Gransnet forums

News & politics

Fitbit are they worth it

(47 Posts)
ruthiek Sat 13-Jan-18 16:32:28

I am trying to lose pounds and I keep being told I need a Fitbit but do I really ? I don’t walk enough - but I know that!! So what did all think , would be grateful for your advice

goldengirl Sun 14-Jan-18 12:18:55

Not my thing at all. DH and the rest of the family are very keen. DH bought me one for Christmas - it's waterproof as I swim a lot - but it's still in its box. I exercise to suit me and don't need to be pushed to feeling guilty if I do 9,999 steps instead of 10,000!!!

Ruby41 Sun 14-Jan-18 13:14:12

I find my Fitbit (quite basic model) really motivating as far as walking is concerned, but not specifically to lose weight, more to be active in the (rather too) fresh air - I don't beat myself up if I don't get to the 10k threshold though, particularly in the winter months.

Juggernaut Sun 14-Jan-18 13:26:50

I have a Fitbit, I've had it about three years and it now lives in a crystal bowl in the dining room! I occasionally give it an outing, but it's rare!
However, I'm getting really fed up with people asking me what make my 'tracker' is, as they've "never seen one like that before". That would be because it's not a tracker at all, it's an all black (strap, face etc) ceramic watch!

Ramblingrose22 Sun 14-Jan-18 14:08:23

Can anyone recommend a good and accurate pedometer please?

If it's an app, I have an Android mobile phone.

Also, does anyone use a sleep monitor without going to teh trouble of getting a Fitbit?

Liz46 Sun 14-Jan-18 14:18:09

My husband bought one and finds it a waste of time. We prefer to go on a walk that we enjoy, next to the river and walk briskly for half an hour several times a week. Can you find a walking companion ruthiec? In our area, there are organised walks that you can join if you fancy.

allule Sun 14-Jan-18 14:23:43

We get extra visitors because of fitbits. Most of the younger family members have them, and when they are looking for extra steps to reach their targets, Mum's house is often just the right distance. smile

Rosina Sun 14-Jan-18 14:39:07

Our immediate family decided to get fit last Christmas; four of us got a Fitbit. Only one of us still has it as the other three had to send them back as they kept giving silly readings or broke down completely. How about a pedometer?

Victoria08 Sun 14-Jan-18 15:00:14

I am 72 and keep fit running around after my 2year old grandson.

Also, regular yoga sessions.
I don't need a Fitbit thank you.

castle Sun 14-Jan-18 15:07:32

I feel mine definitely makes me walk more and find it interesting to see what my sleep pattern is also my heart rate. I found after a walk with my three friends that we all had different readings but i think I just want to get the steps that i am supposed to do. It makes no difference to my weight but I hope i am fitter.

GrammaH Sun 14-Jan-18 16:35:03

Often thought about them but always been put off by the fact the people I know who own one are complete slaves to it. Panic ensues if it's evening & they're a thousand steps short, & those who have one & work with others have turned fiercely competitive- who's done the most steps today. Who cares? Don't fancy joining that club, I know if I've done enough exercise or not, don't need some gadget telling me!

marionk Sun 14-Jan-18 16:44:31

There have been some articles in the national press underlining how inaccurate they are - mine languishes in a drawer as it kept getting caught on my sleeves as well as giving me such vastly differing readings that I gave up

durhamjen Sun 14-Jan-18 17:12:52

Not everyone who owns one is a slave to it.
I was surprised to hear that someone who had played five a side football for over an hour had only done 3000 steps that day.
Then I was told she took her watch off so it didn't get damaged. Apparently they all do in the team.

W11girl Sun 14-Jan-18 21:38:56

You do not need a fit bit! Good balanced meals and exercise that’s all. I lost my desired 21 pounds purely by eating the right things and doing housework (lots of exercise doing that!). Depends on your metabolism. Read up on the internet about metabolism and take it from there.

durhamjen Sun 14-Jan-18 22:10:31

One person's balanced meal is not the same as someone else's balanced meal.

Laine21 Sun 14-Jan-18 23:34:51

I like mine, having fibro some days I wasn't upto the 10,000 standard steps, so I lowered the target while I got fitter and could cope with walking more.
the heart rate feature was a real surprise! when I'm driving mine goes up by over 30! but after a nasty car accident when my car was flipped by a speeding driver I guess the PTSD kicks in now and then! so now I try and relax more in the car, i do check it, and if the heart rate is climbing i make an effort to listen to more relaxing music, press the button to go to cd instead of the radio. I also try to avoid the busy rush hour, its has helped me to make a concerted effort to reduce the stress in my life. mine was worth every penny.

Iam64 Mon 15-Jan-18 07:08:23

Laine21, I agree about the heart rate feature being useful. I don't see how those of us who enjoy our fitbits can be seen as 'in thrall' to a gadget.

Mercedes55 Mon 15-Jan-18 13:28:51

I've had one for a couple of years and upgraded from the Alta to the AltaHR recently and gave my old one to OH. I think they are great, they may not be entirely accurate regarding steps but I'm sure they give you a general idea of how active you have been.
It has definitely made me more aware of how inactive I used to be!

Craicon Mon 15-Jan-18 14:05:29

I love love mine!
I bought it last January and since then, I’ve lost 2 stones, toned up, got a bike, joined our local Parkrun and made some new friends. (One of the Parkrun ladies is in her 70’s, with 2 replacement knees and still manages to run it.)
It’s been a real life saver for me.
I like having links with other friends as it pushes me to do that bit more, some days.
The step count is set for an average pace (obviously) but you can easily adjust it to fit your own pace via the app.

shysal Mon 15-Jan-18 14:23:43

Ramblingrose, I use a reliable basic Tanita 3-axes pedometer which fits in a pocket, bag or around neck. It tells me all I need to know, and I know it is accurate to the step because I have counted blush. It has even survived a couple of washing machine cycles! They are under £20 on Ebay.
I am afraid I can't be bothered with fiddling about with anything complicated.

Saggi Mon 15-Jan-18 15:19:26

Ruthie you don’t need a Fitbit just a pedometer, you clip it to your waistband and it counts your steps/miles walked. I’ve got one and it sort of inspires you to keep walking . I do about 4/5 miles most days, and swim just 2 miles a week.But that alone has let me drop half stone in 4 months , not much I know but encouraging and no diet!!

123kitty Mon 15-Jan-18 16:10:46

Fit it won't actually suck the fat out of you and make you slimmer- it's more to encourage you to get you active. Set yourself an easy target to start, as the recommended 10000 is a lot, and just keep increasing your steps every couple of days. I find without my fitbit I try to kid myself I've walked miles (weak willed obviously)