Gransnet forums

News & politics

I have tried to contact HQ regarding this fora. Cant access

(164 Posts)
jollyg Thu 18-Jan-18 14:59:32

I

I find it extremely stupid to include news and politics in on thread.

Sorry they are not good bedfellows.

Politics here seems to bring on ranters, and cut and pasters, not quite what news is about.

Let those who complain vociferously do so please, but NEWS is a different subject where we can all discuss amicably

maryeliza54 Fri 19-Jan-18 11:11:44

And Miss how would you stop a political debate from developing about some topic on the News board? I just can’t figure that out - unless it’s to stifle and censor debate

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jan-18 11:14:31

How on earth do you imagine I would be able to stop it?

MaizieD Fri 19-Jan-18 11:19:15

How on earth do you imagine I would be able to stop it?

I think the whole point is that, whatever a forum was called no-one would be able to stop a thread developing into a political debate.

And it's pretty difficult to determine just what is 'political' and what isn't.

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jan-18 11:22:52

Yes, I realise that. Its just that when I chat my real life friends, we don't always want to spend the time debating furiously. Others may feel differently, of course.

Elegran Fri 19-Jan-18 11:23:58

Robust debate is robust debate, and those who enter into it will continue to use it and enjoy it. However, assuming that anyone who speaks to them also wants a robust debate is enrolling them in a confrontation they may not have intended. There is assertive and there is aggressive, and one shades into the other.

I don't think there is any meeting ground between the two views on this subject, but it has had a good airing. Well done JollyG for starting the thread.

maryeliza54 Fri 19-Jan-18 11:51:18

Actually the OP was a very good example of being very aggressive and confrontational

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jan-18 11:52:57

I've seen worse.. grin

Eloethan Fri 19-Jan-18 11:55:43

It strikes me as a rather petty complaint - and, as others have said, most news has a political aspect to it.

But if most people feel it is essential to separate the two, I don't really care because in my view many news items will be found to have a political dimension and will elicit political discussion anyway.

maryeliza54 Fri 19-Jan-18 12:00:08

I feel the same Eloe it won’t stop what the OP and others want to stop anyway. And do HQ listen either way - what happened to the issue of being able to name change?

durhamjen Fri 19-Jan-18 17:45:17

No mention, Elegran, of those on the left being called Marxists and communists when they obviously aren't?
It's not all one way, you know.

Perhaps the majority who don't go on news and politics threads do not want to discuss news and politics. Have you thought of that?

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 17:48:11

I do have a feeling of déjà vu, I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't remember what the consensus of opinion was.

durhamjen Fri 19-Jan-18 17:48:36

By the way, jollyg, being pedantic, this is a forum. Fora is plural, so you cannot say this fora.
Don't know if anyone's said it before on the thread.

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 17:51:34

I was trying not to ....

durhamjen Fri 19-Jan-18 18:10:52

Well, as I am obviously being lambasted for wanting to make news political, I thought I might as well make it worthwhile.

suzied Fri 19-Jan-18 18:17:26

Who decides whether a topic or comment is political or not? Let’s face it, many of us don’t read the title of the forum a thread is on anyway.

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 19:13:24

Go and sit in pedant's corner.

Sorry - Pedants' Corner.

Jalima1108 Fri 19-Jan-18 19:14:42

Actually, I don't suzied, occasionally I may check afterwards but that is not often.

mrsmopp Thu 25-Jan-18 11:41:16

Another example of inappropriate lumping together of different issues is the combination of Memories and Genealogy. I would prefer them to be separated too.

GracesGranMK2 Thu 01-Feb-18 18:00:08

No reply from jolly(?)g I notice. I wonder if the OP alone achieved what they wanted?

Day6 Thu 01-Feb-18 18:18:51

"Frankly, it is not worth expressing any opinions unless you are prepared and able to use black belt judo or vehement invective against the replies. The overkill doesn't persuade or convert anyone any better than a milder response. It just sends them away from the discussion with a flea in their ear, to vote as they were going to anyway."

A good summing up Elegran.
I have vowed many a time to stay away from News and Politics as I have no desire to make enemies. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground, which is strange. Posters tend to be on one of two sides - left or right.

I suspect this tells us it's time for a new party to emerge as I imagine most gransnetters would describe themselves as only slightly left or right or centre. The Labour Party is reaping the whirlwind of not being left enough under Blair.

Yes, it's not the easiest forum but as has been mentioned, even if heavy snow is in the news, you can bet someone will blame Theresa May for the weather. Transport problems and clogged snowy roads and more ambulances needed as well as homes for little old men who have fallen in the snow and become confused will make the discussion political before long. smile

Such is life.

Elegran Thu 01-Feb-18 20:22:13

The OP hasn't achieved what jollyg wanted - which was the return of the original arrangement, one forum entitled "In the news" and another named "Politics". Why not take her post at face value without looking for a hidden agenda?

I don't think you can take anything sinister out of her not re-appearing on the thread, as the only thing she has posted recently has been a reply to all the posts thanking her for bravely hosting the Burns meeting last Friday. I hope that she hasn't fallen victim to any flu bugs brought in from distant parts (from York, as well as many faraway corners of Scotland). As one of the oldest of us she is very vulnerable to such viruses.

POGS Thu 01-Feb-18 21:03:03

I find no issue with how the OP worded her question.

I find no issue with the perfectly reasonable point/question the OP raised.

It is my belief when I joined Gransnet 'News' had it's own thread and' Politics ' had it's own thread. I remember comments at the time queried why they were suddenly joined together.

If I am mistaken perhaps GN could set my memory straight!

I think the OP is simply hoping that by separating the two there would be an end to the highly confrontational rhetoric that has reared it's ugly head again over the last couple of years but alas I think that ship has sailed.

varian Fri 02-Feb-18 19:38:09

News can be discussed with or without a political dimension,depending on the news.

Politics may be discussed in an abstract sense, with reference to theory but those of us who are inclined to discuss politics often feel quite passionately about our political views.

It is possible to disagree on politics without descending into personal abuse and I think it is best to remember that.

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Feb-18 19:48:07

The OP hasn't achieved what jollyg wanted - which was the return of the original arrangement, one forum entitled "In the news" and another named "Politics". Why not take her post at face value without looking for a hidden agenda?

jollyg for what it's worth - I agree with you.

News is News
Politics is also News - but some News is not political.

maryeliza54 Fri 02-Feb-18 21:23:45

But imagine the bunfight deciding that?