Gransnet forums

News & politics

Would anyone of sound mind refer to themselves as "a genius"

(81 Posts)
phoenix Sat 06-Jan-18 18:08:14

Trump. (BTW, that was an indication, not an instruction to any that might use that word for fart.)

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 08-Jan-18 14:01:07

That's brilliant.

MawBroon Mon 08-Jan-18 12:02:08

From today’s DT Lettersv column:

Perhaps, by Schopenhauer’s definition, Mr Trump’s self-declaration is correct: “Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see

MawBroon Mon 08-Jan-18 11:47:57

They say there can be a very fine line between genius and insanity though, don’t they? (Not saying which side of the line,,,,,,]
grin

MaizieD Mon 08-Jan-18 10:54:08

Well, he's looking very like a genius - he plays golf all day and tweets all night and the USA is still functioning wink

mcem Mon 08-Jan-18 10:49:29

But don't we all find it reassuring that his ardent supporters are so well-informed and balanced?
Almost geniuses themselves!

MawBroon Mon 08-Jan-18 09:49:04

Could indeed Blue Belle ???????

BlueBelle Mon 08-Jan-18 09:38:23

Sorry YEAR well it could be tear r

BlueBelle Mon 08-Jan-18 09:37:53

Vange you are a true comedian He’s steadily and quietly going about his business
The statement of the tear ????

MawBroon Mon 08-Jan-18 09:24:11

Thank you Pollyperkins!
Sarahhelenwhitney you did at least give me a laugh this morning when you asserted that Bush Jnr was “Mr Democrat himself”.gringrin
As he might have said, not being the sharpest knife in the drawer himself, “ don’t misunderestimate me!” grin

OldMeg Mon 08-Jan-18 08:30:15

Some of the pro-Trump posts on here provide an insight into those who continue to support Trump in the US despite the evidence, and ths is just as scary as Trump himself.

mcem Mon 08-Jan-18 08:30:01

If we are all being accused of criticising only white idiots for the sake of political correctness, how does quizqueen explain criticism of Mugabe ( or Amin ) etc ??
Ah but of course UKIP supporters don't do compromise do they?
Everything is seen in black and white literally and metaphorically!

Juggernaut Mon 08-Jan-18 08:23:27

Eloethan
As 'Quizqueen’ is a member of UKIP, maybe we shouldn't be surprised at what appears to be a racist attitude!

mcem Mon 08-Jan-18 08:14:18

A tiny glimmer of optimism as North and South Korea took a step towards talking about the upcoming games.
What did Trump do?
First shouted loudly about his big button when he could simply have ignored Kim's posturing.
Second declared that the talks wouldn't be happening without his firm stand.
Couldn't he see that this was one of those times to just shut up?

Nelliemoser Mon 08-Jan-18 08:14:15

Everything Trump says shows him as a spoiled toddler having a tantrum.
He is a narcissist, you just have to listen to any of his rants to get the measure of him. His rants are totally out of control and talks absolute bull shit. It's me me with him.

You cannot even compare him with Churchill. Churchill was a drinker and depressive but he was a brilliant leader in terms of keeping the morale of the public up in some terrible times and that was vitally important.
I am certainly not a particular fan of Churchill .

maddy629 Mon 08-Jan-18 07:06:31

quizqueen I do not care whether Trump is black, white or covered in sky blue dots. You voted for him? More fool you. I fear for the world while he is resident in the White House.

Tegan2 Mon 08-Jan-18 00:36:08

Yes; the S.O. saw the programme about the things Trump had done in Scotland and was fearful of him because of that. Wasn't there one man in particular that he victimised because he wouldn't sell him his land [or something like that]?

Caledonai14 Sun 07-Jan-18 23:46:10

Long before Mr Trump even thought of running for president, we had some problems with him here in Scotland ... mainly concerning unfulfilled promises, picking on neighbours and difficulty recognising the public's Right to Roam round the edges of his golf course at Menie. He also "stabilised" the dunes on a Site of Special Scientific Interest and funded campaigns against windfarms because he was upset that an offshore one could be seen from the course. 6,000 promised jobs turned into 200 and women needing to pee while walking in the wild sand dunes of the beach next to his golf course should note security people may film and try to prosecute (this only happened once, but it was scary). I am ashamed that he is half Scottish, but very proud of the Scottish Government for sacking him as a global trade ambassador. Unfortunately, as he did not follow the lead of every other US president by putting his businesses into trust during his term of office, there has not really been a reprieve and even if he gets chucked out tomorrow we will still have to deal with him and all his quirks.

Eloethan Sun 07-Jan-18 22:58:53

To the person who felt Mr Trump would not attract all the criticism he does if he were black, I feel quite sure that he would. I would certainly be every bit as critical of any ignorant bully - whatever their colour or gender might be.

Isn't it interesting that criticism of Trump has been seized as an opportunity to make what I believe is quite a racist remark.

MawBroon Sun 07-Jan-18 22:27:45

Vange are you for real? gringrin
However the Donald must be grateful to have supporters such as yourself hmm

WilmaKnickersfit Sun 07-Jan-18 22:21:17

varian my real name is Katie Hopkins and I do work for Fox sometimes, but I am trying to settle into my new job writing my very own column on my very own website called Hopkins World for the Canadian alt-right wing media organisation The Rebel. Who needs the Daily Mail when I can have coffee with my old mate Tommy Robinson?!

W11girl Sun 07-Jan-18 20:43:20

Listening to a New York journalist yesterday who is on Trumps "case"...he likened him to the Emperors New Clothes, in that one day the people who voted for him will see he's not wearing any! Very well put, I thought.

petra Sun 07-Jan-18 20:25:57

Lemon
Very good grin

whitewave Sun 07-Jan-18 18:14:36

vange grin

lemongrove Sun 07-Jan-18 18:10:34

Vy vould you sink dat varian ve are only saying ze truth!

varian Sun 07-Jan-18 17:50:12

I do sometimes wonder whether some posters on GN are Americans, Russians or employees of Fox News.