Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeremy Paxman says 'no votes for pensioners'

(647 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 10:34:30

Good morning!

In the Daily Mail yesterday, a story quoted Jeremy Paxman saying that pensioners had 'betrayed young people' and that, as a result, over 65s shouldn't be allowed to vote.

He also said: ‘I think that my generation have behaved like spoilt children. And, like spoilt children, our response is “it’s not my fault”. It’s never our bloody fault.

‘Actually, it is, because we have failed to recognise the consequences of our behaviour.’

Here's the full story: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5370159/Ban-spoilt-elderly-voting-says-Jeremy-Paxman.html

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

lemongrove Fri 09-Feb-18 10:46:30

The British people were given a choice and the choice came down on the side of leaving the EU.It certainly wasn’t all or even most over 65’s that voted that way.
Blaming older voters is simply a divisive way to cause trouble, Paxman is jumping on a bandwagon of ‘celebrities’
Who are doing this.If the vote had gone the other way nobody would castigate younger voters.
At 65 there could well be another 30 years of life left to live, Love, and vote!
It is adding to the cult of the young, who must have everything go their own way.

maryeliza54 Fri 09-Feb-18 10:54:06

If it’s in the DM, every word of it will be absolutely true and the reporting on it fair and balanced

Scribbles Fri 09-Feb-18 10:54:30

I endorse everything lemongrove said above. If there are so many "betrayed" younger people out there, how come more of them didn't turn out and vote in June 2016?

whitewave Fri 09-Feb-18 10:59:18

Ah! So easy to point the finger at the young. That doesn’t remotely excuse what the Brexit vote will do to the future generations and this country as a whole

The economic argument is lost. Expect a lot more finger pointing in diversion of the truth.

MissAdventure Fri 09-Feb-18 11:01:12

I don't think there should be fingers pointed in any direction. Discrimination is never pleasant.

durhamjen Fri 09-Feb-18 11:02:22

I don't endorse everything that lemon said because she's wrong. It was a majority of over 65s who voted to leave.

Fennel Fri 09-Feb-18 11:16:02

It sounds as if Jeremy Paxman is "losing it" as the current phrase goes. He's becoming more and more eccentric.

Lyndylou Fri 09-Feb-18 11:18:16

I have read the article and it doesn't seem to mention Brexit at all. It's about State pensions, house prices and the apparent ease that all present pensioners had in getting constant full time work all their lives.

durhamjen Fri 09-Feb-18 11:19:14

At least he's saying for all pensioners, not just women.
Does he mean for all people over pensionable age, because I notice he is not collecting his state pension as he doesn't need it?
He's got 3 grown up kids. Is he saying that he just sat back and watched the value of his house go up whilst not helping his own kids on the housing ladder, because I certainly helped mine, and my house is worth less than theirs now. Perhaps I should ask for my money back.

maryeliza54 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:19:19

Well I googled the story - the only links are the DM article ( written by their show business correspondant) and this thread. There is a link to similar things he said 18 months ago- bet this thread will soon be on FB

varian Fri 09-Feb-18 11:19:37

Paxo is a Tory and he's not the only Tory who's lost it.

durhamjen Fri 09-Feb-18 11:20:33

Perhaps he's got to say things like that because his new wife is only 38. He's got to be on the side of the youngsters.

Marmight Fri 09-Feb-18 11:26:47

About time Jezza was put out to pasture. He's becoming an increasingly grumpy old bampot.
Are there public records which confirm that the majority of the over 65s voted to leave??

Oldwoman70 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:28:49

This is in a speech he made at an event held by Intelligence Squared, a debating society. I think it is easy for him to say he doesn't claim his pension and that pensioners shouldn't get the heating allowance etc. as he was earning £800,000 for presenting Newsnight and £240,000 for chairing University Challenge. If I had been earning that kind of money I wouldn't want my pension either.

A quick google search finds he has admitted he doesn't always vote and has employed domestic help paying them less than the minimum wage.

harrigran Fri 09-Feb-18 11:44:55

Jeremy Paxman doesn't live in the same world as us, for a supposedly intelligent man he makes some stupid comments.

Poppyred Fri 09-Feb-18 11:50:10

Older voters who voted out did so for the love of their children and grandchildren. Completely fed up of being bled dry and told what to do by the Germans and French. If there had been a serious review and major changes made to the way the Union is managed, more people would have been willing to give it another chance.

Teetime Fri 09-Feb-18 11:52:41

Oh dear I suppose I'd better stop saying how much I fancy JP!hmm

Oldwoman70 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:54:25

Teetime hope you are receiving help grin

hildajenniJ Fri 09-Feb-18 12:13:41

It wasn't just older voters. I worked in Waitrose when the result of the referendum was announced. The majority of the staff were young people, and when the result was broadcast a huge cheer went up from the shop floor. Why doesn't Jeremy Paxman just get over it, and get on with it?

Lazigirl Fri 09-Feb-18 12:24:31

Paxman lives in a parallel universe to most in this country and has no idea how many live. Perhaps he should spend some time away from his rich and media chums and relocate to the Midlands or North East before he makes sweeping generalisations about over 65s. Many pensioners are comfortably off, but there is a sizeable proportion who ar poor and depend on their pension and winter fuel payments etc to live. I am one of the 36% of the over 65s who voted Remain, but can understand why 64% didn't. Has he forgotten his family history and great grandmother? Just because he doesn't always use his vote that is no reason the rest of us should become disenfranchised.

ninny Fri 09-Feb-18 13:13:05

Bloody cheek. A good idea though would be to pension off at 65 MPs starting with Corbyn who's 68 I think.

Breda Fri 09-Feb-18 13:33:43

I do think that there was some merit in the argument for restricting the vote in the EU referendum to those under the age of 65 as ultimately that vote was very much about the future of the younger people in the U.K. I’m not so sure that I agree with restrictions in general or local elections though, when the decisions that government takes are more about the more pressing immediate issues.

I understand though that most people would not accept such a proposal.

Oldwoman70 Fri 09-Feb-18 13:42:07

Breda - even someone over the age of 65 could live for another 30 years or more (my own mother is 92 and I had a great aunt who is 103 when she died), are you suggesting they should be disenfranchised for 30 or even 40 years? The effects of the EU referendum affect everyone not just the young.

Teetime Fri 09-Feb-18 13:51:40

Well said oldwoman70
PS I have always had a strange taste in men. Happy to put JP up here in the East Midlands if he needs to escape his London life!!! grin
PPS I voted leave and don't mind who knows it.