Gransnet forums

News & politics

Something rotten?

(129 Posts)
SueDonim Thu 08-Feb-18 10:46:22

I see that the Freemasons are complaining about being discriminated against. As someone points out here, how are they discriminated against when they're a secret society and we don't know who they are? confused

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42986319

Eloethan Thu 08-Feb-18 10:11:44

I agree whitewave. If it's all so above board and innocent, why the need for such secrecy?

I had thought it was illegal for a police officer to be a Freemason, but apparently not. I read that Sadiq Khan is refusing to make London police officers declare if they are in the Masons. Perhaps he has been advised that unless laws are specifically brought in, it would be illegal to do this. Anyway, I find it disappointing.

whitewave Thu 08-Feb-18 09:54:35

The chap in charge was on television this morning, saying in essence that they are a jolly fun organisation, where members go to become upstanding members of society take part in silly little ceremonies and then go for a jolly nice meal. Oh and we do a lot for charity.

What a load of b.........ks. In our family we have had members and grandmasters and there is no doubt that they continually scratch each other’s back as well as work against non-members.

People in positions of power should be forced to declare their interest.

Eloethan Thu 08-Feb-18 09:48:55

A recent headline in the Independent:

"Secret Freemasons' lodges for politicians and journalists operating at Westminster:

"Lodges for MPs, peers, parliamentary staff and journalists said to be so covert most lobby reporters were unaware of their existence" www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/freemasons-lodges-operating-secretly-westminster-parliament-mps-lobby-journalists-david-staples-a8194411.html

I don't think this should be allowed. What do others think?