealth will be chosen by Commonwealth heads of government because the title is not hereditary. Bet Charles thinks it will be him though! tchgrin

Grandma70s Mon 01-Jan-18 00:55:54

Nigella refused an OBE some years ago, commenting that she was not saving lives or anything.

Honours have also been turned down by Stephen Hawking, Alan Bennet, French and Saunders and numerous other well-known people.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Jan-18 00:30:27

we're = were (autocorrect angry)

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 01-Jan-18 00:29:43

I don't doubt for one minute the only reason honours we're given to members of the 1922 Committee is so it supports TM and doesn't rock the boat. It is bribery at highest level. It 1922 Committee’s Graham Brady is known as the Kingmaker and TM needs him on her side. Plus the leaders of the 1922 Committee voted for Brexit, so TM has to do a good job.

Doversole Sun 31-Dec-17 23:30:37

I looked down the list of honours for my county. There was one scout leader (well deserved I would say), but then a load of OBEs for people who were retiring head teachers in local state schools, and others from HMRC and the DWP. Is a final salary pension not enough reward on retiring I wonder?

Jalima1108 Sun 31-Dec-17 20:23:22

KatyK grin

CelticRose off-piste but did you watch Countryfile this evening? Adam Henson in New Zealand.

Jane10 Sun 31-Dec-17 19:57:39

Well I'd love to be Lady Jane but that ain't going to happen. However, please feel free to curtsey to me whenever we meet. I've been practising my special wave out of the car window to passers by. They do seem rather startled I must say. hmm

BlueBelle Sun 31-Dec-17 19:28:00

No nothing for Mary Berry please or then it will be Paul Hollywood, nigella etc etc
Did anyone’s see Mark Almond who received one his face had been ironed out beyond recognition and why did he get one ???

CelticRose Sun 31-Dec-17 18:41:32

Fresh of the internet... "no Commonwealth country has any political jurisdiction over any other, neither is there any central form of government. Some states retain Queen Elizabeth II as their head of state and she is the head of the Commonwealth. The states are politically and legally independent and can leave the Commonwealth of their own accord. The US has its own Commonwealth States". Apparently, we are now known as a Commonwealth of Nations and not British Commonwealth. I wonder who will take on the title as Head of CofN when the Queen retires. (Zimbabwe, no longer under the rule of Mugabe, has now had the "signal" from the British FO that they can re-join the CofN if they wish.) So. New title? Dame of the Commonwealth of Nations - whoever these nations are now or in the future. Or, as suggested in other posts, just get rid of this outdated ritual.

KatyK Sun 31-Dec-17 18:32:59

Sorry Jalima I must read the whole thread blush

Jalima1108 Sun 31-Dec-17 18:21:09

Of course we are a Commonwealth and more countries are applying to join and have great respect for the Queen.

However, politicians have their own agendas when it comes to trade - I do know what you mean about trade and Australia and NZ have forged stronger trade links with Far East countries.
That has its upsides and downsides too though.

CelticRose Sun 31-Dec-17 18:14:11

I didn't know that the EU allowed us to be a Commonwealth anymore. My friends in New Zealand and Canada were devastated when GB joined the EU - they had to find other countries to trade with virtually overnight once the treaty had been signed.

Jalima1108 Sun 31-Dec-17 17:59:31

CelticRose I don't think we give out honours to people in the EU, but we do give honours to members of the Commonwealth, so why EU and not Commonwealth?

No, there is no need to curtsey to anyone

I'm sure if I am wrong someone will correct me grin

Anniebach Sun 31-Dec-17 16:51:17

Didn't know one curtsied to a Sir , and a curtsy to queenie is not required

CelticRose Sun 31-Dec-17 16:27:15

Jalima1108 Neither Commonwealth nor Empire - just plain old EU.

CelticRose Sun 31-Dec-17 16:23:20

The pic of Andy Murray hanging his gong around the neck of his dog was funny though. But, again, agree with all posts that system is outdated and seemingly unjust. I cannot even begin to think why the Emir of Qatar's mother was given the title of Honorary Dame Commander of the British Empire - to mention but one foreigner. I don't think it is just this country though having seen some of the "awards" given by other countries. Doesn't Philip hold the Danish title "Master of Elephants", or something? You couldn't make this up even in Game of Thrones - or could you!

Jalima1108 Sun 31-Dec-17 15:18:24

ploughshares?

durhamjen Sun 31-Dec-17 15:17:15

They can always melt them down and turn them into something useful.

Jalima1108 Sun 31-Dec-17 15:08:37

My knees would give out if I tried to curtsey!

I am in favour of the monarchy because I think it's the most pragmatic system and apolitical.

However, yes, perhaps the name of the honours should be changed - even if it was just tweeked to MBC or OBC - Commonwealth instead of Empire.
Then again, perhaps they bought a job lot of medals umpteen years ago and need to use them up first.

paddyann Sun 31-Dec-17 14:39:00

yes I will Jalima but while it is here it should be a fair system.....although in MY opinion it is a medieval one and not relevant in the 21st century.Like the Queen ...when she dies the monarchy should die with her .Can I stress I have no issue with people being awarded police medals etc for their WORK .or business awards , but Knighthoods etc are divisive ...thats what they were meant to be..they give some an air of superiority unjustifiably .,but then I wouldn't bow or curtsy to ANYONE .So maybe I'm a minority on here where so many are fans of Lizzie and "empire" medals etc