Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corbyns Torque

(1001 Posts)
Primrose65 Tue 09-Jan-18 12:00:05

A continuation of Momentum and Intertia

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1243288-Corbyns-Inertia

Anniebach Tue 09-Jan-18 20:15:22

Varian, it was the promise of free student fees then joining with the tories which caused the decline of the .libs , many saw this as a betrayal

Jalima1108 Tue 09-Jan-18 20:17:56

Yes, then Tim whom I thought would be a breath of fresh air but failed to inspire me.

jura2 Tue 09-Jan-18 21:32:14

Anniebach - time to stop living in the past - onwards and forwards. Varian is right.

Anniebach Tue 09-Jan-18 21:47:34

Jura, would you try harder to remember the topic of this thread, it is not me

Post not poster

Anniebach Tue 09-Jan-18 21:50:22

Was there not a post claiming this thread was too pathetic to comment on ?

Day6 Tue 09-Jan-18 21:57:49

Why is a staunch Labour supporter like Annie "living in the past" Jura ? She is living with the destruction of the Labour party at the hands of Momentum. It's on-going.

Interesting article here written as Momentum emerged in 2015 which claims Momentum is Militant in disguise, a parallel organisation within a party and Corbyn was criticised for endorsing it. For members "you pays yer money and takes your pseudo-Marxist militant faction."

"Jeremy Corbyn now has his own Praetorian Guard inside the Labour Party
The new 'Momentum' group is just Militant in disguise. You'd better be on your best behaviour, comrade"

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11922468/Momentum-Jeremy-Corbyns-militant-Praetorian-Guard-inside-the-Labour-Party.html

Anniebach Tue 09-Jan-18 22:38:13

Obvious at the Labour Party conference last year, the Communists were with .Momentum at their hall just down the road from the conference proper, Corbyn made speeches at the Momentum hall and for the leaders speech the centre left MP's were unable to have seats in the conference hall, to see Yvette Cooper standing at the back was a disgrace but showed the power on .Momentum.

I will stay with the party as long as certain MP's are not deselected , I will not name them but there are quite a few in danger and all good labour MP's

Primrose65 Tue 09-Jan-18 23:28:53

That's a very prescient article Day6!

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 10-Jan-18 00:21:53

That's what I thought Primrose, what's the point of bringing up an article that's over two years old? I can understand if it was October 2017, but 2015?hmm

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 10-Jan-18 00:28:27

Try this article from yesterday's Independent instead -

Corbyn's transformation of the Labour Party

It discusses a similar subject, but with a different view point.

Primrose65 Wed 10-Jan-18 09:43:39

It seems that Jon Lansman is closing down Momentum Youth - too much bullying on social media. The London group has renamed itself London Young Left. Not sure what's happening to others.

Those who thought Momentum didn't bully should perhaps reassess their opinion in the light of new evidence.

Anniebach Wed 10-Jan-18 10:00:57

Dear Comrades !

Expect the bullying will still continue and will still be defended

Primrose65 Wed 10-Jan-18 10:11:20

The language is very telling Annie. I rather liked 'liberation networks' instead of 'groups'.

It's OK Jon, I don't need Momentum thugs to liberate me from anything at all.

It's quite clear that Lansman owns the Momentum brand.
He decides if you're Momentum or not.
He decides if there's a Momentum Grannies Group or not. (He's missed that one off the list! grin)
It's nothing to do with a grassroots movement all about JC, it's his personal political army.
NEC voting closes next week. I'm sure he'll win his place comfortably, then the real fun will begin.

Anniebach Wed 10-Jan-18 10:11:51

Chuka Umunna on the news now, he wants Corbyn to speak out in favour of keeping the single market.

PMQ today Comrade Corbyn is again ignoring any questions on brexit , seems he has forgotten all about it.

Jalima1108 Wed 10-Jan-18 10:48:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jalima1108 Wed 10-Jan-18 10:53:31

When, oh when, will all right-minded, fair, non-mysogynistic, hard-working Labour MPs rise up against this group controlled by this individual?

Anniebach Wed 10-Jan-18 13:57:55

Because he will have them deselected Jalima, momentum has some control of the NEC and he will be voted onto it this week so he will have total control.

There are some really good MP's on his hit list , there is no Labour Party

Day6 Wed 10-Jan-18 14:26:27

And the sad thing is there is a huge swathe of young Labour supporters who see Corbyn as a messiah. It's cult-like and the chances are they haven't done their history as far as Militant is concerned.

Moderate Labour MPs have to shut up right now rather than go out on a limb and talk about how the party is truly fractured. They fear for their careers in speaking out I'd imagine.

Primrose65 Wed 10-Jan-18 14:27:08

I think it's pretty cynical of Lansman after they've all voted for him for his NEC nomination. I suppose it gives the under 30's an idea of what their real value was/is - fodder for the Lansman machine. It will be interesting to see what happens to the feted 'youth activism' in Momentum now.

I still doubt that Corbyn has any influence over Momentum. This is all about Lansman getting the power he wants in the LP.

I agree that MPs really cannot do much about this now. The votes have been cast and Lansman will get an official seat at the table. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a huge amount of turmoil in the LP this year, as JL starts waving his Momentum stick around.

Day6 Wed 10-Jan-18 14:27:22

history homework

Day6 Wed 10-Jan-18 14:31:47

Corbyn endorsed Momentum however, and yes Primrose, Lansman has been very clever at getting his Momentum feet under the official Labour Party table.

Anniebach Wed 10-Jan-18 14:54:22

Lansman tried to get Benn voted in as deputy leader, he has waited, planned and plotted a long time.

Corbyn has always wanted a militant party , he worked and schemed against Kinnock who in fairness did much to move the party out of the clutches of the militants .

Quite easy to see the way the party is being taken by the posts of far left supporters , only the far left and the naive young think Corbyn will make a good PM, he even has his questions written out for PMQ, , when making a statement yes, but asking questions !

Anniebach Thu 11-Jan-18 16:12:09

Chris Williamson, shadow fire minister has resigned, he wants to campaign on a broader range of issues. He was only appointed to the front bench last .july.

Primrose65 Thu 11-Jan-18 18:44:45

I imagine there's more to this than meets the eye Annie. Perhaps he's the next leader of the party and it's really Corbyn on the way to the back benches.

(Places tinfoil hat on head) grin

Tegan2 Thu 11-Jan-18 18:59:26

It happened after he said that Labour were going to double council tax on more expensive homes. I seem to remember voicing my concerns recently [I think it was on here; it might have been facebook] that he wanted to increase council tax upwards the band that my house is on and that I really couldn't afford for that to happen. Was only discussing something with him on facebook 2 days ago [think it was about wanting a clearer comment about Labours brexit policy].

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion