Gransnet forums

News & politics

Fitbit are they worth it

(46 Posts)
ruthiek Sat 13-Jan-18 16:32:28

I am trying to lose pounds and I keep being told I need a Fitbit but do I really ? I don’t walk enough - but I know that!! So what did all think , would be grateful for your advice

mollie Sat 13-Jan-18 16:44:20

No. They don’t help. Useful for tracking steps but they aren’t exact and there are just as useful free apps for mobiles. We’ve had couple and they kept us on our toes (challenge to hit the target) but didn’t really help with weight loss.

glammanana Sat 13-Jan-18 16:52:16

Waste of money imo DIL suggested Itry one but after seeing no change in her weight loss plan I decided against it,I have since gone on to loose 2st since November with out the cost of buying a fitbit.

Primrose65 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:12:17

It depends.
Everything fitness related has a 'you can do it yourself for free' alternative. Fitbits, gym visits, slimming clubs are all examples where people pay, for a variety of reasons, to help them reach a goal.
If you're losing weight anyway on your own, then probably not.
If you enjoy a bit of online encouragement, like hitting targets, want a measure of how much better/worse you are doing, want to share your activities with family/friends and be encouraged by them too, then it will probably help.
I have a Blaze and the Aria scales, have worn a Fitbit for a few years now, and I love it.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 13-Jan-18 17:18:26

I love mine! I find it hugely motivating as I have a list of friends all linked and we constantly vie to get the most steps. I have had mine for 3.5 years, walked over 10,000km since I got it and my mindset re walking everywhere I can rather than jumping in the car has permanently changed. But like everything, just because it suits one person doesn't mean it will suit everyone and certainly it only helps as part of a weight loss plan combined with cutting calories and adding in some other exercise too (at least this is the experience of people I know) I have a teeny tiny Zip (worn in pocket or on clip rather than wrist)

Coolgran65 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:55:50

My friend was bought a fitbit for Christmas, she sold it and bought in the sales a leather purse and a leather handbag.

My dh was bought one last Christmas, he wore it for a month and since then it has been lying in a drawer.

Enough said.....

Iam64 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:39:00

I was given one for Christmas, I love it. I counts my steps, tracks my sleep and my heart rate. I have various tedious health problems and find the Fitbit not only encourages me to hit my step target of 10,000 a day but is also reassuring about my heart rate.

Purpledaffodil Sat 13-Jan-18 19:48:18

I’ve had mine for a year and do find it encourages me to move more than I otherwise might.
A less obvious advantage is the fact that it vibrates when my mobile phone is ringing. Useful when phone is on silent or I am in a noisy place.
Was reading on Money Saving Expert that Martin Lewis regularly walks 25,000 steps a day encouraged by the statistics on his Fitbit. Must admit I haven’t ever reached these giddy heights and would want more than a target celebrating electronic firework display on my wrist if I did. grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 14-Jan-18 08:38:04

It seems they are very Marmite - love or hate! I like not having mine on my wrist but it is firmly in my heart grin

Managed 22,000 twice this week but foresee this being a lazy day

OldMeg Sun 14-Jan-18 08:58:56

Yes, they are. Just buy the cheapest one that clips onto your waistband and check your steps a couple of times a day.

They are a real eye opener.

OldMeg Sun 14-Jan-18 09:02:06

Anyway don’t think about it in terms of just losing weight. It’s about keeping active, use it or lose it is very true.

You are better being overweight and fit than slim and unfit, research shows.

Disgruntled Sun 14-Jan-18 09:13:35

A friend of mine had one and decided that it gave him a pain in his arm, so he ditched it.

Lindajane Sun 14-Jan-18 09:20:50

Love mine, I’m on my third one!
It does basic time telling, but I find it motivates me to move more.

2mason16 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:24:16

Just got one today with Christmas gift store vouchers! Just waiting to see grand-daughter tommorow to help switch on - can't wait to get started. I used my grandsons over Christmas and it certainly motivated me.

NotAGran55 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:40:21

It's one of the best things I have ever owned . It's transformed my attitude towards exercise and I wouldn't be without it . It's so inspiring to get up and move . Even dull jobs such as running up the stairs to put the ironing away become interesting as the step and stair counts rise .
I average 18000 steps a day and have done 30000 + a few times on holiday . There is no way I would be inspired to do this without the fit bit .

Jane10 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:46:39

My friend was given one by her DH. She wasn't impressed- but he was by her remarkable progress. One day she'll tell him that she attaches it to the dogs collar when he goes out!!

Alidoll Sun 14-Jan-18 09:46:46

I bought one in the Black Friday sale to track sleep (I’ve had bad insomnia in the past and wanted to see how much sleep I really got each night).

One thing is has shown is when I’m not feeling well - my heart rate increases quite drammically. Resting HR is normally about 61bpm but rises quickly to mid 90s if I’m coming down with a cold.

ATM I’m battling a nasty virus. Started last Monday afternoon (heart rate started to rise from about midday but sore throat didn’t kick into full force till later that night. Tuesday morning HR spiked at over 107bpm and felt awful.

Been in bed most of the week and resting HR today is 79bpm and still feeling terrible. Due to go back to work tomorrow as unlikely to get a GP appt so will stay in bed again today!?

It’s also linked to my mobile so buzzes on my wrist if I get a text message or call which is handy as can see who it is and if I need to answer without having to find my mobile if it’s in my bag lol!

Sleep monitor isn’t bad (though says I’m in light sleep when I know I’m awake as checked the time on the alarm clock).

Don’t really use it for exercise goals - though am trying to walk more and it’s nice when I get a “badge” for walking a decent amount that day / week.

Drawbacks - I’ve very slim wrists and even with the HR Alta small, it still looks like a half brick on my arm. It’s also uncomfortable if I’m wearing a jacket with a knitted wrist area and the battery life is pretty rubbish (about 4 days before having to recharge again).

On the whole though it’s good. It won’t make you Moe Farrah but might motivate you to walk a bit more each day. So, if you’ve got the money, why not.

Omaoma57 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:52:02

A friend was given one by her family to motivate her to walk and exercise more! She puts in on the dog! LOL

Witzend Sun 14-Jan-18 10:29:41

Mine packed up a while ago - it was a present- and I haven't bothered to fix or get another. However it was v useful for showing just how many steps I did in a normal day anyway, never mind for how many on a day out in London.

I think it did make me make an effort to walk more, and I still do, so yes, I do think they're worth it.

LongHaulGran Sun 14-Jan-18 10:33:00

I have a small (to me, and mostly annoying more than anything else) heart condition so have to exercise regularly to keep weight off. I own several pieces of home gym equipment that is actually used so when the FitBit craze started I thought it too might be something right up my street.

My son loves gadgets (he gets that from his mum, actually grin ) and he gave me one a few years ago. I used it for about a week (owing to my own love of gadgets) but found it too fiddly and gave it to a friend - who gave it to a friend after about a week, who gave it...

My fitness gadget now? A digital pedometer - turn it on with a simple tap, drop it in a pocket close to my hip/upper thigh, and off I go.

GrandmaMoira Sun 14-Jan-18 10:42:57

I have a basic pedometer which helps if you just want to be more active and reach the 10,000 steps a day target. I did the steps for a couple of years but have lapsed now. The Fitbit does a lot more but costs a lot more.

Candelle Sun 14-Jan-18 10:46:09

I did use an 'Up' (a gift when daughters keen to encourage their mother to move more!) but the strap and with it, the gizmo, died.

I was keen on the sleep-monitoring function, too but it definitely told me I was asleep when I was sitting in bed reading, so they are not able to be 100% accurate.

I have just been bought another, cheaper version and it was sync-ed yesterday, so I'll see how this one fares.

As I am unwell at the moment and can only shuffle around, it will have to wait until I pick up to see if if can raise my step count again.

I think these gizmos are a useful adjunct to but will not replace a normal healthy lifestyle. Let's face it, we KNOW what we should be doing!!!

Aepgirl Sun 14-Jan-18 10:53:05

I have friends who regularly walk together, both have these gizmos, and both get different readings on the same walk. Enough said.

NemosMum Sun 14-Jan-18 11:34:42

I love my FitBit Cardio. I've had it for almost 3 years and it has definitely helped me do more steps. Have been having chemo for B.C. since beginning of September and it has been very good at tracking my wellness in each cycle. Due surgery tomorrow and I feel sure it will help me get myself back to fitness. I would not be without it now.

Sheilasue Sun 14-Jan-18 11:43:33

Just started my healthy eating programme. No I don’t want a fit bit. I am 72 and though i keep fit. I don’t think It would be any good for me. My d has one she goes to the gym so she uses hers.
Just exercise and housework keeps me fit and a energetic 17 year old grandaughter.